k_j_88
kdp59
Sam
gyso
international
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade Empty Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade

Post by international Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:41 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-austin-rivers-goes-celtics-green-trade

international

Back to top Go down

Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade Empty Re: Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade

Post by gyso Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:48 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/austin-rivers-no-stranger-celtics

Unlike most of the new guys Boston is bringing in, there won't be a huge need for Austin Rivers to get acclimated to the city. Rivers - the son of former Celtics coach Doc Rivers - is reportedly included in the three-team trade between Boston, New Orleans and Memphis that's centered around Jeff Green.

The Celtics' interest in Rivers isn't anything new.

When Rivers entered the 2012 NBA draft, Danny Ainge was among those interested in potentially moving up with the goal being to select him.

Boston had the No. 21 and 22 picks that year, used to draft Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo, respectively.

Rivers was selected by New Orleans with the No. 10 overall pick.

Ainge made it clear to Doc Rivers at the time that his interest in Austin had everything to do with him as a player, and not because he was Doc Rivers' son.

Even after Rivers had left, the Ainge's interest In Austin Rivers remained strong.

So, as it stands now, the Celtics will acquire Tayshaun Prince from Memphis, Austin Rivers from New Orleans and a future first-round pick from the Grizzlies.

A league source told CSNNE.com Saturday afternoon that the deal is still fluid, with players potentially being added and subtracted in the coming hours.

But the key components to the deal - Green to Memphis and Prince to Boston - will remain unchanged.

Back to top Go down

Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade Empty Re: Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade

Post by Sam Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:58 pm

On one hand, substituting a young guy (Rivers) for an old guy (Salmons) sounds okay to me. On the other hand, will this be another combo guard who struggles with his shooting and hasn't handed out the number of assists one might expect of a floor general? How does his potential at the current time stack up against his perceived potential when he got drafted? IF he lands in Boston, it will be interesting to see how (or IF) Brad chooses to use him.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:38 pm

sam,

to me it's like the E. Turner signing......low risk.

As you know I am not always on board with Danny's moves at times, but I have to say the way he's sitting up the team for this off-season (and without really lowering out ability to compete this year) has me cheering him.

now it might be that the old theory that Free agents don't want to come to Boston are true and that even a max offer won't be enough.

but we at least CAN be players for anyone in the league now. when was the last time we could say that?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:00 pm

So does this mean he's the second SG behind Avery?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Sounds like Danny already tried to trade Rivers
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:16 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Sounds like Danny already tried to trade Rivers

that does surprise me, where was that info from?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:20 pm

http://bit.ly/1IBlmag

international

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:20 pm

kdp59 wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Sounds like Danny already tried to trade Rivers

that does surprise me, where was that info from?

"Trader Danny." He'll trade anything. I do wonder what his intrigue with Rivers is. He's not really a standout type player. For his career, he averages 6.9 PPG, 2.3 AST, and 1.9 REB.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:22 pm

I think she was joking . . .

Reports that Rivers is not coming to Boston.  That doesn't mean that he isn't part of the trade, he just isn't coming here.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-austin-rivers-not-coming-celtics?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

"The bottom line is that the Celtics don't need another guard," the source said while acknowledging that Rivers has been added to the mix, it's not with the Celtics as a destination.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:31 pm

Clips want him to see if he can fit in
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:40 pm

Rosalie,

Are you watching the Pats? We need a touchdown.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:03 pm

gyso wrote:I think she was joking . . .

Reports that Rivers is not coming to Boston.  That doesn't mean that he isn't part of the trade, he just isn't coming here.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-austin-rivers-not-coming-celtics?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

"The bottom line is that the Celtics don't need another guard," the source said while acknowledging that Rivers has been added to the mix, it's not with the Celtics as a destination.

Gyso,

If this is the case, then there is a 4th team involved (unless Rivers is joining Green in Memphis).  That would help explain why this deal is dragging out a bit longer than usual, more counties heard from.

What does NOP get for Rivers, and who do they get it from?

Boy, when Danny says "my job is to answer the phone" he isn't fooling.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:06 pm

BobH,

NBA offices are closed til Monday, which is why things aren't finalized yet. At least, that's what I've read from sports outlets.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:12 pm

If the young Rivers comes to Boston he will likely get Nelson's minutes to see if he can help out for next season.

So far, I would have to call Rivers a bust in the NBA since he was the number 10 selection in 2012.  Can't expect much from him so he is a trade low and pray for better type of player.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:14 pm

k_j_88 wrote:BobH,

NBA offices are closed til Monday, which is why things aren't finalized yet. At least, that's what I've read from sports outlets.

KJ

KJ,

Yeah, but this deal has been active going back almost a week now.  They couldn't get it done by close of business Friday,  which is why it won't happen until Monday, but the complications that have arisen with the inclusion of NOP helped slow it down so it couldn't get done by Friday.

Danny wanted more sweetener.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski: Celtics and Clippers discussing a deal for Austin Rivers, league sources tell Yahoo, but Boston doesn't want salary back next season. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, Los Angeles Clippers, Trade, Austin Rivers
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.xQ6aNM8E.dpuf

Adrian Wojnarowski: Celtics willing to move A. Rivers for 2nd-round pick. For Clippers, it's free look at 10th overall pick -- who'd only be college senior now. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, Los Angeles Clippers, Trade, Austin Rivers
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.xQ6aNM8E.dpuf

Looks like Ainge got him to send him off to play for his dad in LA.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:24 am

Danny seems to care deeply about people in his Celtixs family...seeing that they all get to a place that's good for them. Let's hope this good kharma somehow come back to the Celtics team of 1015-16 and beyond.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:43 pm

I think it can be assumed that Danny's trades during this general period of time are not made primarily to upgrade personnel. For example, I don't believe Danny believes Prince is an upgrade over Jeff. Tay is just someone who will help them play out the string this season (hopefully with an emphasis on scrappiness and at least some improvement in chemistry) and then someone who's departure will help carve out a little more cap space.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:51 am

sam wrote:I think it can be assumed that Danny's trades during this general period of time are not made primarily to upgrade personnel.  For example, I don't believe Danny believes Prince is an upgrade over Jeff.  Tay is just someone who will help them play out the string this season (hopefully with an emphasis on scrappiness and at least some improvement in chemistry) and then someone who's departure will help carve out a little more cap space.

Sam

Sam,

I think you're right.  Here's the way "the flow of the blow" went, to me:

Danny, recognizing we need a legit, defensive anchor at center, promised Sully and Satch he'd get one this summer, so Sully could play PF this year.  He tried to get Asik but couldn't  (we'll probably never know why Morey did what he did).  So he got Zeller (adequate but not what we really needed).  A half-step taken, but not one that would impress Rondo.  He tried to strike a blow, but didn't land a punch.

He tried to get Love but couldn't.  I think part of the reason was to put a smile on Rondo's pending free-agent face (on top of whatever he thinks of Love).  Inability to do that deal put the return of Rondo next year in serious jeopardy.  Another blow not landed.

He hoped/expected the squad we have, even without Asik and Love, to have a better record than they do.  I think we all did.  At the beginning of the season we were all scoffing at the pundits who were predicting we'd only get 25 or 26 wins.  I can't remember any poster on this board who predicted less than 30 wins with some of us, like me, predicting closer to 35.  When the team continued to struggle, despite Rondo being back and in the context of not being able to set off any "fireworks" this summer, made a full-blown rebuild inevitable.  Instead of aggressively throwing haymakers, trying to put Flip Saunders and Daryl Morey on the ropes, he is now playing rope-a dope, counter-punching when and where he can, but not looking for the knockout punch anymore.  Now, he's just hanging in there, hoping next round will give him new and different opportunities to throw and land a game-changer.

Danny is, if nothing else, a brutal realist.  He's the guy who told Red that, if he had been the GM, he would have broken up the Bird/McHale/Parish Big 3 when they started getting long in the tooth.  Considering he was on that team, those were his long-time friends and teammates and fellow World Champions, that is an incredibly cold-blooded position to take.  He saw an opportunity to hit the reset button on the rebuild quickly with an Asik and Love double-header that would have given us a Big 2 (Rondo and Love) and a starting center and whomever was left afterwards.  Failing that, and with a team that is consistent only in its inconsistency, changed the "flow of the blow" That meant no Rondo, no Green, no Bass.  Nobody that isn't going to be worth more 3-4 years from now than he is today.  

Remember when KG and Ray came here and we thought we had a 3 year window of excellence which turned, really, into 5-6?  I think we are looking at the mirror image of that now.  We're looking at 3 tough years, maybe as many as 5-6.

When Danny came here he promised we'd be relevant and competing again in 5 years.  Sure enough, 5 years it was.  This team is about where that one was, maybe a little better but not hugely so.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:47 am

Bob,

I agree with your assessment. With the inability to add pieces that would entice Rondo to stay, it's in large part a reset on the rebuild.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:26 am

And for most parts they should be in a better position to negotiate with Rondo after this season without him than they would have been if he stayed.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:46 am

swedeinestonia wrote:And for most parts they should be in a better position to negotiate with Rondo after this season without him than they would have been if he stayed.

Swede,

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think we can sign Rondo for at least one year after trading him. I think it is called the "Gary Payton Rule", after Danny traded Payton, who was immediately waived and then resigned with Boston. It was just too obvious a film flam, so they changed the CBA so other GMs couldn't be as clever as Trader Danny.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:05 am

I dont know when this Payton event was was but I remember Ilgauskas being traded somewhere just to be waived and resigning with the Cavs. -> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/354082-the-30-day-waiver-rule-a-loophole-that-must-be-closed

This was before the new CBA so things might have changed. From the new CBA about trading and getting waived:

"If a team trades a player and the player is subsequently waived by the new team, the prior team
will not be permitted to claim the player off of waivers or sign the player to a new contract
until the earlier of (i) one year from the date the trade was completed, or (ii) the July 1
following the last season of the player’s contract (excluding any unexercised option years). "

Considering he is not getting waived since it will just be an expiring contract the above is not exactly applying but to me it would be logical that a trade->expiring contract->free agent->resigning with old team should not be "more restricted" than the trade->waive->sign with old team.

I found this at http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q100 :
"A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season."

I can not really find anything saying it is not possible. I do not think it is likely but lets say for whatever reason this Mavericks experiment does not pan out and/or Rondo does not like it there, would the Mavericks be interested in resigning him? If not, where would he be interested in going? Lets say the Celtics get lucky and manage to get Okafor or Towns and then with the other pick/picks some good role player. They also manage to sign an interesting free agent. Why not come back? Lots of ifs and buts but I would say they would be in a better position to sign Rondo than if he would have stayed.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:46 am

we're not bringing Rondo back.

If Ainge wanted to pay him max money and build a team around him, he would have kept him.

ship has sailed.

look for the new YOUNGER players that Danny and Stevens are building this team on.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next