Should The Celtics Bring Bradley Off The Bench?

3 posters

Go down

Should The Celtics Bring Bradley Off The Bench? Empty Should The Celtics Bring Bradley Off The Bench?

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:40 pm

http://redsarmy.com/2014/12/12/should-the-celtics-consider-bringing-avery-bradley-off-the-bench/

Should The Celtics Consider Bringing Avery Bradley Off The Bench?
Geoffrey Simpson

Should The Celtics Consider Bringing Avery Bradley Off The Bench?

While the focus of Boston’s struggles has centered on Rajon Rondo, the lack of a rim protector, or the absence of a go-to-guy, other issues have been able to fly under the radar. Even with the many issues the Celtics have, they head into Friday night’s game against the Knicks just one game out of the 8th spot in the East. Celtics fans would certainly love to see their team sneak into the playoffs, and the players have made it clear that this is their ultimate goal.

While Boston cannot immediately address the lack of a rim protector or go-to-guy without making a move, there are other issues that Brad Stevens can fix. One of these issues is the starting shooting guard position.

It is fairly common knowledge that Avery Bradley has struggled this season coming off of his four-year, $32 million contract, but little has been said about the reasons behind these struggles and just how bad they are. Bradley’s play has reached the point where the Celtics should consider replacing him in the starting lineup and bringing him off the bench.

Avery Bradley’s Struggles by the Numbers

The most obvious drop-off for Bradley from last year to this year is his 3 point shooting. He shot 40% from deep last year but in the first 20 games of this season has only shot 34%. It is easy to write this off as a guy just struggling to find the hole through the first quarter of the season, but there are some deeper trends at play here that may prevent Bradley from duplicating the 40% mark he put up last year.

The biggest issue is Bradley’s shot selection. Bradley has had a very quick trigger on his 3 point shot this year, settling for contested shots in situations that he really should be driving to the basket. Bradley has completely fallen in love with his jump shot and forgotten other key components of his game that helped keep the defense off-balance.

Bradley’s 3 point attempt rate, the percentage of his field goal attempts that come from 3 point range, has increased significantly from .242 last year to .339 this year, and as I mentioned above, it’s not because he’s making a higher percentage of his long-range shots.

Similarly, Bradley’s free throw attempt rate of .069 is the lowest mark of his career and half of what it was last year (.136). This means that Bradley is getting to the line at half the rate per field goal attempt that he was last season.

For a team that only scores 14.8% of their points from the foul line, good for the second worst mark in the league, Bradley is a huge part of the problem. In fact, Bradley has not been to the free throw line in the Celtics last five games, and has not gone to the line more than three times in a game all season.

What has been Bradley’s saving grace this year has been his midrange jump shot. He attempts just over a third of his shots from beyond 16 feet and inside the three point line, connecting at a nice rate of 48.3%. The Celtics have used him effectively coming off of dribble hand offs and Bradley has done a nice job knocking this shot down. However, if a player’s biggest strength is his ability to knock down long 2 point shots, the odds are is he is not an effective offensive player overall.

Bradley’s defense has remained solid this season, as the Celtics are 2.7 points better per 100 possessions with AB on the floor. At the same time, this number is not significant enough to make up for Bradley’s inefficiencies on the offensive end. 2.7 points per 100 possessions is helpful, but it’s nothing to write home about. His defense may be better used as a change of pace tool off the bench, as Bradley has struggled to stay out of foul trouble early in game’s to start the season.

If you don’t agree with me yet, maybe you will after looking at Bradley compared to other shooting guards across the NBA. Bradley ranks 51st among qualified shooting guards in player efficiency rating, a statistic that attempts to measure a player’s per minute performance while adjusting for pace. PER takes into account good plays, like field goals, free throws, 3 pointers, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals, and negative ones, such as missed shots, turnovers and personal fouls. The statistic is standardized so that the league average is always 15. Bradley’s is 10.21. There are a total of 50 shooting guards with a better PER. Looking at this another way, you could say that each team has a better starting option than Bradley and most teams have two.

While PER has its flaws (it doesn’t completely account for a player’s defensive abilities), Bradley’s number is bad. It reflects the fact that he makes little impact on the offensive end other than hitting shots, which he’s struggling to do so far this year. While Bradley may save a couple of points per 100 possessions, he has largely struggled to be an efficient player and contribute in other ways besides his defense. He needs to get back to attacking the basket a little bit more and not being so quick to fall in love with his 3 point shot.

Bradley’s struggles do not mean he can’t be an effective player or that he will not adjust his game or find his shooting stroke. I’m an Avery Bradley fan, but at this point, I think his skill set is better used coming off the bench. The Celtics can run the same sets for him with the second unit, and maybe Avery can focus on being more aggressive without Boston’s top options on the floor beside him.

Who Should the Celtics Start at Shooting Guard?

The natural replacements for Bradley in the starting lineup are Marcus Smart and Marcus Thornton. Arguments can be made for both of these guys. First, Thornton would space the floor better and fits nicely next to Rajon Rondo. His 43% mark from three is best on the team, and maybe allowing him to play with Rajon Rondo a little more, the league’s leading assist man can find some more shots for the sharp-shooter. For those worried about Thornton’s defense, it hasn’t been awful this year, as the Cs are only about 1 point worse per 100 possessions with him on the floor.

Eventually, what I’d like to see happen is to have Marcus Smart replace Bradley in the starting lineup. While Smart is another Celtics player who has settled for the 3 point shot too much, I think he could add a different aspect to the starting lineup if Brad Stevens can convince him to use his strengths and attack the basket. The Celtics would not miss a beat on defense, and may even see a net gain with Smart on the floor as oppose to Bradley on the defensive end.

Mainly, the Celtics front office needs to see if Marcus Smart and Rajon Rondo are a good fit together over a large sample size. It would be foolish to go into the offseason not knowing if the two can play together, given that it could be a deciding factor in either giving Rondo a lengthy contract or letting him go. It is still unclear if the Celtics view Smart as a Rondo replacement or a Bradley replacement, but the Celtics would certainly be a better team if both Rondo and Smart could learn to play together effectively. If they can’t, then at least you know that one of the two probably has to go, rather than having long-term commitments to both for the foreseeable future.

Smart is not ready to be inserted into the starting lineup immediately having just come off of his ankle injury, but an eventual move to the starting lineup would help the Celtics this year and in the long run.

bob
MY NOTE:  A legitimate question, but if Rondo is the one with the questionable future then why is pairing Rondo and Smart the "obvious" pairing?  Why not Smart and Bradley, to see if Rondo can be replaced with Smart?  If Smart gets all his minutes at 2 because he's playing with Rondo then how will we know how a Rondo-less back court works?  Wouldn't that be a key decision point on re-signing or trading Rondo OR Bradley?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Should The Celtics Bring Bradley Off The Bench? Empty Re: Should The Celtics Bring Bradley Off The Bench?

Post by dboss Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:54 pm

How about this

At this point in time Smart is no replacement for Bradley at the 2 spot.  Why?... well try taking a look at his college sates

He only played 2 years.  He shot .404 from the field and .290 from behind the college arc and his second year he shot .422 from the field and .299 from behind the arc.  These are not shooting guard level numbers.

His pro numbers reflect a small sample size but there is nothing that has changes from his college days. he is shooting  .333% from the field and .270 from behind the arc.

So does anybody think he is ready to take AB's spot in the starting lineup?  I don't.

What about transplanting Rondo at the point.  Can Smart run the pick and roll right now?  NO

Is he a quarterback that can run plays and distribute the ball.

Again let's take a look at his college stats.

His first year he average 4.2 assists per game and his second year he average 4.8 assists.  his turnover for those year was 3.4 and 2.6 per game respectively.

His pro numbers reveal an average assist per game of 1.5 with 0.7 turnovers.

He has done NOTHING to earn a starting spot on this team.  His current value is primarily on the defensive end of the floor where he plays very well.  He will score some points and do a lot of things to help this team but let us not overlook the reality of the numbers.  

I have seen nothing in his game that would lead me to believe that he is a future replacement for either Rondo or Bradley.  Let's see where how his game developed in a year or two.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Should The Celtics Bring Bradley Off The Bench? Empty Re: Should The Celtics Bring Bradley Off The Bench?

Post by Sam Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:24 pm

I don't believe a replacement for Rondo exists on (or will ever come from) this team as now constituted. If Rondo leaves for whatever reason, they'll have to find a real floor general to replace him. I don't believe it will need to be someone with flash. I don't believe it will have to be a perpetual triple-double guy. It should be an experienced guy who knows the game and how to distribute the ball to an acceptable level. A guy who realizes the value of empowering teammates. Point-gathering skills would be appreciated but wouldn't be a top priority.

I've never believed Smart was a future floor general, and I've seen nothing that hasn't strengthened that opinion. I would look for more points from his strength in going to the hoop than from his distance game. He may need a substitute who has the reverse skills.

There's no question that Avery Bradley has polished his shooting skills dramatically. Recently, he has become more streaky than I recall from last season. He's a perfect example of live by the three, die by the three. Unacceptable as the most significant skill in a shooting guard as far I'm concerned. I think his defense has fallen off; and, when I said so last season, I got a lot of very angry responses. I didn't care then, and I don't care now, but I do urge people to look before they leap. He's simply not hounding opponents at mid-court the way he used to. He's frequently getting picked off at the perimeter, and he's getting beat along the baseline more often than now. Those who believe he can ramp up his defense once again may also believe he hasn't' topped out heightwise.

I've criticized him in the past for having great difficulty finishing at the rim. I got some flak over that too; so, this year, I've made it a special point to remark on the Game-on Thread when he finished impressively. I believe I'm stalled at eight such mentions so far this season. I have no idea what has happened to his baseline cut on which he combined so well with Rondo a few years ago.

I am impressed with both the accuracy and consistency of his mid-range jumper, which is arguably one of the more reliable shots on the team. I was amused to see the author of this article say something like, "If that's the best a shooting guard has to offer offensively, he's not that great."

His free throw shooting is fine. Of course, he seldom gets to shoot free throws. He would be high on my list of Celtics with some trade value who could be expendable. In the meantime, I'll wait patiently until I get to mention his great finish at the rim.

In the meantime, my favorite backcourt lineup is Rondo and Turner (or Pressey and Thornton when that extra rush of adrenalin is needed).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down