Can Jared Sullinger Become A Top Power Forward

+3
tjmakz
hawksnestbeach
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Can Jared Sullinger Become A Top Power Forward Empty Can Jared Sullinger Become A Top Power Forward

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:57 am

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11156-the-growth-of-jared-sullinger

Friday, 12 December 2014 23:38
Can Jared Sullinger Become a Top Power Forward?
Written by  Patrick Tomlinson

Jared Sullinger's persistent progress on offense might be cause for a re-examination of his potential.

It’s hard to imagine that there was a time when drafting Jared Sullinger with the 21st overall pick was considered risky for the Boston Celtics.

Despite being a two-time AP All-American at Ohio State, Sullinger dropped out of the 2012 NBA draft lottery when teams uncovered his chronic back issues during pre-draft workouts, adding further to concerns that he was too undersized at 6’9 to play power forward in the NBA.

While the beginning to his career was certainly inauspicious, Sullinger has been one of the few bright spots in what has become an increasingly dismal season for the Celtics.

In fact, Sullinger is arguably transforming into one of the better offensive power forwards in the NBA. Despite the Celtics’ losing record and their all-around disappointing performance thus far, Sullinger is currently posting career highs in both points per game (14.9) and rebounds per game (8.5).

Furthermore, Sullinger has consistently improved his game throughout his entire three-year career, increasing in points, rebounds, assists, and blocks with each season. His ceaseless progression, combined with his enthusiastic work ethic and high basketball IQ, should have fans excited.

Although it’s only 20 games into the season, Sullinger has been one of the most efficient offensive options for the Celtics. Not only does Sullinger have the highest PER of any Celtics with 19.08 (up from 16.52 last season), but he also compares favorably with some of the more dominant power forwards in the NBA.

For instance, Sullinger currently leads a group of well-regarded power forwards in PER, including Kevin Love, Greg Monroe, and Serge Ibaka. Or, there’s the fact that he is one of only 13 players averaging more than 14 points and 8 rebounds a game. More remarkably still, Sullinger is the only player to do so while averaging less than 30 minutes per game (29.3).

This efficiency is in large part to Sullinger’s savvy offensive mind. In addition to seemingly always being in the right places at the right times, he has also developed into one of the most underrated passing big men in the NBA. According to nba.com, Sullinger has been the most efficient passing power forward in the NBA this season, leading all qualified power forwards in assist-to-turnover ratio.

Sullinger has also expanded his offensive horizons to include a reliable three-point shot. Since Brad Stevens has taken over as Celtics head coach in 2013, Sullinger’s 3P% has risen from his rookie-season total of 20% to 37.1% so far this season. By adding a consistent three-pointer to an already proficient post-attack, Sullinger has forced defenders to mark him on the three-point arc as well as on the block, which only opens up more lanes for the Celtics to work their offense.  

On the other hand, Sullinger’s growing offensive presence still hasn’t translated to the defensive side of the ball. Due to his relatively small stature at his position, Sullinger often gets overpowered within 6 feet of the basket, allowing opponents to shoot an above average 64.6%.

However, Sullinger makes up for what he lacks on the defensive end with his bulldog-like tenacity on the glass. His 46.5% contested rebound rate this season ranks third highest among power forwards with at least 8 rebounds, trailing only Tim Duncan (49.5%) and Anthony Davis (48.2%).

By all appearances, Sullinger has only begun to scratch the surface of his potential. So, while trade rumors will continue to swirl around big name players like Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green, and Brandon Bass, Celtics fans can at least take some solace in the great potential of Sullinger moving forward.

bob
MY NOTE: I have said the only PF I would trade Sully for is Aldridge. I've seen no reason to change that opinion. I still get a giggle when I remember the universal and unanimous reactions of this board on the draft day real-time thread when Danny picked him with #21. One of Sully's biggest supporters on this board is Cowens but, on that draft day, I thought he was going to have a coronary and die online right there, but not before he took Danny with him. :-)

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Can Jared Sullinger Become A Top Power Forward Empty Re: Can Jared Sullinger Become A Top Power Forward

Post by hawksnestbeach Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:09 am

Bob, Considering our likely rebuilding schedule, I can see your point. But if we were looking at making that playoff-ready team this year, would you trade Sully for Albus Ricardo Jefferson? Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Can Jared Sullinger Become A Top Power Forward Empty Re: Can Jared Sullinger Become A Top Power Forward

Post by tjmakz Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:05 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11156-the-growth-of-jared-sullinger

Jared Sullinger's persistent progress on offense might be cause for a re-examination of his potential.

It’s hard to imagine that there was a time when drafting Jared Sullinger with the 21st overall pick was considered risky for the Boston Celtics.

Despite being a two-time AP All-American at Ohio State, Sullinger dropped out of the 2012 NBA draft lottery when teams uncovered his chronic back issues during pre-draft workouts, adding further to concerns that he was too undersized at 6’9 to play power forward in the NBA.

While the beginning to his career was certainly inauspicious, Sullinger has been one of the few bright spots in what has become an increasingly dismal season for the Celtics.

In fact, Sullinger is arguably transforming into one of the better offensive power forwards in the NBA. Despite the Celtics’ losing record and their all-around disappointing performance thus far, Sullinger is currently posting career highs in both points per game (14.9) and rebounds per game (8.5).

Furthermore, Sullinger has consistently improved his game throughout his entire three-year career, increasing in points, rebounds, assists, and blocks with each season. His ceaseless progression, combined with his enthusiastic work ethic and high basketball IQ, should have fans excited.

Although it’s only 20 games into the season, Sullinger has been one of the most efficient offensive options for the Celtics. Not only does Sullinger have the highest PER of any Celtics with 19.08 (up from 16.52 last season), but he also compares favorably with some of the more dominant power forwards in the NBA.

For instance, Sullinger currently leads a group of well-regarded power forwards in PER, including Kevin Love, Greg Monroe, and Serge Ibaka. Or, there’s the fact that he is one of only 13 players averaging more than 14 points and 8 rebounds a game. More remarkably still, Sullinger is the only player to do so while averaging less than 30 minutes per game (29.3).

This efficiency is in large part to Sullinger’s savvy offensive mind. In addition to seemingly always being in the right places at the right times, he has also developed into one of the most underrated passing big men in the NBA. According to nba.com, Sullinger has been the most efficient passing power forward in the NBA this season, leading all qualified power forwards in assist-to-turnover ratio.

Sullinger has also expanded his offensive horizons to include a reliable three-point shot. Since Brad Stevens has taken over as Celtics head coach in 2013, Sullinger’s 3P% has risen from his rookie-season total of 20% to 37.1% so far this season. By adding a consistent three-pointer to an already proficient post-attack, Sullinger has forced defenders to mark him on the three-point arc as well as on the block, which only opens up more lanes for the Celtics to work their offense.  

On the other hand, Sullinger’s growing offensive presence still hasn’t translated to the defensive side of the ball. Due to his relatively small stature at his position, Sullinger often gets overpowered within 6 feet of the basket, allowing opponents to shoot an above average 64.6%.

However, Sullinger makes up for what he lacks on the defensive end with his bulldog-like tenacity on the glass. His 46.5% contested rebound rate this season ranks third highest among power forwards with at least 8 rebounds, trailing only Tim Duncan (49.5%) and Anthony Davis (48.2%).

By all appearances, Sullinger has only begun to scratch the surface of his potential. So, while trade rumors will continue to swirl around big name players like Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green, and Brandon Bass, Celtics fans can at least take some solace in the great potential of Sullinger moving forward.

bob
MY NOTE:  I have said the only PF I would trade Sully for is Aldridge.  I've seen no reason to change that opinion.  I still get a giggle when I remember the universal and unanimous reactions of this board on the draft day real-time thread when Danny picked him with #21.  One of Sully's biggest supporters on this board is Cowens but, on that draft day, I thought he was going to have a coronary and die online right there, but not before he took Danny with him.   :-)

Bob,

You wouldn't trade Sullinger for Kevin Love, Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:41 pm

The answer is NO

Sully will not become a top Power Forward.

Sully is a very good player but in reality is  a tweaner at PF because he lacks the length to play in the post on either side of the ball.  If he has the inside position on offense he is  very good making shots.  His strength is on the glass.  He is relatively slow in the pace game gets abused on defense in the post on a regular basis.   It is what it is.  He is no championship level PF and he simply lacks the physical attributes to reach that level.  He takes too many 3 point shots and needs to spend his time in the post banging for rebounds.  That is what he does best.  That is his most valued skill.  Even if he did that he would still be deficient on defense and on offense when he has to score over a longer player.  You can always tell when he is over matched.  He'll throw up that little side shot to avoid getting blocked.  It is a horrible shot that rarely goes in.

To be considered a top PF you have to do more things than Sully can do.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Sully is a player I'm very glad we have.

He is in no way, however, on his way to becoming a top power forward, and not likely capable of being a starter in a championship caliber lineup IMO.  I see Sully as valuable coming off the bench, but that's the extent of it.  For a recent history fit, I see him as a Leon Powe or Glen Davis, in search of the next KG.  I'm pretty much with dboss in his take on Sully.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:15 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11156-the-growth-of-jared-sullinger

bob
MY NOTE:  I have said the only PF I would trade Sully for is Aldridge.  I've seen no reason to change that opinion.  I still get a giggle when I remember the universal and unanimous reactions of this board on the draft day real-time thread when Danny picked him with #21.  One of Sully's biggest supporters on this board is Cowens but, on that draft day, I thought he was going to have a coronary and die online right there, but not before he took Danny with him.   :-)

Bob,

You wouldn't trade Sullinger for Kevin Love, Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin?

TJ,

Anthony Davis, yes. A good addition to the list with Aldridge. Kevin Love? His lack of defense troubles me. Blake Griffin, maybe. With Rondo, perhaps more so since he'll get his dunks but if no Rondo then I'm not sure. I have questions about his IQ.

Even if you add all three of those players to the list, that's only 4 PFs., and two of them were obvious #1 picks. That's still pretty damn good. I'd want to know what else we'd have to give up to move up from #5 to #1-4.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm hoping the new movie about the Enigma machine can shed some light on Sully. The authoritative way he carries himself on the court is reminiscent of guys like Heinsohn, Silas, Howell and DeBusschere. He seemed to come to the Celtics already equipped with knowledge of tricks of the trade. It was so easy to assume that he had potentially unlimited growth—if not in stature (and hopefully not weight) at least in the variety of ways in which he could help a team—maybe even a championship team.

Now he's in his second year of playing with mediocrity. During the great majority of that time, he has been asked to play out of position; and I believe that's no way to develop the kinds of habits indigenous to a power forward.

But we've also come to realize that Sully comes with limitations that his savvy can't necessarily avoid. Lack of speed and agility that bulk cannot outweigh (pun intended). Lack of jumping ability. Opposing offensive players simply go around him or draw a foul.

His greatest asset is probably his ability to bull his low center of gravity through opposing defenders and rebounding barriers. So his coach is encouraging him to shoot three-pointers. (TILT?) Oh, and he does have a very strong pair of hands.

The problem is that, on a true championship contender, Sully may not have the necessary tools to create a positive distinction between him and a good opposing PF. Maybe he could play the guy to a standstill; perhaps his offense can somehow offset his defensive limitations. But a contending team needs the total of its players to be more than the sum of its parts. That means all the players have to make a positive difference, not just offer break-even performances. Right now, Sully's somewhat of a break-even player. And, given his limitations, I have no awareness of areas in his game in which he can gain significant advantages.

There are few newcoming players I've liked as well as Sully. Even more than Rondo (and I'm a sucker for floor generals). But reality has entered the stage. The current scene is not pretty. Can we hope that dramatic improvement of the team over the course of the remainder of the season will place each player in a better light—especially a player with the work ethic of Sully? Unfortunately, that possibility seems a long shot, which may be the same long-term fate of Sully's chances of becoming a star.

Go Sully! I'm rooting for you.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:47 pm

If you look at where we drafted him, hes a steal, so many weak picks that draft, he is in a funk, hope he can break out of it soon. He can handle the ball and drive alot better than I thought, however he hasn't had any monster rebounding games like he did in preseason. He is obviously a work in progress, could he be a reliable starting PF on a championship team? who knows, I think so, we'll probably know by the all star game of next season. Put a 7 foot rim protecting load next to him and he would clean up the boards, our defensive deficiencies don't put him in the best rebounding position.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Anybody seen Kentucky play? what do you think of their 3 7 footers? one of them should fall into our lap.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down