Celtics Pre-Draft Workouts: Bobby Portis Highlights Big Man-Laden

4 posters

Go down

Celtics Pre-Draft Workouts: Bobby Portis Highlights Big Man-Laden Empty Celtics Pre-Draft Workouts: Bobby Portis Highlights Big Man-Laden

Post by 112288 Wed May 27, 2015 3:01 pm

NESN

by Zack Cox

— Another crop of NBA prospects invaded the Boston Celtics’ practice facility Wednesday for the team’s latest pre-draft workout. Here’s a look at the six draft hopefuls that were in attendance:

Rakeem Christmas, F, Syracuse Big men headlined Tuesday’s workout group, and Christmas has been one of the better ones in college basketball over the past four years. Standing 6-foot-9 and possessing a 7-foot-2 wingspan, the 23-year-old always has been known for his rim-protecting and offensive-rebounding abilities — both needs for the Celtics — but reports out of the NBA draft combine indicated he’s begun to introduce some variety into his offensive game, as well. Christmas averaged 17.5 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game as a senior — massive jumps from his junior-year stats — and is projected to go in the late first or early second round.

David Kravish, F, California Kravish was one of the most productive players in Cal history, setting the school record for games played and becoming to first Golden Bear to record 1,000 points, 800 rebounds and 200 blocks. Even a free-agent contract will be hard to come by for the 22-year-old, though.

Jordan Mickey, F, LSU Mickey earned spots on the All-SEC and SEC All-Defensive first teams as a sophomore. He’s a shot-blocking fiend (3.6 per game this season) but, at 6-foot-8, would be undersized as an NBA big. Regardless, he’s projected as a late first-round pick.

Bobby Portis, F, Arkansas The most highly regarded prospect in Wednesday’s group also is the most likely to be selected by the Celtics at No. 16. Portis was voted SEC Player of the Year as a sophomore this past season after averaging 17.5 points, 8.9 rebounds. 1.4 blocks and 1.1 steals per game. The 6-foot-11, 242-pound big is an above-average jump shooter for someone his size, but he’s best known for his motor and tenacity on the offensive glass — attributes that could make him a favorite of Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

Shannon Scott, PG, Ohio State One of two point guards invited Wednesday, Scott shared a backcourt with probable top-five pick D’Angelo Russell this past season and finished his four-year college career with the second-most steals in Buckeyes history (211). His most likely past to the NBA will be as an undrafted free agent.

Marcus Thornton, PG, William & Mary Not to be confused with the Marcus Thornton who played 39 games for the Celtics this past season, this Thornton averaged 20.0 points per game as a senior with the Tribe. The 6-foot-3 guard is a long shot to be drafted, checking in at No. 98 in DraftExpress’ Top 100 Prospects list.

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Draft Workouts: Bobby Portis Highlights Big Man-Laden Empty Re: Celtics Pre-Draft Workouts: Bobby Portis Highlights Big Man-Laden

Post by 112288 Wed May 27, 2015 3:03 pm

If the Celtics do not trade up, put your money on Bobby Portis. The kid is athletic, got height at 6'11" and can shoot.

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Draft Workouts: Bobby Portis Highlights Big Man-Laden Empty Re: Celtics Pre-Draft Workouts: Bobby Portis Highlights Big Man-Laden

Post by rambone Wed May 27, 2015 3:57 pm

I wouldn't really call him athletic, but he can slide his feet pretty quickly. Very underwhelming jumping ability. But I still like him.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Perhaps a fairer question in the poll that's running is whether the Celtics would be best off keeping Sully or Kelly or drafting Portis.  Both Kelly and Sully have physical limitations which Portis would appear to avoid (although there could be other questions about him).  He's not a great defensive rebounder; but, with a body and energy like his, I suspect that could be an acquired skill.  Perhaps the single stat I like best about him is that, in his college career, he attempted one three pointer every 30 minutes.  That sounds about right to me.  However, he made 47% of the 30 threes he attempted last season, so I suppose Brad would work on him to feature that shot more frequently.

I'm working on a deflategate plan for the NBA in which every attempted three point shot results in a deflated ball.  The secret is snipers in every arena.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Thu May 28, 2015 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Sam, seems like a good plan you're developing. I don't see what could go wrong.

But I suppose there are those unknown unknowns that I haven't considered.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Rambone,

As well as some of the known unknowns.

I think silly putty time has arrived. Declare GSW the winners, move the draft and free agency period up, and let the real action begin.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 28, 2015 2:54 pm

rambone wrote:Sam, seems like a good plan you're developing. I don't see what could go wrong.

But I suppose there are those unknown unknowns that I haven't considered.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down