Celts tonight; no trades, pick G 1st, C 3rd

2 posters

Go down

Celts tonight; no trades, pick G 1st, C 3rd Empty Celts tonight; no trades, pick G 1st, C 3rd

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get here in quite some time, but the draft is one of my favorite NBA events, and I didn't want to miss taking my annual shot at what we should do.  For those keeping score, I've been right exactly once going back to The Globe board in 2005.  Didn't know where this best fit in other draft threads since it's more an annual (and unheard by Celtic management!) individual view of what we ought to do, so I stuck it here by itself.  Other last minute crystal-ball calls are certainly welcome to join in.

I've just tried to catch up on the past three or so months of draft posts and found it impossible; there's lots of well thought out stuff!  Special props to kdp!

So, if I were Danny, this is the way I would do it to best advance the team...

No trades (and we won't make any; not enough attractive assets to move up).  For the most part, I think we will, and should, stay away from selecting the 19-year olds.

#16: Jerian Grant, PG, Notre Dame (Big defensively capable PG who can score as well.  We need a true PG; Smart is our 2-guard.)

#28: Montrezl Harrell, PF, Louisville (PF that can bang and do the dirty work inside)

#33: Dakari Johnson, C, Kentucky (Young, but physical.  Sort of Perk version 2, with better hands; exception to the no-19s)

#45: Andrew Harrison, PG, Kentucky (It's a G/SF league.  You can never have too many big PG candidates)

Alternate Scenarios: SFs Sam Dekker, Wisconsin, or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Arizona at 16 or 28 respectively, if available (Turner is OK and could be a placeholder for another year if we can get a decent PG, but we need a LT SF)

These represent my opinion of the players we should want, if available.  As in past years, Danny hasn't called me to get my thoughts yet.  But... get that green baseball cap ready for Grant.

Almost certain to happen...

This draft will turn out to be much better and deeper than thought at the beginning of the season, with a higher % sticking with their NBA clubs than in the 2014 draft.  Okafor is the true prize, and will have a long, well-rounded NBA career.  Upshaw, and to a lesser extent Lyles, will be the gambles not worth taking.  Someone will reach early for Christmas with the intent of playing him as a PF/C, and end up wishing they took Holmes (PF, TX) or Mickey (PF, LSU) instead.

There you have it.  Hope all here are doing well.  Should be an interesting and hopefully productive night to follow a fairly productive season.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Celts tonight; no trades, pick G 1st, C 3rd Empty Re: Celts tonight; no trades, pick G 1st, C 3rd

Post by Sam Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:40 pm

Great to hear from you, NYCelt, and what better timing than draft time, which you love.  So many people have been expecting—or at least hoping for—something spectacular to happen; and (like last year), Danny hasn't exactly discouraged that kind of thinking.  But, in the last 48-or-so hours, things seem to have simmered down to the point where we keep seeing the same old stories again and again in NBA Rumors.  We'll see what happens.  Hope you can drop in on our Draft Thread.

Best to Nancy and Michael from Sally and me.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celts tonight; no trades, pick G 1st, C 3rd Empty Re: Celts tonight; no trades, pick G 1st, C 3rd

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:50 pm

Sam,

I'll be in touch in the next day or two. Lots going on, but we'll be in Chatham July 9 to 18.

Best to you and Sally!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:54 pm

The names sure were different than my earlier guess festival!

I had us going PG, PF, C, PG

We went PG, SG, PF, PG.  Not too far off by position, at least.

One of these years, besides Marcus Smart, I'll get the names right! I think I'm now 1 out of the last 10; better keep the day job.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down