C's to work out high-talented wings next week

Go down

C's to work out high-talented wings next week Empty C's to work out high-talented wings next week

Post by 112288 Sun May 31, 2015 9:53 am

CSNE

A. SHERROD BLAKLEY

BOSTON – If you’ve been a bit underwhelmed by some of the players brought in recently by the Boston Celtics for workouts, take a number.

Not to fear, Celtics Nation.

There should be a noticeable improvement in the quality of talent in town next week.

Arizona’s Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Virginia’s Justin Anderson are among the players expected to work out for the Celtics next week.

Hollis-Jefferson, projected to go anywhere from the middle of the first round to the early 20s, is arguably the most defensive-ready wing player in this year’s draft.

And during the Chicago pre-draft combine last month, the 6-foot-7-inch Hollis-Jefferson said he is familiar with the Celtics and some of the current players.

“I know Evan Turner, (Marcus) Smart,” said Hollis-Jefferson who is from Chester, Pa. “When Evan Turner was with the Sixers, I grew a relationship with him. He’s a real good guy.”

As for the Celtics, Hollis-Jefferson said, “I think they’re a good program. I think they need one more piece.”

I asked him whether he was that piece.

“Definitely possible,” he said with a grin.

Anderson is another talented wing defender who is widely regarded as a first-round pick in a similar range as Hollis-Jefferson.

At the pre-draft combine in Chicago, the 6-6 small forward said it was pretty much “written down in stone” that he would work out for the Celtics on Monday.

Anderson said the transition for him from college to the pros wouldn’t be that difficult in large part because of head coach Brad Stevens.

“Playing for him would be similar to playing for (Virginia Head coach Tony) Bennett,” Anderson said. “A guy that, he’s a player’s coach for sure. I see what he did at Butler. And also the tradition there, and I love tradition. I love coming into a program where they’re all about winning. And they try to find ways to win every single day no matter what. I think that young program is on the rise.”

Boston will work out at least one other highly-regarded wing player prior to the June 25 NBA draft.

Wisconsin’s Sam Dekker, one of the stars of this past NCAA Tournament, does not have a definite date to work out for the Celtics yet. However, his agent Mark Bartelstein told CSNNE.com that the 6-9 forward will work out for Boston at some point prior to the draft.

Back to top Go down