Summer Quandaries 11 - Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting?

3 posters

Go down

Summer Quandaries 11 -  Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting? Empty Summer Quandaries 11 - Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting?

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:23 pm

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2015/08/sq11-isaiah-thomasproblem-in-waiting.html

SQ11 Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting?

By Lee Lauderdale

Summer Quandaries 11 -  Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting? YinYangBasketballgreenSQ

You can make the case that Isaiah Thomas is the best point guard on the current Celtics. Thomas has made no secret of the fact that he would like to start. The problem is that he makes an almost perfect backup guard and presents distinct liabilities as a starter.

If Isaiah buys in to the 6th man energy burst that is a Celtics tradition and which Ainge has tried hard to sell, he is an exquisite asset. If, however, he chafes in this backup role, he is a problem waiting to happen. How this plays out may play a significant part in the developmental path of this team.

If Danny and/or Brad feels the seed of discontent growing, remember, Thomas is a valuable trade chip. So valuable that he could become a central piece in a trade for that franchise center for which we all lust, and is such a rare and sought after commodity. If Isaiah embraces this 6th man role for which he so well suited, I think he is almost untouchable. On the other hand, I don't think Ainge will let Thomas' ego/ambition become a distraction; instead Danny will maneuver to weave golden cloth before his rare-metal thread turns back into straw.

I can't believe this is the direction that anyone wants this to go but no player is bigger than the team and no ego will be allowed to derail Brad's process and Danny's ultimate goal. It would be foolish for us to stick our heads in the sand and pretend that the issue doesn't exist, and I can guarantee that Ainge will have alternatives worked out if his sell-job sours and the possibility becomes a liability. Put this in the surprise, but not totally unexpected, category and go on about the rebuilding process.

Only 55 days to camp

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries 11 -  Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting? Empty Re: Summer Quandaries 11 - Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting?

Post by Sam Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:47 am

It seems to me that Danny is taking a dual approach in anticipating the growing storm to which Lee references.

First, he's trying to prevent or at least delay or at least dilute the intensity of the storm by giving Isaiah props at every opportunity. In addition to offering universally glowing assessments of Isaiah's play, the little ploy of making Isaiah an unofficial part of the Celtics' recruiting program may not be as little as it seems. It gave Isaiah ego a boost and furnished Isaiah with something to crow about that is 180º away from griping about anything.

Second, he's possibly killed two birds with one stone by drafting Terry Rozier. With the exception of very good offense, Terry is sort of the anti-Smart; and, with an upgrade in his outside shooting, Terry could very well grow into the second coming of Isaiah—but with added height. Hence the value of any tactic Danny can use to delay any potential gathering storm as long as possible.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries 11 -  Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting? Empty Re: Summer Quandaries 11 - Isaiah Thomas—Problem In-Waiting?

Post by dboss Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:13 pm

The main factor that made it possible for Boston to finish the season strong was IT.

He has the same strengths and weaknesses if he starts or comes off of the bench. However the Celtics need him to come off the bench because he can really carry the offense. having Turner and Thomas together in the starting lineup may not work.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Dboss,

I'm not sure Isaiah has the same strengths and weakness whether starting or coming off the bench. For one thing, coming off the bench exposes him to lower-quality competition, which should make Isaiah stronger on a relative basis. Secondarily, when coming off the bench, Isaiah can feel freer taking almost any shots he wants because he's playing with teammates who are more used to deferring to other shooters than members of the starting team would be. And one more thing is that I'd hate to see a Celtics backcourt comprised of Isaiah and Bradley. They could score well enough to be called the "Midget Marauders," but that pairing could compromise some of Avery's defensive efforts and open up opportunities for opposing PGs.

So, even if it's the same Isaiah as a starter or off the bench, I believe that the situations favor his coming off the bench.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down