Notebook: Warriors Praise New-Look Celtics

2 posters

Go down

Notebook:  Warriors Praise New-Look Celtics Empty Notebook: Warriors Praise New-Look Celtics

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:39 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4718103/notebook-warriors-praise-new-look-cs

Notebook: Warriors praise new-look C's
March, 1, 2015
MAR 1 10:48 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics already had overhauled their roster twice before visiting the Golden State Warriors in late January. The Celtics still looked a bit different to the NBA's best squad on Sunday because of two more swaps at February's deadline.

The Warriors showered the current version of the Celtics with praise after rallying from a 26-point deficit for a 106-101 triumph at TD Garden.

"We studied them [this weekend] and the trades they made, obviously they’re not as familiar with each other but the talent they have and the pace that they try to play at now is tough and they showed that obviously in the first quarter," Steph Curry said. "We had to make adjustments, we didn’t want to be down 26."

Echoed Splash Brother Klay Thompson: "[The Celtics have] improved since the last time we played them. They play real well together, I’m just happy we grinded it out."

Newcomer Isaiah Thomas gave Boston a spark that helped Boston put up 65 first-half points before the Warriors ramped up their defensive efforts in the second half and countered with their own small-ball lineups that the Celtics struggled to contain.

But the Warriors were complimentary of what they saw from Boston.

"The trade has made them different," Warriors coach Steve Kerr said. "We [didn't] see [Jared] Sullinger, who killed us last game. ... I know they’ve had [22] guys on their roster. The consistent thing is the guard play. I’m a big fan of Avery Bradley; I think [rookie Marcus] Smart's going to be a really good player, they are both excellent defensively. Along with Isaiah, he’s a pain to guard on that high screen. They are playing hard, they are extremely well-coached. They’ve got some good young pieces. Obviously, this is the first stage of a process."

KERR CARRIES SOME PRAISE FOR THOMAS

Kerr spent part of his pregame chat with reporters noting how Thomas impacts Boston's offense. The Warriors saw plenty of Thomas during his brief time with Phoenix.

"The other guys are really good players, but not as devastating on the high screen and roll stuff. That’s where Isaiah has made his whole career because he makes 3s and he’s crafty getting around the screen, snaking in and out of the paint," Kerr explained.

But then Kerr suggested that Thomas might be taking advantage of the league's relaxed dribble rules.

"He’s taken advantage of the newer NBA rule of carrying the ball is perfectly legal," Kerr said. "Along with many other guards, Isaiah is not alone -- [Curry] does it some too. I was sort of half-joking, but I am being perfectly honest when I say the liberal call -- or lack thereof of the carry -- has made guarding high screens almost impossible at times. When a guy can discontinue his dribble and go up to make a pass or shoot and then just dribble again with a screener in his way, I’m not sure what you’re supposed to do as a defender. Everybody does it, everybody around the league. Isaiah is really good at the high screen anyway and given the way that the game is called and the game is played, everybody going small and shooters all over the floor, he’s a really powerful force."

Maybe Kerr is simply still a little sore from when Thomas scored 22 points to help the Suns to a November victory over the Warriors in Phoenix.

"You've got to have a guy that’s going to force defenses to respond and react, and Isaiah is one of those guys," Kerr said.

OLYNYK STILL ON MEND

Kelly Olynyk missed his 17th straight game due to a sprained right ankle.

Olynyk participated in nearly all of Boston's light off-day workout Saturday, but admitted then that he didn't feel his ankle was healthy enough to resume game action. Olynyk has maintained a desire to not return until he's certain he can help the team on the floor.

Stevens said he's not overly concerned about Olynyk needing time to shake rust, but acknowledged the team needs to get Olynyk back to the level he was playing at before the injury in late January.

"I think the biggest thing for him is just getting back and getting back to playing at a good level," Stevens said. "First and foremost, from an effort and defensive standpoint. I think that whatever rust there is from not playing, it’ll be knocked off pretty quickly, maybe even in one stint playing. I’m not too concerned about that."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Notebook:  Warriors Praise New-Look Celtics Empty Re: Notebook: Warriors Praise New-Look Celtics

Post by Sam Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:04 pm

So would we rather be the Celtics or Philly?  After all Philly is stacked with centers and has a good chance to grab the super-precious #1 pick in the crap shoot.  Which of the two teams is closer to becoming a contender?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down