Random Thoughts From Practice - Day 2

3 posters

Go down

Random Thoughts From Practice - Day 2 Empty Random Thoughts From Practice - Day 2

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/10/random-thoughts-on-practice-day-2.html

Random Thoughts on Practice - Day 2

By FLCeltsfan

Day 2 of practice is in the books and there were plenty of positives being thrown out by players and coaches. The new guys are impressing and the returning players have improved. The theme of practices seems to be pace as they all talked about how Coach Stevens was pushing them to play faster and harder. The coach explains:

"The bottom line is we’re going to start trying to be faster, with more emphasis on pace and space. And faster is maybe not the appropriate term, but the right pace. All the time. A very consistent pace, all the time that we need to play with. Both in the half court when we are attacking against a set defense, and then when we get out in the break in primary transition."

All eyes have been on Jared Sullinger, who seemed to fade at the end of games last year and was challenged to improve his conditioning over the summer. He seems to be rising to the occasion. He doesn't feel that he is where he wants to be, but he says that he is very, very close. He has been getting a work out in practice having to chase the other bigs, especially Tyler Zeller, who has garnered quite a bit of praise also. Both the coach and his fellow teammates have praised his passing skills, his ability to run the floor, as well as his ability to bang inside.

Coach Stevens on Zeller: "Probably the thing I've been, maybe the biggest surprise about Tyler Zeller has been the way he passes the ball,"

Rookie Marcus Smart on Zeller: "Tyler, he bangs down low. He gets up and down the floor faster than some of the guards do. That's always good that your big can get down the floor that fast."

Even Turner on Zeller: "The coolest thing about Zeller is he runs the floor really well. He's one of the big men on the team who does unique things ... and also gives the other team matchup problems."

Along with pace, defense was a word that was frequently used. This makes me jump for joy. The Celtics two rookies were singled out for their defensive work so far in practice. Smart's instagram name is "younggamechanger" and according to Brad Stevens, that name is very fitting, saying that Smart could be a game changer on the defensive end of the court. Smart's defensive prowess shouldn't come as a surprise, as he was known for his hard nosed defense in college.

James Young, however was known for his shooting and at the beginning of the summer, Brad Stevens challenged Young to work on his defense. It appears that the youngest Celtics took that to heart as he was drawing praise from teammates and coach alike for his defensive work in camp.
Stevens: “I went through all of our scrimmage segments yesterday on film, anything that was live at all, I went through it in pretty good detail. The most impressive thing about James was he never really crossed my radar as making mistakes defensively, which is pretty impressive for a young guy.”

“One of the things that I’ve seen with James is that James picks things up really quickly. The basketball plays come very easy to him. Some guys you have to talk through a 2-on-1. You don’t have to do that with James Young.”

Kelly Olynyk finished off last season with some very strong play down the stretch and it appears that he's looking to begin this season even stronger. He put on some weight and should be able to hold is own better under the basket. But Coach Stevens said that he will more than likely play mostly facing the basket rather than with his back to the basket.

Stevens on Olynyk: "I think our best bet is to make him a big part of what we're doing. I think the reason for that is because he's a skilled, savvy basketball player that can play a number of positions and can stretch the floor for you. I thought he made great progress last year; I think he's made a lot this summer."

I can see Olynyk as a sixth man coming off the bench to back up all three front court positions.

Jeff Green has taken on the mantle of leadership and he is taking it seriously. Like Kelly Olynyk, Green put on some weight this off season. He spoke on the benefits of the extra bulk, "I'm able to take some of the bumps and continue to play through it and finish at the rim." He is also trying to set an example for the younger guys with his work ethic and has taken James Young under his wing.

Vitor Faverani is coming into camp after not having played any basketball in the off season as he rehabbed a knee injury. He participated in practice yesterday, but today he sat out with some swelling in his surgically repaired knee. He also underwent a precautionary MRI to be sure there was no additional injury to the knee.

On to Day 3. Just 5 more days until the first preseason game. I can't wait!!

bob
MY NOTE:  What a shock, Vitor's knee isn't 100% after all.  Somewhere, Joel Anthony is smiling and stretching.  We didn't talk much about Zeller this summer, other than a little surrounding the trade, but he really is sounding like a gazelle.  If he put on 15# of muscle and is banging underneath and is running the floor, this is VERY good for us.  Of course, who is he banging with?  He's the only 7'0" BIG on the team (sorry, I'm still not thinking of Kelly as a 7'0" BIG.  Hopefully that will change over this season).  Jeff Green's problem has always been in his head.  He has every imaginable physical skill and attribute an NBA SF could ask for, and then some.  If he has gotten his head to come around, he could be what we keep hoping and expecting from him.  It's easy, however, to be mentally strong at the start of training camp.  Let's see how he is day-in-and-day-out for 5 months.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts From Practice - Day 2 Empty Re: Random Thoughts From Practice - Day 2

Post by Sam Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:01 am

Some interesting perspectives between the lines.  I always thought that on the Russell, Cowens and Parish Celtics, the sight of a center beating opponents down the floor was like a shot of adrenalin for his teammates.  I'd love to see the same thing happen with the "Zeller Celtics."  It was particularly gratifying to see Turner endorsing this Zeller trait because I believe Turner could be an excellent wing in a high-paced transition.

James Young could be a sleeper who needs only an extended opportunity to progress more rapidly than many people expected.  I would never hope for an injury, but I expect he'll be ready if needed (whether he's with the team or up in Maine).

I really appreciated the fact that Brad, in discussing pace, specified both transition fast break and pushing the ball in a half court set.  Again, I hate the fact that Rondo has an injury.  But, without going into a lot of detail that would probably provoke arguments on the board, I'm glad that, when he returns, the pattern of constant pace will hopefully be established on this team and he'll find a way to be an integral part of it.

As for Kelly, I've got him pegged for the high post on offense, regardless of which position he's playing.  I recall wondering (I think it was on a Game-on Thread) whether he might be able to play some "3," so I was happy—and surprised—to see Brad mention that possibility.

So far, so good as far as I'm concerned.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts From Practice - Day 2 Empty Re: Random Thoughts From Practice - Day 2

Post by sinus007 Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:07 am

Bobh,
Thanks for the article.
One thing that got me puzzled thou was " I can see Olynyk ... to back up all three front court positions " KO as SF? I'm not sure.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 am

Sinus, over the past few years, we've been subjected to loads of instances (a lot more than many people would like) in which the Celtics have "gone small," which often meant that a small forward like Jeff Green played power forward.  That was usually designed to gain a speed advantage.

Given the Celtics' revamped roster, there could be situations in which Brad would decide to "go big"—for instance in order to to gain a rebounding advantage.  Kelly's straight-ahead speed, his height, his outside shooting, and his passing ability might make him an ideal small forward in such situations.  A lot would depend on matchups.  Could Kelly burn his small forward opponent more than the opponent could burn Kelly?

This is an example of how Brad seems to like breeding versatility into his lineups.  Versatility is an underrated element in gaining an edge.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down