cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
Sam
8 posters

Go down

Our Beloved Friend, Jeb Empty Our Beloved Friend, Jeb

Post by Sam Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:37 pm

To All Board Members:

I have received an email from "Bosox Bob," who kept us informed about Jeb's situation as Jeb valiantly fought the odds. I'm posting his message to all of us, along with my response (which I hope was adequate) and his email address.  I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear from any members and would also be happy to pass along messages to Jeb's wife, Dawn.

His email address is: bosoxbob8@comcast.net

Sam

Here's Bob's email:

Sam,

Yesterday was the anniversary of our mutual friend's passing and I thought I might share some thoughts and updates.

I spent a few hours last nite reminiscing with Dawn about our joys,laughter,love and overwhelming sadness that still permeates.

As for hoops,which was his passion,he would have been all in on San Antonio winning,had interesting and unique perspectives on Lebron,Love,Lakers,Bulls,and all things Celts.He would be drooling with optimism on cap space,draft picks,and putting the puzzle pieces together that have us having a shot in just a few years.

After a few years taking the slow steps to overcome her grief,Dawn has recreated her life and in a very good place.She'sin a wonderful,loving relationship and is currently producing a documentary.John,I know,is filled with happiness that she has found herself at peace.

I know how much he so loved this place.He had a way of expressing thoughts and opinions unlike anyone I've ever met and I'm so glad you all were here to experience him.

Regards,

Bob

And here's my response:

Bob,

Thank you so much for your communication about John.  I had tried, several times, to reach Dawn but couldn't track her down.  I'm so glad that she is in a good place, and I hope you'll wish her all the best from all the members of our forum.

John is very much in our thoughts.  Each year, we induct several members into our Hall of Fame, of which John is the only charter member, and the award bears his name.  Bob Heckler, one of our members, has adopted John's picture as his avatar.  On one of our forums, our "Game-on" thread of 2011, the very last post is John's, so his name is in front of us every day.  And John still ranks among the leaders in terms of number of posts on our forum.

All of those things mean a great deal, but it is the essence of John that most resonates.  On a personal basis, each time I visit San Francisco, I reminisce about the last time I saw John, riding off into the night on his bike.  Things get pretty blurry at those moments.  All of us feel blessed to have had such a singular individual in our midst because John was definitely one of a kind.  His insights offered fresh viewpoints, expressed so creatively that his words always struck a chord of some time—often folksy humor and sometimes irony or stark reality—but always thought-provoking.

I'll be sure to post your email on the forum, and I know everyone will be very moved by your words and by once again having the memory of Jeb in the forefront of our minds.

All the best to you and to Dawn.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Our Beloved Friend, Jeb Empty Re: Our Beloved Friend, Jeb

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Proud to wave his picture as my avatar.

Miss you, Jeb. Talk to me, Goose.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks for sharing Sam, I really enjoyed jebs wit and insights of the game and life too. I'm sorry I never made it to the SF board party to meet jeb as hearing how you all had a great time and meeting another great fella who bleeds green as much as me would have been a delight!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:03 pm

"Delight" is the perfect word, Cow.  That's what he was.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Our Beloved Friend, Jeb 14-6710

Jeb's last avatar....

gone but always remembered fondly, and lurking around here !!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi,
I always enjoyed his posts and style. Sad he's no longer with us.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Whether we got to meet him in person or just on the board, Jeb was a dear friend to us all.. I'm hoping that if I don't manage to piss off the Great Spirit too much now i'll get to eventually meet up with Jeb somewhere down the road.
Attachments
Our Beloved Friend, Jeb Attachment
DSC_0105.JPG Jeb, your dearly missed BroYou don't have permission to download attachments.(106 Kb) Downloaded 7 times
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:02 pm

I've had to let this sit for a while. I knew I wanted to write something, but it took a day for my mind to settle down so that I could do it. Rather than attempt to say the same thing in another way, here's the email I sent to Bosox Bob.

Bob,

I didn't have the pleasure of meeting John, the fellow member of Sam's Celtics Forum we knew as Jeb, in person. But as you well know, he was someone who left an indelible impression.

Most people have an impact on a close circle of family and friends, but some people have an impact on a far greater number of people, many of whom they may meet only briefly or casually. Jeb was such a person. He and I shared a particular passion for the game of basketball and the film Cool Hand Luke. I am not a born-and-bred Celtics fan, which makes me something of an outsider amid a sea of Celtic fanatics on Sam's forum (hence my screen name there -- Outside), but the ease with which I interacted with Jeb was emblematic of his essential nature.

Even though we only interacted online and did so for a relatively brief time, I considered him a friend. It boggles the mind to think of all the people he interacted with throughout his life who would think the same.

I particularly enjoyed his style of humor, keen wit, honesty, insight, and willingness to share that most precious of gifts, his time. He was full to the brim with little gems I remember as "Jebisms." They were a treat that added a smile to my day. I miss him, and even though that seems trivial compared to what those who were close to him must feel, like you and Dawn, it is an indication of how much I appreciated what he shared with those of us like me who were fortunate to meet him.

Reading your email on Sam's forum brought forth mixed feelings. I was initially struck with sadness, but that has changed over the past day to fondness as my memories of Jeb came back bit by bit. It reminds of how fortunate I am that our paths crossed.

To Jeb!

If you feel that Dawn would enjoy reading this, please feel free to forward it to her, along with all my best wishes.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:51 pm

My dad's passing was also August 13th, the same for Mickey Mantle.

As for John.........miss his posts and humor.

As for Dawn....I wish her God's Speed and hopefully a wonderful long life ahead of her.

Peace,  112288

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down