MARCUS SMART TALKS ABOUT HIS MUCH-IMPROVED JUMP SHOT

3 posters

Go down

MARCUS SMART TALKS ABOUT HIS MUCH-IMPROVED JUMP SHOT Empty MARCUS SMART TALKS ABOUT HIS MUCH-IMPROVED JUMP SHOT

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:21 am

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2015/01/13/marcus-smart-talks-about-his-much-improved-jump-shot/

MARCUS SMART TALKS ABOUT HIS MUCH-IMPROVED JUMP SHOT
01.13.15 at 5:36 pm ET
By Julian Edlow

Marcus Smart has spent much of his rookie season battling through injuries. Lately, however, Smart has been quietly improving upon one of his biggest weaknesses — his jump shot.

It’s no secret that Smart needs to improve his 3-point shooting. I wrote about it — and why his lack of a shot means he should drive to the hoop more — earlier this season. Even Smart is aware of the criticism of himself, but that doesn’t mean he can’t fix it.

“That was the biggest knock on my game coming into the league was I couldn’t shoot,” Smart said following Monday’s win over the Pelicans. “Over the last 12 or 13 games I think I’ve been shooting the ball well and I’ve been in the gym every day.”

In Smart’s first seven games (five before his ankle injury and two while battling back and playing short minutes), he shot 6-of-28 from downtown for 21.4 percent. In his last 16 games, though, Smart has been much improved. The Oklahoma State product has shot 22-for-52 on 3-pointers, which is good for an impressive 42.3 percent over that span. To put that in perspective, that number would place Smart 11th in the league in 3-point percentage on the season, ahead of Stephen Curry (39.1 percent).

So what’s the cause for his improvement?

“Just trying to stay consistent with jumping straight up and down,” said Smart. “Not floating to the sides, left and right, just try to shoot the same shot. I’ve always known, ever since high school, what my problem was. It was just a matter of getting into the gym and working on it.”

Seems as though the work has paid off for the rookie recently, something his coach has taken notice of.

“He would probably say that he’s worked more deliberately and consistently than he’s ever done before,” Brad Stevens said at Tuesday’s practice. “That’s obviously an emphasis. We talked about it at the beginning of the year. We thought, coming in, that his shot was better than his percentages [Smart shot just 29.9 percent from deep in his final season in college], and we continue to think he’ll make shots.”

If Smart’s development wasn’t clear before Monday’s game, it is now. Up just one with under a minute left, Avery Bradley found Smart in the corner for a potential dagger. Smart knocked the 3-pointer down to clinch the Celtics‘ win without hesitation, something he likely wouldn’t have done just a couple of months ago.

Smart still could benefit from attacking the rim more. At his size — a 6-foot-4, 220 pound point guard — it certainly should be a bigger part of his game, especially since we saw him do it in college. But while he learns to find his way into the paint in the NBA, his new found jump shot is a great sign for Smart’s development going forward. If he can improve upon such a big weakness this early in his career, it makes you think that Marcus Smart has a whole lot of promise ahead of him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

MARCUS SMART TALKS ABOUT HIS MUCH-IMPROVED JUMP SHOT Empty Re: MARCUS SMART TALKS ABOUT HIS MUCH-IMPROVED JUMP SHOT

Post by Sam Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:43 am

His improvement from the arc has certainly been noticeable. It's no big deal that he didn't hesitate to take that dagger jumper because he's not bashful about doing anything on the court.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MARCUS SMART TALKS ABOUT HIS MUCH-IMPROVED JUMP SHOT Empty Re: MARCUS SMART TALKS ABOUT HIS MUCH-IMPROVED JUMP SHOT

Post by wide clyde Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:09 pm

I really like to see guys who were first round picks work to get better and better. It shows that he wants to be better and is not unwilling to work to become better.

This is the type of thing that makes leaders on teams as there is no question that teammates see this characteristic. Smart plays hard, apparently works hard and will become one of the leaders of the next round of good Cs teams as a result.

I wonder how hard Rondo worked to improve his shooting before being traded?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down