Kendrick Perkins, Pelicans Agree Upon One-Year Deal

+2
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Kendrick Perkins, Pelicans Agree Upon One-Year Deal Empty Kendrick Perkins, Pelicans Agree Upon One-Year Deal

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:59 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238833/Kendrick-Perkins-Pelicans-Agree-Upon-One-Year-Deal

JUL 21, 2015 7:47 PM

The New Orleans Pelicans and Kendrick Perkins are finalizing a contract likely for one season at the veteran's minimum.

Perkins spent the final months of last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers after he was waived by the Utah Jazz.

Anthony Davis typically prefers to play power forward, which could create minutes at center for Perkins.

bob
Sorry, Cow, he's not coming back. It's amazing how players who were making BIG bucks within the past few years (e.g. Perk, Josh Smith, David West) are now playing for the vet minimum.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kendrick Perkins, Pelicans Agree Upon One-Year Deal Empty Re: Kendrick Perkins, Pelicans Agree Upon One-Year Deal

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:58 am

Never giving up huh Cow? Have to side with Bob here, we have seen the last of Perk in Boston. No way Danny wants him here.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Kendrick Perkins, Pelicans Agree Upon One-Year Deal Empty Re: Kendrick Perkins, Pelicans Agree Upon One-Year Deal

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:44 am

Rosalie, did I ever comment that Danny or Stevens wanted him back?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:46 am

bobheckler wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238833/Kendrick-Perkins-Pelicans-Agree-Upon-One-Year-Deal

[i]The New Orleans Pelicans and Kendrick Perkins are finalizing a contract likely for one season at the veteran's minimum.

Perkins spent the final months of last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers after he was waived by the Utah Jazz.

Anthony Davis typically prefers to play power forward, which could create minutes at center for Perkins.

bob
Sorry, Cow, he's not coming back.  It's amazing how players who were making BIG bucks within the past few years (e.g. Perk, Josh Smith, David West) are now playing for the vet minimum.  

you can add Jeff Green to that list soon.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238833/Kendrick-Perkins-Pelicans-Agree-Upon-One-Year-Deal

[i]The New Orleans Pelicans and Kendrick Perkins are finalizing a contract likely for one season at the veteran's minimum.

bob
Sorry, Cow, he's not coming back.  It's amazing how players who were making BIG bucks within the past few years (e.g. Perk, Josh Smith, David West) are now playing for the vet minimum.  

you can add Jeff Green to that list soon.

cow,

No doubt. He's no fool, exercising his player option for $9M.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Considering that he joined the Celtics with an offensive reputation gained in school and wound up becoming known for his defense in the pros, Perk has carved out a nice career for himself. Geographically, it almost seems as though he's working his way back to Beaumont. I can understand how players who have never won a championship take short money for a legitimate shot at a ring. But Perk has a ring and is not likely to sniff one in New Orleans. He must really love the game to risk injury for what amounts to chump change for someone with his bank account. Good luck to him in New Orleans.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:17 pm

sam wrote:He must really love the game to risk injury for what amounts to chump change for someone with his bank account.
It keeps him in the league, and for someone whose position in the league is far from assured, staying in the league is huge. Once you're out of the league at his age and with his limited skill set, it's really hard to get back in.

Plus, the vet's minimum of around $1.5 million is far more than he'll earn in any year after he retires from basketball. I have no idea how well he's managed his earnings, but for someone who never went to college, he'd do well to make this vet-minimum portion of his career last as long as possible.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Outside,

Strictly from a financial viewpoint, you're right. Moreover, I have no idea what kind of "civilian" life he'd be facing if he retired. Perhaps the NBA constitutes most or all of his social life, although I believe he's still married. (I recall that his wife got into a fight at a nail salon a couple of years ago. She called Perk, and he arrived before the cops and wound up throwing a Gatorade bottle at the shop window.)

Somehow, I don't see Perk as coaching material, although I'm reminded that Don Nelson—upon nearing retirement—didn't see himself as coaching material either. Maybe some enterprising team would hire Perk as "toughness coach."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:53 pm

$1.5 mill is nothing.

However perk is:

No longer a starting quality center. Rarely played even with the Mop Head lost for the season.

The Celtics need a quality starting center or a backup that can be plugged into the starting lineup if the starting center is injured. That is not Perk.

His best friend on the team, Rajon Rondo was traded

N.O. has Anthony Davis and the Celtics have no one of significance

N.O. has a ton of great nail salons so the wifey will be happy plus each salon has a gatoraid stand outside the door in the event that she is not happy.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm still laughing, dboss.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down