NYCelt
Sam
wide clyde
cowens/oldschool
swedeinestonia
kdp59
12 posters

Go down

so who needs Sully.... Empty so who needs Sully....

Post by kdp59 Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:37 am

when we have Jerebko!

what a move by Ainge.

OK, it was only one game.....LOL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

so who needs Sully.... Empty Re: so who needs Sully....

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:48 am

Jerebko is not a star or the most talented player but I think for most part he understands what he can do and what he can not do, a talent as good as any.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:34 am

who?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:53 am

Jerebko looked quite real and very good last night. I hope that he can be consistently good, and consistency is what makes a good player in the NBA.

He may be able to make a contribution to the team next year, but only time will tell.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:08 am

At the very worst, Jerebko gives Brad another big in the manpower struggle to fill in for Sully.  At best, Danny may have found another foot soldier in the march toward rebuilding.

Sure, his outburst came against the Knicks.  But that kind of statement is vastly overrated.  I'm not aware that the Knicks's deficiencies (1) altered the trajectory on the threes he hit or (2) gave him extra hops in taking the ball to the rim or making that hice putback.

Perhaps he'll turn out to be just a one hit wonder.  But I'm hoping that won't be true. Because, much like Crowder, Jonas is hopefully the right guy at the right time to fill some very important Celtics needs.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:17 am

kdp59 wrote:when we have Jerebko!

what a move by Ainge.

OK, it was only one game.....LOL.

It was fun to watch him hit those threes.

I know that for those who don't like the three-ball, last night wasn't anything, but I enjoyed it. The back-to-backers by Smart completely changed momentum in a close game. Jerebko hitting them from the Zakim Bridge was just fun to watch.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 am

NYCelt,

That Jerebko three from well beyond the arc was really impressive not only because he made it.  The fact that he took it demonstrates the kind of self-assurance I like to see on this team.  Self-assurance is only a step and a half from swagger; and we already have a head start on swagger with #4 on the team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:28 am

Jerebko was named to the NBA All-Rookie Second Team in 2010, so clearly the guy has a lot of talent.

He suffered a very tough achilles injury and with a slow comeback from that and 6 coaches in 6 seasons, he never got a chance to show what he can do.

Jonas is good for 7 to 10 points and 3 or 4 rebounds pre game...with some energy on both ends. Very good pick up by DA.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:51 am

Mrkleen,

And Jonas is tied with Isaiah Thomas for most points per 36 minutes on the team.  That proves he's going to be an MVP candidate.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:58 am

Good point Sam.

You know I am a big fan of the Per 36 stat.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Sully has a conditioning problem which could have significant impact on his career longterm.

Kelly might be no tougher than Barf-nani, and you have no idea how much that upsets me.

I'm not ready to annoint Jonas Jerebko as the next anything, he has only played one game in green and it was "only the Knicks" but he does provide Danny with options. If Jerebko continues to show us something (and with Sully out for the year the minutes could be there) could keep Jerebko and trade any of Sully (weight issues but on a rookie contract), Kelly (soft and on a rookie contract) or Bass (value as veteran).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Getting back to the original post on this thread---the Celtics need Sullenger--even if his conditioning level to not his best trait. Sullenger has the potential to be a 20+ point and 12 rebound per game player who can play against any other teams power forwards and can also play center at various times. Such guys are not easily found.

I think that he is one of the better low post power forwards in the league, and will be even better when he is told to stay much closer (more hoops and more rebounds) to the hoop. I do not see many other power forwards better than Sullenger in this age of 'stretch fours' which may turn out to only be a short-term trend.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:19 pm

wide clyde wrote:Getting back to the original post on this thread---the Celtics need Sullenger--even if his conditioning level to not his best trait.  Sullenger has the potential to be a 20+ point and 12 rebound per game player who can play against any other teams power forwards and can also play center at various times.  Such guys are not easily found.

I think that he is one of the better low post power forwards in the league, and will be even better when he is told to stay much closer (more hoops and more rebounds) to the hoop.  I do not see many other power forwards better than Sullenger in this age of 'stretch fours' which may turn out to only be a short-term trend.

clyde,

He has the potential to be a 20+ point and 12 rebound per game player IF he is healthy and can stay on the court. His ongoing weight issues represents a significant obstacle to that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:28 pm

bob,

You are correct i mentioning that Sullenger has the 'potential', and Sullenger needs to do the work to stay healthy and stay on the court and also to be able to play more than 28 minutes when he is not injured.

This should be a giant challenge for this guy as his future pay days will be determined by his actions. It is also a giant challenge for the Cs because they NEED this young guy to score 20+ and become an all-star type player.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Jerebko is not and will never be a starter on the Celtics. I do think he can be a rotation guy and role player. I think he is fully aware that he needs to work hard to be valuable and also take minutes as they come. I am sure he is very happy to just be in the NBA.

So a guy that works hard and his ego can deal with not playing a lot of minutes, I think he can play both PF and SF (I think he played some SF early on in Detroit). If he is is willing to do it on the cheap, why not?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:21 pm

In his first meaningful time as a Celtic, Jerebko played center.  While I wouldn't claim he looked like a traditional center; and, while he obviously played against inferior competition, I'm hopeful that he can help take some of the pressure off Zeller at least against certain opponents.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:46 pm

bobheckler wrote:
wide clyde wrote:Getting back to the original post on this thread---the Celtics need Sullenger--even if his conditioning level to not his best trait.  Sullenger has the potential to be a 20+ point and 12 rebound per game player who can play against any other teams power forwards and can also play center at various times.  Such guys are not easily found.

I think that he is one of the better low post power forwards in the league, and will be even better when he is told to stay much closer (more hoops and more rebounds) to the hoop.  I do not see many other power forwards better than Sullenger in this age of 'stretch fours' which may turn out to only be a short-term trend.

clyde,

He has the potential to be a 20+ point and 12 rebound per game player IF he is healthy and can stay on the court.  His ongoing weight issues represents a significant obstacle to that.

bob

"All of our players have met conditioning, body fat, goals set by trainers, and Jared has not met them," Ainge said.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25082316/ainge-jared-sullinger-did-not-meet-celtics-conditioning-goals?FTAG=YHF8a562c3

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:52 pm

sam wrote:At the very worst, Jerebko gives Brad another big in the manpower struggle to fill in for Sully.  At best, Danny may have found another foot soldier in the march toward rebuilding.

Sure, his outburst came against the Knicks.  But that kind of statement is vastly overrated.  I'm not aware that the Knicks' deficiencies (1) altered the trajectory on the threes he hit or (2) gave him extra hops in taking the ball to the rim or making that hice putback.

Perhaps he'll turn out to be just a one hit wonder.  But I'm hoping that won't be true. Because, much like Crowder, Jonas is the right guy at the right time to fill some very important Celtics needs.

Sam

Perhaps a one hit wonder (and there is no shame in that, I, for one, would love a "hit"), but Danny does seem to have a knack for looking outside the box (i.e. high draft picks) for talent. IT is a perfect example - drafted 60th and Danny has clearly coveted him for some time.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:06 pm

Attention Board Members.

STRAWS FOR SALE ( SPECIAL GRASPING TYPE ) - 10 CENTS A HANDFULL.

swish

Last edited by swish on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor change)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 pm

swish wrote:Attention Board Members.

STRAWS FOR SALE ( SPECIAL GRASPING TYPE ) -  10 CENTS A HANDFULL.

swish

OK Swish, you've got the post of the week in my book.

That was funny, called for, and directly on target.

I'm fighting the urge to repost it in a few other currently active threads.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 am

OK, just so it's clear.

my original post was tongue in check, as to Jerebko "replacing "Sully. Of course Sullinger is the better player.

I also wanted to give props to the new guy, who stepped up when called on against the Knicks.

Bob, as you probably know I like Kelly much more than many do around here. Is he Paul Silas, nope!

But he is a natural stretch 4, which is all the rouge in the NBA now, with range to the 3 point line NATURALLY.

he also has a very high BB IQ and good passing skills. he'll never be anything more than an average defender at best.

Looks like Zeller, Bass, Kelly and Jerebko will have to hold the fort for the most part at the big man slots the rest of this year. So I am going to hope that Jerebko plays the best BB in his entire NBA career now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:57 am

kdp59

I knew that your remark was tongue in cheek. My comments were intended as a sort of spoof on the subject in general.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am

No problems...i understand that "tone" and even sarcasm don't always follow with typed words.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Good one Swish! But, in a year where we saw so many games go out the door in the last quarter, I will grab any straw I can to keep spirits up! Best line of the year!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Rosalie

Haven't WE ALL grasped at a straw or 2 when things were a little on the bleak side ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down