Who plays at the end of close games?

5 posters

Go down

Who plays at the end of close games? Empty Who plays at the end of close games?

Post by wide clyde Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Having been a Celtics fan since 1960, I read everything that Red Auerbach said or wrote. And, one of his Red-isms that has always stuck with me
was the idea of who was going to play at the end of the game when a game was close. I believe that his quote went something like, "It doesn't
matter who starts as much as it matters who finishes".

After only two games since arriving in a Boston uniform it clearly seems that Isiah Thomas has to head this list. The Cs may have won the Lakers
game if he had been available just as we won the game last night when it got close in the fourth quarter when he was on the floor.

It appears to me that Bradley and Crowder also appear to necessary at the end of the game.

Who do you think should be the five current Cs to finish off a close game figuring that there are no injuries or foul issues to consider?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Who plays at the end of close games? Empty Re: Who plays at the end of close games?

Post by worcester Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Bill Russell, John Havlicek, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, and Sam Jones
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Who plays at the end of close games? Empty Re: Who plays at the end of close games?

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:19 pm

clyde,

EXCELLENT idea for a thread.

We are a team with numerous needs, still, and one of the things we needed was a go-to guy, an assassin.  It looks like Thomas is that guy.  Now, we need another to take some of the pressure off of him because the defense will be keying on him.

Bradley is starting to look like one.  A few years ago I would have scoffed at the idea that Bradley could be an assassin but his last two games are making me wonder if that was a rush to judgement.  He isn't a ballhandler, never will be, but he has been good at getting his shot off especially if he is treated to a strong pick to buy him some daylight.  His lack of ballhandling, however, prevents him from being "another Thomas".  We need another creator.  We need a creator that will force the defense to stay honest because they can't key on Thomas and that will make life even easier for Bradley, who can go to his spot and take his shot.

So, who are our 4th quarter goal-line defenders and 2-minute drill players (to use a mixed sports metaphor)?

1.  Thomas
2.  Bradley
3.  Smart
4.  Bass
5.  Crowder

With Sully out I don't see anybody besides Bass that I'd say MUST be in at crunch time.  The last two games has made me question Zeller's abilities.  He is a very effective pick-and-roller but he really doesn't have a killer move of his own.  Last night, in particular, he looked completely overmatched.  

As you can see, that's a really small team. The addition of Zeller solved one of our problems, because we had NO center, but it didn't solve this one.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Bob,

Very good point about Zeller and it is why the Celtics need a true first string center. He will make a very solid second string center for the Cs as the re-build continues.

He cannot be one of the 5 guys on the floor for the last few minutes in a close game.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Believe it all is dependent on matchups. But our roster is limited right now. Also dependent on the old "hot hand" syndrome too.

That said Almost have to have Thomas Bradley and Smart out there...Crowder perhaps. Not completely sold on Bass over Zeller again matchups being the key.

Talk to me in a week, I'll change my mind by then.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:43 pm

beat wrote:Believe it all is dependent on matchups. But our roster is limited right now. Also dependent on the old "hot hand" syndrome too.

That said Almost have to have Thomas Bradley and Smart out there...Crowder perhaps. Not completely sold on Bass over Zeller again matchups being the key.

Talk to me in a week, I'll change my mind by then.

In general, I think there are a couple of guys you can pencil in for the end of the game regardless -- Thomas and Bradley come to mind, Smart as he gains experience -- but I agree that matchups play a part. The "hot hand" is a consideration, though a lesser one in my mind, because I'm almost more focused on the defensive end than the offensive one. A lot of coaches go with smaller, like-sized lineups that can switch on all screens. You obviously need someone who can make a basket, or at least draw fouls, but shutting teams down and getting rebounds is the number one item on my list.

It's because of that switching defense and rebounding need that I think Bass and Crowder are guys to consider keeping on the floor at the end. they're athletic enough to switch onto smaller players, can hit the boards, and while they're not the go-to guy for a last shot, they won't freeze up if the ball winds up in their hands and can work to get a putback on other players' misses.

Here's my stab at a small lineup:

Thomas
Smart
Bradley
Crowder
Bass/Olynyk

Bigger lineup:

Thomas
Smart/Bradley
Crowder
Bass/Olynyk
Zeller/Olynyk

Options obviously expand once Olynyk gets back. If Jerebko works his way into the rotation, he could turn into an option also. I think he has potential as one of those versatile defenders who can switch.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down