k_j_88
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Media Day Thread Empty Media Day Thread

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Rondo's Replacement
By Daniel Hebert on Sep 29 2014, 2:21p +

When asked at Celtics Media Day who he thought would replace Rondo as the team's starting point guard, Brad Stevens responded, "I think it will be by committee. It's hard to tell. Obviously we have multiple primary ball handlers on our team, and I think the primary ball handlers in my opinion are Pressey, Smart, and Turner. So we will see how that shakes itself out over the next couple of weeks." I know most Celtics fans were just hoping that the reigns would be handed over to Marcus Smart, but it looks like he will have to win the starting spot in training camp. It will also be intriguing to see if Stevens tries to play Turner as a point forward. The Celtics have struggled with having a secondary playmaker since Paul Pierce left, so maybe Turner can fill some of that void.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Media Day Thread Empty Re: Media Day Thread

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:53 pm

WIll Smart Play PG or SG?
By Daniel Hebert on Sep 29 2014, 2:29p +

Stevens was asked whether he thought Smart would play at the one or the two, and he responded, "He's a basketball player. He's not what you would consider a pure one ala a Rondo, but he's also a guy who could handle it. He can play off of pick-and-rolls. He can also play on pin-downs and actions off the ball which is pretty unique." It sounds like Stevens anticipates Smart playing a combo guard type of roll where he will get minutes at both the one and the two.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Celtics Frontcourt Rotation
By Daniel Hebert on Sep 29 2014, 2:11p +

Early on in Brad Stevens' interview on media day, he was asked about how the rotation will work for all of the Celtics bigs. He responded, "Our fours are fives and our fives are fours. We don't have a true center with the exception of maybe Zeller." He responded with what a lot of Celtics fans were thinking. Stevens has his work cut out for him determining what the Celtics front court rotation will consist of.

bob
MY NOTE: He doesn't consider Vitor a "true 5"? Oooh, that's not good.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Media Day Thread Byt8znQCYAAqwrS

Jared Weiss @CLNS_JaredWeiss
Follow
The blank banner in the #Celtics gym next to the ‘08 banner. #CelticsMediaDay #OnBoard
10:40 AM - 29 Sep 2014

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:57 pm

Media Day Thread Byt_6wcIUAEsbLs

A. Sherrod Blakely @SherrodbCSN
Follow
Marcus Smart and James Young at media day, rocking their Young and Smart tees. #Celticstalk
10:54 AM - 29 Sep 2014
42 RETWEETS  47 FAVORITES

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Media Day Thread Byt56KqIIAA2n_O

James Toscano @Jimmy_Toscano
Follow
Rondo wearing a sling talking to the legend himself.
10:28 AM - 29 Sep 2014
26 RETWEETS  15 FAVORITES

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Leon Powe rejoining Celtics(!)
By wjsy on Sep 29 2014, 1:27p +

Mark Murphy @Murf56
Follow
Celtics have hired Leon Powe into the front office. Position still to be defined. "Whatever Danny wants me to."
10:10 AM - 29 Sep 2014
42 RETWEETS 31 FAVORITES

Follow
#Celtics have hired Leon Powe for a community/player related position. His exact role TBD. #Celticstalk
10:22 AM - 29 Sep 2014
34 RETWEETS 41 FAVORITES

bob
MY NOTE: Now THIS makes me very happy. I'm so happy for the junkyard dog. What a fine man. Go Powe!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Media Day Thread 20130930_jla_sv3_294.0_cinema_1050.0

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Podium Game: Rajon Rondo
By wjsy on Sep 29 2014, 2:51p +

David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports
Rajon Rondo addressed the media and answered questions about TrampolineGate to his pending free agency.

Here's the Twitter round up from Rondo's media availability:

Media Day Thread ByuB4tKIEAEaQvm

Follow
Rajon Rondo comes out in a sling with Danny Ainge to kick off #Celtics Media Day
11:03 AM - 29 Sep 2014
3 RETWEETS  1 FAVORITE

Follow
Rondo says he slipped and tried to catch his hand. “It wasn’t like a banana slip, I caught my knuckle.” Says he’s out 10 weeks.
11:03 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach
Follow
Rondo says some doctors have told him rehab could be 10 weeks, but doctor he trusts says it should be closer to 6.
11:08 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Jay King @ByJayKing
Follow
Rondo says compared to ACL, "this is nothing." Frustrated instantly but got over it quickly. "I don't think it will be a setback."
11:07 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Follow
Rondo says he is in the best shape of his life and had his best standard preseason heart EKG test of his career. #Celtics
11:07 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Scott Souza @scott_souza
Follow
#Celtics captain Rajon Rondo talked about still being able to lean "new system" Brad Stevens is implementing (so that's new) during camp.
11:08 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg
Follow
Rondo with a definite "yes" when asked if he wants to stay in Boston. Says fans here make him want to stay.
11:11 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Jay King @ByJayKing
Follow
Rondo on Stevens: "he's the most positive coach I've ever had. ... He's actually the guy I call to work out with. That's pretty unusual."
11:14 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Chris Forsberg @ESPNForsberg
Follow
Rondo asked if he sees himself as a max contact guy. Answers "yes" as Ainge playfully blinks hard next to him.
11:14 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Quick thoughts: this was classic cagey Rondo dealing with the media.  He answered a reporter's question about TrampolineGate with the seriousness of a police interrogation and deadpanned "yes, I'm a max player" with GM Danny Ainge sitting right next to him.  Doctors have told him that it could take up to 10 weeks before he can return to the floor, but of course, the guy that dislocated his elbow against the Heat and played the next game thinks it'll be closer to 6.

bob
MY NOTE: Rondo's learning Brad's new system? Oh, my, I do like the sound of that! I can't wait to see it!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Jared Sullinger Three Point Shooting
By Daniel Hebert on Sep 29 2014, 2:57p 1

 TWEET (1) SHARE  SHARE 1 COMMENT
Celticsblog recently did a piece on Jared Sullinger and what he brings to the Celtics as a three point shooter. Brad Stevens was discussing this topic in an interview on Media Day, and he said, "Sully is a great example of a guy that didn't shoot a great percentage last year, but when his hand wasn't wrapped up, he shot 34% which is a really good percentage." This is a great example of why having a coach who preaches analytics will be beneficial to the Celtics moving forward. Although Sullinger's numbers from behind the three point line last year weren't great, it is encouraging to know that he is a capable shooter when fully healthy.

bob
MY NOTE: A 34% 3pt fg% is an eFG% of >51%. On the other hand, it doesn't take into account the long rebounds and fast breaks that are given up when he misses and the fact that our best paint guy isn't in the paint.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Podium game: Brad Stevens
By wjsy on Sep 29 2014, 3:03p +

David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports
A more confident and focused Brad Stevens talked about his new players and mimicking the Spurs.

Here's your Twitter round-up from Brad Stevens:

Follow
Brad Stevens on Marcus Smart getting more opportunities with Rondo out. "He's physically, mentally ready for those."
11:25 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Scott Souza @scott_souza
Follow
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: I want more aggressiveness overall. More pressure, more pace. Felt team was average at details last year.
11:28 AM - 29 Sep 2014
2 RETWEETS  1 FAVORITE

Follow
Stevens wants their offense to take note from thev #Spurs and be able to read and react and not be so scripted. #Celtics
11:35 AM - 29 Sep 2014

MY NOTE:  YES!!  Channel your inner Pop, Brad!!

Julian Edlow @julianedlow
Follow
Stevens on if Smart can earn a starting role: "we have 14 guys that can earn a starting role" #CelticsMediaDay
11:31 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Follow
Stevens: If you were to make a list of the title contenders in this league, we wouldn’t be on it. So we have to do the little things.
11:30 AM - 29 Sep 2014

Brad Stevens saying Brad Stevens things.  As always, he was focused on the process of getting better and perfecting the little things.  At the team's golf tournament last week, he mentioned that there were hundreds of lineups that he could use and he reiterated that today.  The roster is more versatile going into Stevens' second year and he's willing to use two point guards at a time or fielding a starting lineup of two combo guards and he's confident that Marcus Smart can play day one.  What I'm ecstatic about is his suggestion that his team (and most of the league) will move to a more Spurs-like offense with less grind it out execution and more read-and-react action with dozens of options in one set.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Media Day Thread ByuPXGBCAAAAbqV

I don't know about you, but I'm looking at Emily Austen...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Sully on Whether he can be an All-Star
By Daniel Hebert on Sep 29 2014, 3:56p 1

Sullinger was asked during an interview with #CelticsTalk on Media Day whether or not he thought he could be an NBA All-Star. He responded, "My biggest thing is not individual, my (biggest thing) is all about winning." This seems to be a typical Sullinger answer. He has never been concerned with his individual stats or accomplishment. Sullinger has always been a team-first guy, and hopefully that heart will translate into a few more wins for the Celtics this season.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Vitor Faverani & his DUI
By wjsy on Sep 29 2014, 4:07p 5

Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach
Follow
Vitor Faverani on drunk driving arrest: "There's no truth. Somebody in Spain tried to kill me, but he can't." Um ... what?!?!
12:54 PM - 29 Sep 2014
15 RETWEETS  7 FAVORITES

So no big deal then.  The cult of Vitor continues.  We now have Liam Neeson playing back up center on our team.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Brad, a numbers guy, said 34% is good from 3? Now I've heard everything.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:15 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Brad, a numbers guy, said 34% is good from 3? Now I've heard everything.

KJ

KJ,

34% from 3 = 51+% eFG%. If someone told you Sully shot 51% from 2 you'd be happy, right?

Still, out of 151 players taking 3s last year, 34% would put him at #118. Not good.

My bitch isn't so much with the %, I just don't like Sully taking 3s. If he has to take 1 or 2 a game to keep them honest, ok, but no more than that, ok?

Chris Bosh shot 33.9%; Monte Ellis, 33%; Sully's childhood friend Trey Burke, 33%; Oladipo, 32,7%; Russell Westbrook, 31.8%; DeMar DeRozan shot De-30.5%; Michael Carter-Williams, 26.4% and, bringing last place, Josh Smith, 26.4%.

It's amazing all the shooters at the bottom of the list. Jeff Green, btw, also shot 34.1%.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/count/121

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:32 pm

Just goes to show, it's a low percentage shot.

Sullinger needs to be in the paint because he'll probably shoot better than 51% (which, from the inside, isn't too special).

Bradley and Olynyk have demonstrated their proficiency from beyond the arc enough to give me confidence they'll make a healthy percentage of those attempts. So when they take 3s, I'm not cringing.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:Media Day Thread ByuPXGBCAAAAbqV

bob

Or parts thereof....
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:15 pm

Well Brad.  There are two ways the offense can be less scripted.  (1) They can indulge in playground basketball a the did too often last season.  (2) They can develop group instincts.  So Brad, which do you think is more likely to happen with a bunch of young guys on the floor?  You've got a ton of work to do, my friend.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:47 am

Matty wrote:

bob

Or parts thereof....

Unfortunately, this site doesn't let me copy-and-paste Instagram.

http://redsarmy.com/2014/09/29/i-could-watch-emily-austen-dribble-in-heels-all-night/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:43 pm

If Sully didn't have a better alternative, perhaps I could understand a predisposition toward shooting threes.  But he does have a better alternative down low.  Hard to believe Brad is could actually be endorsing wholesale threes by a mediocre-shooting low post player.  Just as it's been hard to believe Brad has endorsed a slow-down game from Rondo.  I believe I've seen Vitor set exactly one reasonably solid pick.  At what point does experimentation become stubbornness, whether on the part of a player or a coach?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Matty wrote:

bob

Or parts thereof....

Unfortunately, this site doesn't let me copy-and-paste Instagram.

http://redsarmy.com/2014/09/29/i-could-watch-emily-austen-dribble-in-heels-all-night/

bob

Best Celtics video clip I've seen in a long time.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:26 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Celtics Frontcourt Rotation
By Daniel Hebert on Sep 29 2014, 2:11p +

Early on in Brad Stevens' interview on media day, he was asked about how the rotation will work for all of the Celtics bigs.  He responded, "Our fours are fives and our fives are fours.  We don't have a true center with the exception of maybe Zeller."  He responded with what a lot of Celtics fans were thinking.  Stevens has his work cut out for him determining what the Celtics front court rotation will consist of.

bob
MY NOTE:  He doesn't consider Vitor a "true 5"?  Oooh, that's not good.

My guess is he might not consider Vitor a Celtic.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Good one, NYCelt

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Check out the questioner at the 5 minute mark....

http://www.nba.com/celtics/media-day-2014-rajon-rondo

and the 4 minute mark on this one.........

http://www.nba.com/celtics/media-day-2014-marcus-smart

beat

Have had a little trouble copying AND pasting the second one...it is the sit down with Marcus Smart.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down