Marcus Smart Surprised After Pickup Games Against Rajon Rondo

3 posters

Go down

Marcus Smart Surprised After Pickup Games Against Rajon Rondo Empty Marcus Smart Surprised After Pickup Games Against Rajon Rondo

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/09/marcus_smart_amazed_after_pick.html

Marcus Smart surprised after pickup games against Boston Celtics teammate Rajon Rondo

Print Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com
on September 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM, updated September 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

DEDHAM – When Marcus Smart arrived in Waltham this summer, he, of course, already knew all about Rajon Rondo. Over eight years in the NBA, the 28-year-old has racked up four All-Star game appearances. He has dominated playoff games and sometimes even full series. He captured a ring in 2008 and came so close to another two years later. Anyone in the basketball world knows Rondo’s accomplishments well.

But still, watching on television couldn’t prepare Smart for everything. While competing in pick-up games “after every workout,” he said, he still marvels at his veteran teammate.

“I’ve been guarding him and he’s been guarding me,” Smart said. “It’s totally different from what I expected it to be. I’ve been saying he’s one of the premier guards and he shows it, and his play shows why he is. Some of the things he does on the court, it’s like, ‘How does he do that?’ So just being able to be around him and learn from him is an amazing feeling.”

The 20-year-old added: “Even though I knew it was coming, it still surprised me, some of the plays that he made. His court vision is unbelievable.”

One thing Smart didn’t realize before: Rondo’s physicality.

“I didn’t know he was that strong,” the rookie said. “He’s stronger than what I expected him to be. But, you know, I held my own.”

As Smart described his pickup-game experiences, one thought kept repeating itself in my brain: Man, I wish I could see those. He and Rondo might not complement each other well as teammates – we’ll see – but on opposite squads during scrimmages, I imagine they boost everyone’s competitive juices to dangerous levels. Maybe I’m wrong, but I picture the two guards hounding each other full-court, barking after made baskets, and, whenever a teammate drains a game-winner, howling at nobody in particular. Involving Avery Bradley, too, I picture the type of backcourt competition that inspires knuckle pushups.

Perhaps I’m exaggerating the impact of having three hyper-competitive guards, but I do badly wish I could see the trio in pickup action.

Anyway, the atmosphere at the Celtics practice facility isn’t always cutthroat.

“I was expecting it to be like, rookie, kind of shun me, push me to the side, kind of (make) me learn on my own,” Smart said. “But it’s nice. Those guys, when they try to help you – until we start playing, then obviously they’re trying to beat you – but when we’re working out, they’re trying to help and trying to make sure you know everything before you go out there and do it.”

A handful of Celtics spent large portions of their summer in Boston, while others arrived recently to prepare for next week’s training camp. Smart didn’t expect such full attendance at the gym.

“I figured guys would be in only when training camp started,” he said. “I talked to a lot of my colleagues from college, they (said): ‘We don’t have to be back until, like, October.’ I said, ‘I’m working out right now.’ But I guess different teams do different things with their players. I’m glad that Coach Stevens allowed us to come back and get some extra work before training camp, and get in, and get a feel with the players, because a lot of us never played with each other. It’s definitely going to be a chemistry mishap, and being able to have these workouts before training camp is a big deal.”

Also a big deal: Brad Stevens.

"Coach Stevens is unbelievable," Smart said. "I didn't really know him as much when he was at Butler, but everyone I talked to – including my coach Travis Ford at Oklahoma Stata – they all talk wonders about him. And I see why. Coming here, he really gives the players responsibility to lead. Let them do it. And he just sits back. Obviously when he has his two cents or whatever, he's going to put them in. But he's an unbelievable coach."

bob
MY NOTE:  6'4", 228# rhinoceros Marcus Smart was amazed at 6'1", 190# dripping-wet Rajon Rondo's physicality?   Ooooh, this is going to be a fun season.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart Surprised After Pickup Games Against Rajon Rondo Empty Re: Marcus Smart Surprised After Pickup Games Against Rajon Rondo

Post by Sam Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:39 am

My biggest disappointment about today's professional basketball is that fans can't see practices—except for a portion of one practice that's basically staged for season ticket holders.  Forget the level of competition, which can be pretty unforgettable.  Just seeing the coach teaching and inserting plays, and then watching the results during games, is an unparalleled rush.

Another thing that always held true when I watched practices was that the more confident and serious they were about an upcoming challenge, the more loose they were during the practice preceding the game.  The loosest I ever saw the Celtics in practice was 24 hours before the balloon game.  The most serious expressions I ever saw on the Celtics' faces was coming down the runway for the balloon game.  I always had a theory that they deliberately blew off steam with humor during important practices so as not to peak too early and waste nervous energy in their resolve to win.

Watching how the dynamics of practice may have have changed over the years would be a real treat.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart Surprised After Pickup Games Against Rajon Rondo Empty Re: Marcus Smart Surprised After Pickup Games Against Rajon Rondo

Post by dboss Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Marcus Smart will experience this same situation when he goes up against other veteran NBA guards. Why? Becasue there is strength and there is man strength. Rondo has been trained to increase his strength so while Smart has more mass, Rondo has pure strength.

A few years from now if Smart works hard he will be a physical mavel.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down