+3
RosalieTCeltics
kdp59
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

USA Basketball Still Loves Smart Empty USA Basketball Still Loves Smart

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:12 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4714191/usa-basketball-still-loves-smart

USA Basketball still loves Smart
July, 28, 2014
JUL 28 8:15 AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

USA Basketball Still Loves Smart Bos_g_smaat_cr_576x324
Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty Images

Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart is one of only two rookies on USA Basketball's select team that opens a four-day training with the national team on Monday in Las Vegas.

Smart has cemented his place in the USA Basketball pipeline in recent years, especially after helping the under-19 squad win gold at the World Championships in Prague last summer (where he averaged 9.6 points, 2.8 rebounds, 2.4 steals and 2.2 assists in nine games). Smart also attended the national team's mini camp last July in Las Vegas.

While the Celtics are confident they secured an impact player with the No. 6 pick in June's draft, USA Basketball's recent confidence in Smart speaks volume about what the national team believes his potential is.

Here's an ESPN blog entry from last summer in advance of USA Basketball's mini camp:

USA Basketball Loves Marcus Smart  
Jerry Colangelo and Mike Krzyzewski always have their list of unimpeachable national team selections, players like LeBron James and Chris Paul. But they are always on the lookout for young talent, too. This is especially true in off-years, when there are no Olympics on the immediate horizon. The net ends up being a win both for USA Basketball and for basketball in the U.S. The number of young players that emerged from the 2010 FIBA World Championships as bona fide NBA stars is a perfect example. This confluence can work for everyone.

From July 22-25, Team USA is holding its annual minicamp in Las Vegas, which will include a handful of closed practices followed by an event-ending showcase at the Thomas & Mack Center at UNLV. Still one year removed from the 2014 FIBAs, and three years away from the next Olympics, this summer is all about young talent -- collecting it in one place, drilling with Coach K and the rest of Team USA's staff, and starting to think about which group should make up the next young-ish batch of players at the FIBA World Championships.

Naturally, all of these players are in the NBA. There is just one exception: Marcus Smart. [Note: Creighton's Doug McDermott, who is the other rookie on this year's select team, was later added to the minicamp]

Yes, the Oklahoma State rising sophomore -- national freshman and Big 12 player of the year in 2012-13 -- is the only non-NBA player invited to take part in minicamp in Las Vegas this month. Even more impressive: Team USA didn't invite a single player from this year's draft. Everyone else on the list -- which you can see in full here -- has played at least one full season in the NBA, and oftentimes several.

Naturally, Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford is thrilled with this development.

"We're very excited for Marcus," Ford said in a release. "It's an incredible honor to be the lone college player to be selected. It's a great honor for him and our program. He continues to represent us in a first-class manner, both on and off the court."

And there were plenty of stories like this last summer. From CBS Sports: "Easy to understand why USA Basketball loves Marcus Smart" and from Sports Illustrated: "With USA Basketball, Marcus Smart gets a taste of the dream he deferred."

Much like with Kelly Olynyk getting international game reps with Canada's men's national program during its 11-game exhibition slate overseas, it can seemingly only help Boston's young talent to get national team exposure this early in their NBA careers. Yes, there's always the risk of injury, but the experience almost certainly outweighs that danger.

bob
MY NOTE:  Nice that he's getting exposure against real NBA talent (as opposed to summer league talent).  It looks like, in the picture, he's talking to Thibs.  If that's the case, "then suck it all up, kid!"

The bad news is that most of this article by Forsberg is just a regurgitation of a column by another ESPN writer last year about college basketball.

Shame on you, Forsberg. Either take the summer off or write something new and relevant.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

USA Basketball Still Loves Smart Empty Re: USA Basketball Still Loves Smart

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:38 pm

I think I have underestimated this kid. I ahve been reading a lot of stuff like this in the past few weeks, including one that said he may have gone as high as #2 if he came out last year.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:18 pm

I really am wondering, is this the demise of Rondo????

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:32 pm

It's too soon to tell. I mean, for Pete's Sake, he hasn't laced up an NBA sneaker in a game that actually means something yet, but I'm seeing Smart as a "DJ-type" of player. A one-and-a-half, whose calling card is defense but who can run an offense also. He's faster than DJ (same height), heavier and stronger than DJ and probably has a longer wingspan than DJ. I don't see him becoming a Rondo or Paul or even a Westbrook. I see him as a guy who can play PG with Bradley while Rondo rests (Bradley could guard the PG. Think of this as The Pitbulls (Bradley and Lee) except with an upgrade at ballhandling and shooting) or gunner Marcus Thornton. He could also play SG with Rondo or Pressey.

Things will become much more clear by the trading deadline in February, if not before. We have 2 months before camp and have players on the roster who cannot be traded for 3-4 weeks anyway.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:04 pm

I'll take a second coming of DJ any time. It's not every day that a guy comes along with the sheer mental toughness of DJ without even mentioning his skill set.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Likewise. I loved his game, he was one tough basketball player. Larry always said he loved playing with him.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 pm

DJ was one of the underrated and under appreciated players of all time.

Bird called him the greatest he's ever played with.

Russell said that DJ was among the top three or four guards to ever play for the Celtics.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:07 pm

I think I mentioned the similarity to DJ a few days ago: not the greatest shooter but improved his shot over time.  .Not a classic floor general but may benefit from playing with some pretty decent point forwards.  One of the strongest guys at his position(s) and an energy guy.  Seems made for defense.  A description of DJ would also include compliments about his performance in the clutch.  Here's hoping the same will apply to Smart.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:08 pm

My entire world has gone topsy turvy with the news that Forsberg would ever regurgitate the work of others.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Seems to be the new way of reporting, Watch television. The guys on Comcast try to tell "breaking stories" after they read Bleacher Reports, like they are the most informed source.

The only one I believe now is Wojo and Spears. 

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Rosalie,

I'm on the fence about Spears.  I believe Jackie and Bullpett as well as Wojo.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Sam. Years ago I used to go on the compter and there was a show on Sunday nights where Marc Spears was on while he was with the Globe. It was fun, probably part of BDC, I really can't remember. Maybe you can, my memory sometimes gets a little muddled.

Had a meeting with a sidewalk about a week and a half ago. Just could not walk. I was in a coffee shop, got up, walked out the door, bounced off a couple of cars!!! I went to the er, dehydrated and over medicated! I am fine other than my chin looks like I went ten rounds with Mike Tyson! Always something!

Rosali
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:26 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Sam. Years ago I used to go on the compter and there was a show on Sunday nights where Marc Spears was on while he was with the Globe.  It was fun, probably part of BDC, I really can't remember. Maybe you can, my memory sometimes gets a little muddled.

Had a meeting with a sidewalk about a week and a half ago. Just could not walk. I was in a coffee shop, got up, walked out the door, bounced off a couple of cars!!! I went to the er, dehydrated and over medicated! I am fine other than my chin looks like I went ten rounds with Mike Tyson!  Always something!

Rosali

Rosalie,

I do hope you take care of yourself. I look forward to meeting you in person again.

Could be worse, it could be your ear that looks like it went 10 rounds with Tyson. There wouldn't be much left.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 am

Here's an addition to this thread from a Gary Parrish piece from last year.

Smart is in elite company, and it's all a testament to the impression he's made on USA Basketball the past two summers while winning championships at the U-18 and U-19 levels. Even when Smart doesn't play well, he still leads and competes intensely and consistently in a way that impresses everybody, Ford included.

"I've never been around another player in my whole life -- not when I was a player and not since I've been a coach -- that is able to bring it EVERY SINGLE DAY," Ford said. "I don't care if it's two-a-days, three-a-days or five-a-days. I don't care if it's 6 a.m. I don't care if it's the day after a big win. It's ridiculous. I knew he was a great leader, but it's even been a shock to me. Everybody, at some point, has a bad day in terms of coming ready to play. But he never takes a day off. He comes everyday to win every drill. Everyday. Every drill. I don't care when it is or what it is. Everyday he's ready. It's ridiculous."

That's a strong quote. And, I can tell you, it's not an opinion unique to Ford. Over the past year, I've talked with nearly everybody connected to USA Basketball who has worked with Smart -- from Florida's Billy Donovan to Gonzaga's Mark Few to VCU's Shaka Smart. They all absolutely love him, even admire him, as a leader and competitor.

Here are some tweets from the current USA Basketball scrimmages:

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO
Follow
Celtics rookie Marcus Smart really opening eyes as member of Select Team in scrimmages vs Team USA. Going up against Kyrie, Rose, Wall, etc.
7:47 PM - 29 Jul 2014

Matt Gibson @DimeMatt
Follow
Marcus Smart is lighting it up. Just hit three consecutive 3s at #USAmbb minicamp
1:51 PM - 29 Jul 2014

Tim Cato @tim_cato
Follow
Marcus Smart just hit a NBA 3-pointer without hesitation at Team USA camp so that's scary.

P. @POLO_DRO
Follow
One thing Marcus Smart is excellent at is on ball defense. Putting the straps on Kyrie currently

unknown @_eeus
Follow
Marcus smart ballin in this scrimmage cuffing john wall
1:52 PM - 29 Jul 2014

bob
MY NOTE:  I've waffled about whether we should have taken Vonleh, and Smart's shooting % in Orlando didn't help, but his defense is NBA ready and now he's going up against the best in the league, Irving and Rose and Wall, and he's holding his own.

Looking good, Danny, looking good so far. I can't wait to see what effect his effort has on Rondo and Bradley.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:30 am

No surprise here.

And no surprise someone would comment on his apparent comfort and effectiveness taking a 3.

One of the knocks on Smart pre-draft was his shooting, especially beyond the arc.  One of the silliest things I would read, and check me carefully here because this first part makes those who don't understand the complexities of the offense shake their head, is that he had a low percentage shooting from the outside.  What those who judge a players ability to shoot from the outside on numbers alone fail to consider is that you don't just set the player out there and have him shoot.  What kind of offense are you running and what design plays are getting him out there?  What spacing is he getting the opportunity to take advantage of and is he being forced into multiple defender situations.  On plays that break down is he drawing one-on-one coverage or more?  Judging an effective shooter is more than his 3-point percentage alone.  Although the math is certainly an indicator, it's just one of many.  You have to actually sit and watch some games and go beyond the raw percentage.

Therefore, despite shooting percentages that have led some to be critical of Smart's ability to play the 2 as well as the point, Smart can shoot it some.

This is one more reason Smart was clearly the best player available in the draft not named Parker or Wiggins.  In my estimation, when you include risk and longevity, Smart may very well turn out to have been as valuable a selection as Embiid.  Time will tell.  Among the positions we needed to improve at, and that's every position, I think it will turn out we got very lucky here selecting this particular guard.  We'll work on getting our badly needed bigs, of course, but I think we made the right pick and got ourselves one multi-dimensional guard with a very high ceiling and the work ethic to fulfill his potential.

Last edited by NYCelt on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:32 am

I read a report or blog somewhere, I believe that it might have been Celtics Blog, that they thought the Celtics should trade for Bledsoe, give them Smart.

Why is everyone so quick to want to trade this kid?
It is like what Cleveland is doing with Wiggins, I think
they may live to regret that and it will serve them right. I know Love is good, but I really feel he is a bit overrated. 

Danny is going to have some tough decisions in the next six months, especially with regards to Rondo. I personally see RR coming back and really be ready to play great. I know that this will make him more appealing to others, but, also, will make it hard to trade him. This situation with players hitting the time for the big pay day is going nuts. So many guys want max deals that really do not deserve them, that it forces teams to get rid of guys they would have kept at a reasonable salary. (AKA Jon Lester of the Boston Red Sox).

Thanks for the kind words Bob, I am fine, the side walk wishes it never met me!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:35 am

Rosalie,

I agree with you.

...also glad to hear it's Rosalie 1 - sidewalk 0. Stay well.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:38 pm

My opinion about Marcus Smart:
He was the best player on the board at #6.
He could be a stud in the NBA.
Could be a perennial defensive stopper.
Will be a volume scorer because he is not hesitant to shoot.
He has not shown to be a good shooter AT ALL in college or the Summer League, BUT, he has a good form on his shot. For some reason, they just don't go in.
He seems to have a bit of a crazy streak in him that would concern me a little bit. He's probably going to have a rough time the first few years with the referees because of his mentality and aggressiveness.
I really don't blame him much for going into the stands and pushing the fan. I believe that guy called him the N word.
I'm not sure Marcus will be a 1 or a 2 in the NBA and might not really excel in either position but he should be a very good combo guard.
If all of the guards stay on the roster (Rondo, Smart, Bradley, Thornton), it will be interesting to see how the playing time is divided up.

I like the Lakers pick of Julius Randle, but I wish they could have drafted Smart instead. I would project Smart as having a higher upside than Randle has.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:10 pm

I still have to be convinced that Smart can be an NBA floor general.  I continue to think of him more as a shooting guard even though his shooting accuracy could be called into question.  In addition to others' comments, I believe he has had difficulties finding a rhythm in his shot selection.  He has tended to shoot after thinking rather than out of the flow of the action.  Playing at the NBA level should help in this regard, because NBA talents tend to gravitate toward rhythm.

I'm not a fan of the term "combo player" because I feel it is too frequently used to designate a player who is neither a "1" nor a "2."  Sort of a 1.5-by-default who is just okay at both positions.  I believe a good combo guard should be a player who can play at a reasonably high level at both positions.  I feel Smart's potential for playing at a high level is greater at the "2" than the "1."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down