3 posters

Go down

Iverson Looks Good In Spain Empty Iverson Looks Good In Spain

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:38 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/iverson-looks-good-spain-while-waiting-cs

Iverson Looks Good In Spain Byline-blakely

Iverson looks good in Spain while waiting for C's
September 13, 2014, 7:15 pm

BOSTON — Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson is off to a good start with his new team in Spain.

Iverson, who signed a one-year deal with Laboral Kutxa Vitoria this summer, had 20 points and 12 rebounds in a preseason win on Saturday.

Drafted by the Celtics in the second round of the 2013 NBA draft, Iverson spent last season with Besiktas Integral Forex in Istanbul where he averaged 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds while appearing in 18 EuroCup games.

The 7-foot big man was hoping his play would open some eyes - and possibly a roster spot - during summer league with the Celtics.

However, there was little done in terms of shaking up the Celtics roster that would create a better opportunity for the 25-year-old to compete for a roster spot in training camp.

In fact, just the opposite occurred as Boston used its $10.3 million trade exception to acquire shooting guard Marcus Thornton and center Tyler Zeller from Brooklyn and Cleveland, respectively.

The addition of Zeller adds to an increasingly crowded frontline that currently includes a trio of centers: Zeller, Vitor Faverani and Joel Anthony. And depending on certain matchups, it would not be a huge stretch to imagine 7-footer Kelly Olynyk or possibly Jared Sullinger manning the middle for the Celtics, either.

When it became clear that Iverson just wasn't going to have much of a shot at competing for a roster spot, his camp wisely found him employment overseas with Laboral Kuxta which has had previous NBAers such as Andres Nocioni and Omar Cook.

In addition to Iverson, Laboral Kutxa recently signed former Celtic Ryan Gomes to a one-year deal.

Depending on how things play out with Boston and its roster between now and next summer, Iverson might be in the picture for a roster spot heading into the 2015-2016 season.

bob
MY NOTE:  I have two comments to make about this article.  One, it's even worse than the usual amorphous mush that Blakely pumps out.  The only new item in it is Iverson's boxscore.  It doesn't say anything about the level of talent he played against (it was a pre-season game, so he might have been playing against 2nd stringers and bubble players, like coaches often do here in pre-season.  That'd be nice to know) nor does it say the number of minutes he played in which he garnered those impressive stats.  In other words, Blakely just the headline off the AP Sports wire without looking any further or deeper and regurgitated it and then took the rest of the day off.  I realize these are still the dog days, and it's hard to come up with something interesting to write about (although Lee Lauderdale is certainly making a noble effort of it) but this is professionally embarrassing.  Of all the sportswriters that cover the Celtics we have bottom feeders like Marshall and Tanguay and then, one step above them, is Blakely.  He's not as agenda-driven as the first two, which is why he's ahead of him on the sportswriting Darwinian March of Progress (the famous cartoon of apes turning in men) but he offers very, very little to make you look forward to reading his columns.  If I want vanilla, I'll go to Baskin Robbins.  He covered the Pistons, in Detroit, for years before coming to Boston.  He might be Detroit's second most famous bust, after the Edsel.

Secondly, I'd like to say I was a bit surprised when Iverson went to Spain.  I know it should have been predictable when Anthony picked up his player option, but damn!  I thought Iverson looked pretty good in summer league.  I know the Spanish league is pretty tough.  Maybe next year, big guy, maybe next year. Anthony will be gone and there could be a slot open.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Iverson Looks Good In Spain Empty Re: Iverson Looks Good In Spain

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:13 pm

I, too, felt Iverson was going to have a shot at making this team. He has the body, skill set, and intelligence to learn the pro game. Naturally, Anthony was going to pick up his option, I do wonder if he is here to stay.

Blakely and Draper should go back where they came from. They know nothing about the history of the Celtics or the "Celtic Way". Ugh

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:26 pm

If the Celtics lost nine of their 15 players to injury, they'd still have more depth than A. Sherrod.  That first initial is all too tempting.

I'm not an Iverson fan.  Not at all!  But he does have skills that are in keeping with the offensive direction in which the NBA is headed.  That's no great compliment, coming from me....just a fact.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down