Celtics Build House Of Guards

3 posters

Go down

Celtics Build House Of Guards Empty Celtics Build House Of Guards

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:52 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/07/celtics_build_house_of_guards

Celtics build house of guards
Isaiah Thomas trusts plans of Danny Ainge

Friday, July 10, 2015

By: Mark Murphy

SALT LAKE CITY — Marcus Smart, now famously, openly wondered why Danny Ainge drafted more guards two weeks ago.

Smart’s senior teammate, Isaiah Thomas, just laughed after hearing the story last night.

“I’ve been in that situation,” said the Celtics guard, who flew in from his home in Seattle to say hello to his coaches and teammates. “I’m not surprised by that at all. I guess I’m a magnet. No matter what team I’m on, they keep drafting them. But Danny knows what he’s doing. He’s built a championship team before. Just have faith in the moves he’s making, and control what you can control.

“We do have a lot of guards, but it will work itself out. Everywhere I’ve been, it’s always worked itself out. Control what you can control.”

Thomas is actually doing more than that. Ainge invited Thomas to become part of the free agent recruiting process, and the guard has dialed up a few targets.

“I think I’m pretty good at it,” said Thomas. “Even in college I was the guy who hung around with guys who came around on visits. When Danny came to me about that, it was easy for me to say, ‘yes.’ I want to do what I can. It’s gonna be tough, but I want to tell them how nice Boston is.”

He won’t say who, though he plans to make more calls. Thomas is also taking the role seriously, with a little bit of passion when it comes to selling his new city on the rest of the league.

He’s discovered that like himself at this time last year, most players who haven’t played in Boston know very little about the city.

“Even before I came to Boston, I didn’t really know how nice it is, with the tradition and everything the Celtics are about,” said Thomas. “I’ve done the best I can possibly do. I’m going to keep trying. There’s a few guys still out there who we can get, but for the most part I’m doing the best I can do.”

The most obvious drawback is weather. Not even Thomas can convince a fellow professional athlete to accept snow.

“I don’t know if you can do that,” he said. “You just have to come to Boston, experience it yourself. People can say what they want about Boston, but once you see how the fans and community are, with people just falling in love with you, it’s one of a kind.

“Personally, I don’t think people want to go there because it’s cold,” said Thomas. “Other than that — I was in Boston a few weeks ago, and that was amazing, nice. It was warm and the city was great. But I think guys for the most part have their minds made up for where they really want to go. You just have to try to do the best you can to lure them to the Boston area.”

The best lure is coaching, talent and success, and for now the Celtics appear to have the first requirement filled thanks to the presence of Brad Stevens.

“They ask about the coaching, the organization,” he said. “I tell them that before Boston I didn’t know much other than the history. The fans, the city, it’s unbelievable, but it’s something you have to experience. It’s the best city I’ve been in by far, with how crazy the fans are.”

Thomas is pleased with one Ainge move in particular. He’s a big David Lee fan.

“He’s a 20 (points) and 10 (rebounds) guy,” said Thomas. “Other than last season, he’s averaged 18 and 10 almost his whole career. He’s a talented guy people like playing with. I shot him a text message ... He’s excited, very excited. I’m excited to get back to work with the guys.

“I like the moves we’ve made,” he said. “I know Danny is probably trying to make more moves for even more players to fit what he’s trying to do. I’m down for what he’s doing and I like the new guys.

“We reached the playoffs. That’s the goal. We’ve seen what we can do. We just have to build from that. We’re a young team that works hard. For the most part we like playing with each other, and that’s half the battle right there. When you play for each other you can go a long way.”

bob
MY NOTE: Danny is taking a page out of Pat Riley's book by getting a personally popular player to sell the team like Riley used DWade.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Build House Of Guards Empty Re: Celtics Build House Of Guards

Post by wide clyde Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:43 pm

bob,

I think that you are correct and I also think that getting your players involved in such recruiting is a great idea. Many of these guys know each other from their many years in AAU, summer camps and college ball so a good word from a guy like Thomas about the team and/or Boston can only help.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:42 am

I wonder how they arrange it.  Does Isaiah take cues from Brad and/or Danny as to whom he recruits?  Would they place that much trust in a player by, in effect, making him part of their planning process?  Does Isaiah just go around recruiting everyone he personally thinks might help the Celtics?

Whatever the case, if this story is not just making a big deal out of one instance of recruiting, it would imply that Isaiah's enough on the "inside" to exempt him from being possible trade bait.

There's just something that doesn't quite add up about this story, although it's a pleasant notion to contemplate.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down