James Young gets a vote

5 posters

Go down

James Young gets a vote Empty James Young gets a vote

Post by steve3344 Thu May 21, 2015 9:54 am

Just noticed James Young got a vote for the 2014-2015 NBA All-Rookie team:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/05/18/2014-15-nba-all-rookie-team/

Didn't know his family was allowed to vote.

Interestingly Marcus Smart got the sixth most votes (and thus wound up getting the first slot on the second team). And coincidentally he was drafted sixth.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

James Young gets a vote Empty Re: James Young gets a vote

Post by wide clyde Thu May 21, 2015 12:50 pm

If James Young got a vote for the All-Rookie team there had to be something wrong: the vote tabulations were miscounted, someone paid some guy to vote for Young or someone in Young's family was voting.

I bet that Gerald Wallace did not vote for Young.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu May 21, 2015 1:09 pm

wide clyde wrote:If James Young got a vote for the All-Rookie team there had to be something wrong:  the vote tabulations were miscounted, someone paid some guy to vote for Young or someone in Young's family was voting.

I bet that Gerald Wallace did not vote for Young.

It's hard to miscount one vote - which is what he got from some numbskull.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu May 21, 2015 7:34 pm

Stevens on James Young
Post#1 » Today 8:11 pm

Though there wasn't much direct Celtics talk during Stevens' appearance on Mike and Mike today, it was nice to see him go out of his way to compliment James Young. He was complimentary of his work ethic and called him a guy who would be ready sooner rather than later.

I have seen a lot of posters using Young as an afterthought in their move up scenarios, and I think this line of thinking is a severe case of "grass is always greener" syndrome. One GM recently said that if Young had stayed at Kentucky he would be a top 10 pick in this draft. He will still be just 19 years old during this years Summer League. He's already got effortless range from 3, a beautiful step back, and some crafty attacking moves. I think if he applies himself in the weight room over the next couple of summers then we are sitting on a piece with Harden type upside. Is there a section of this board that remains as bullish on JY as I am?

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1388760&sid=6733cda9e4fe6daba41ec009a8727f2a#start_here

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 21, 2015 7:55 pm

well anything is possible, this year was a waste, but so was AB's rookie year.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Funny line about the family, Steve.  It seems James has become the punching bag of choice, and I'm sure that's true in more scenarios than just this forum.  It doesn't seem right to give up on him completely.  But it looks as though this summer could be a make or break time for him, given the degree of overhaul the Celtics roster could see.

Good luck, James.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu May 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Here's the part where Brad mentions James Young, while talking about the hard transition to the NBA from college, and going pro at 19 years old vs staying in college:

"We think he's going to be a fantastic player, his work ethic is good, he shows up and works hard every day, but he didn't always get the reward of minutes, the reward for doing the mundane work every day."

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu May 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Even if James never becomes an even average defender, which is possible, there's still a role for him in Boston as a bench scorer, in the Jamaal Crawford/Nick Young/early James Harden type of 6th man of the year candidate type role.

Young's playing time pretty much evaporated by the time IT4 came here, but that's the kind of player Young needs on the court with him. Somebody who can really attack the rim, draw defenders, and open up clean looks from 3. And also provide lots of shot fakes and dribble drives past close outs.

Young grew quite a bit as a great contested 3 point shooter in the DLeague last year, with great consistency, but every great shooter likes clean looks, where you can really get into rhythm and get hot.

Turner made some big strides as a dribble driver in the second half of the season, probably inspired by IT4 when he showed up. So our offense should be more dynamic right out of the gate next year. And with Turner, Bradley, and Smart all getting better at attacking the rim and kicking out, all of our guys will be getting more clean looks. Turner, Bradley and Smart are hopefully making it a focal point of the offseason.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu May 21, 2015 8:55 pm

I certainly hope that James Young can end up helping the Celtics, but I have to admit that I am not as enthusiastic as some of you currently are. This guy looks like a guy that just does not "get it". I will gladly eat my prediction if he can turn things around.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down