steve3344
8 posters

Go down

Paul Pierce could be hurt again Empty Paul Pierce could be hurt again

Post by steve3344 Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:49 am

As teammates recover, a scare for Pierce
By Julian Benbow
Globe Staff / January 18, 2010

WALTHAM - Just as he was starting to improve after undergoing two surgeries and missing four games because of a knee infection, Paul Pierce collided with Shelden Williams at the end of practice yesterday, banging his knee in the spot where he had the procedures.

The Celtics captain left the court to have the knee wrapped in ice.

Williams said, “We got tangled up, that’s it, nothing big. He went out on a screen, I showed, we got tangled up in our legs. It hit more of my shin, so I’m not sure if it hit his knee or what.’’

Since returning to the lineup Jan. 6 against Miami, Pierce has played 40 or more minutes four times in six games. He’s averaged 19.5 points this month.

“It’s just amazing the luck right now with things like that,’’ said coach Doc Rivers. “That’s why he was so upset. He said, ‘Man, that’s right on the spot that was starting to feel better.’ ’’

The Celtics play Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks tonight at TD Garden.

Rasheed Wallace, who missed three games with a foot injury, went through the entire practice and likely will play tonight.

Kevin Garnett (knee) participated while the offense went through some plays without facing the defense.

“We don’t have [Garnett] on the court yet, but things are getting better,’’ Rivers said.

Though Friday’s home game against the Blazers was the latest target date for Garnett to return, Rivers said that isn’t set in stone.

Garnett will practice some tomorrow, the coach said, and will go through a three-on-three session Thursday.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Paul Pierce could be hurt again Empty Re: Paul Pierce could be hurt again

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Steve,

Are you aware of anything in league rules that prevent us from changing our uniforms to green body-armour? We've had an incredible run of injuries and often freak ones at that. One would think the rash of bad luck is due to change.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by ExistentialParquet Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Or huge bubble suits. It would change the face of the game as we know it. Would it be a travel if they changed their pivot hand? I forgot there is no traveling in the NBA.

ExistentialParquet

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 pm

well boyz it looks like we are officially in a funk.

Aint had time to see games. What in the sam hill is wrong?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47 pm

jeb65 wrote:well boyz it looks like we are officially in a funk.

Aint had time to see games. What in the sam hill is wrong?

Jeb,

I don't know what is wrong, beyond I don't think we've had our whole roster healthy for even one game. But I did learn a new expression as you sent me to google for "Sam Hill." Never heard that before.

Last edited by bobc33 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speeling)

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 am

bob33

least i'm good for somethin. You dont reckon doc has lost the team do you? I am startin to worrie a ted.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:11 am

jeb65 wrote:bob33

least i'm good for somethin. You dont reckon doc has lost the team do you? I am startin to worrie a ted.

I don't think so. They wouldn't be the first good veteran team to think they can turn it on when needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:25 am

lotta cats banged up. you worried?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:55 am

Guy's the team is flat and going now where. If we are going to live and die by KG's knees its going to be a long summer. Even with Daniels in the game, he would not have helped. This team when it runs will cream any team in the league. However we can only run in spurts and when we slow it down to half court we die.

Production from key players are not forth coming. House has not been House. He has lost his 3 pt shot. Ya, he'll hit one or two during any one game but the explosiveness we saw from him last year and two years ago are gone. He also is a terrible defensive liability on the court. So if he is not scoring he is costing us points at the other end.

Big Baby is a total bust from last year. He is not crashing the boards as he did last year and looks to have lost at least 6-8 inches on his leaping ability. As far as his scoring goes, he looks lost out there. Where is his 10-15 ft shot we saw last year. No where!

I posted an interesting stat on rebounding which shows the Celtics way down on both offense and defensive rebounding compared with the rest of the league. That will catch up and kill us come play-off time.

As far as Doc goes, I don't know what makes him tick sometimes especially with Walker and Giddens. If you think they cannot play, trade'em. If not why not put them in when we need a little run and gun to keep the other team on their heels. Now Williams, where was he but buried on the bench tonight and Scal playing power forward. Give me a break!

I can tell you one thing. There will be a multi player trade soon. I know Wyc said this is the team but with my being around corporate shakers in my business career, when he said that I know just the opposite will occur. Why? "Cause this is the Celtics year to win it all. If not the team will be dismantled come summer. It cannot be any other way or we will be in for a long stretch of just so, so teams.

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:10 am

Guys, back in December I related how concerned I was with the Celtics' MANNER of play. I listed things such as pacing, poor player and ball movement, relying too much on 3-point shooting, poor rebounding technique, and definately a huge drop-off of quality play in 3rd and 4th quarters - especially 4th quarters.

I was politely chastised for questioning Celtics play considering injuries. I argued that it was much more deep-seated than that. Much more complex than expecting things to turn around when KG and Daniels make it back on court.

I became frustrated when no one burt myself wanted to pursue the possibility other factors trumped the injury bug. Finally I said "only time will tell". Well, things have gotten even worse. 4th quarter play has deteriorated even more. Assists, field goal %-ages have dropped even more. Defense and rebounding have become more of a problem. Player movement late in games has reached an alltime low. The Dallas Mavericks ran the Celtics into the ground tonite, and the Mavericks don't exactly have young legs.

No, the problems are more deep-seated and complex than injuries. They were brought to everyone's attention in December for discussion but no one wanted to believe it.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:14 am

I agree 100% SD, so where do we start to fix the problem. I have spelled out some of my thoughts in past posts. What do you say?

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:40 am

Sdcelt

KG is the heart of our d. I think for me I will wait and see what happens when he is back on the court for ten games.

But it sure seems like somethin aint right. I cant really comment too much cause I have not been able to see the games.

Is PP right? Is Wallace right? Health wise? Eddie aint producing. But call me crazy I still think when we get everybody back we will be right there.

I just hope we can get healthy and age has not caught us.

So fingers crossed for health. And just an ounce of good luck.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:45 am

112288 wrote:Guy's the team is flat and going now where. If we are going to live and die by KG's knees its going to be a long summer. Even with Daniels in the game, he would not have helped. This team when it runs will cream any team in the league. However we can only run in spurts and when we slow it down to half court we die.

Production from key players are not forth coming. House has not been House. He has lost his 3 pt shot. Ya, he'll hit one or two during any one game but the explosiveness we saw from him last year and two years ago are gone. He also is a terrible defensive liability on the court. So if he is not scoring he is costing us points at the other end.

Big Baby is a total bust from last year. He is not crashing the boards as he did last year and looks to have lost at least 6-8 inches on his leaping ability. As far as his scoring goes, he looks lost out there. Where is his 10-15 ft shot we saw last year. No where!

I posted an interesting stat on rebounding which shows the Celtics way down on both offense and defensive rebounding compared with the rest of the league. That will catch up and kill us come play-off time.

As far as Doc goes, I don't know what makes him tick sometimes especially with Walker and Giddens. If you think they cannot play, trade'em. If not why not put them in when we need a little run and gun to keep the other team on their heels. Now Williams, where was he but buried on the bench tonight and Scal playing power forward. Give me a break!

I can tell you one thing. There will be a multi player trade soon. I know Wyc said this is the team but with my being around corporate shakers in my business career, when he said that I know just the opposite will occur. Why? "Cause this is the Celtics year to win it all. If not the team will be dismantled come summer. It cannot be any other way or we will be in for a long stretch of just so, so teams.

Some of this I agree with – but some of it, just seems to come out of left field IMO.

How can you say having Daniels and KG in the line up last night wouldn’t have helped? The more fresh, talented players you have available, the more you can run – so of course these two would make a big difference to the team’s ability to play fast break for an extended period of time. KG would have also added another big body to throw a Dirk. Apples and oranges if you add those two players to last nights game.

I agree with the Eddie House and Glen Davis comments. Not sure what Eddie’s problem is, Davis is just not there mentally or physically. Like he got his money and mailed it in.

There is NO WAY Sheldon Williams could every guard Dirk - I don’t even know how you can make this argument.

For the rest, I cant say what will happen trade wise – but I think if you see a trade, that will mean that KG is not going to come back 100% and that will be a lot more telling than any kind of minuscule improvement they could make by adding an otherwise washed up veteran.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 am

I never said KG in the line-up last night, I said Daniels. Look, we got Rasheed as a back-up starter to Kg if he got hurt as well as 2nd unit guy. If you read, I said that if we are relying on KG to be the white knight to carry us over the finish line, it is way too risky because of his knee which could go at any given moment.

Williams would have come in for Rasheed and played against the other 2nd unit center for Dallas. However, Williams is a banger and would have done a nice physical job on Dirk as Dirk did to Perk all night.

As for a trade. I am looking at 2nd unit production out of 3 key spots, Big Baby at power forward, Eddie House and shooting guard, and point guard. All have been sub par positions for production thus far this season with whom they have played.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down