Tony Battie has interest in playing for Boston...

+4
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
Brandon$$
8 posters

Go down

Tony Battie has interest in playing for Boston... Empty Tony Battie has interest in playing for Boston...

Post by Brandon$$ Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:58 pm

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/217062/source-battie-has-interest-celts

On Friday, Yahoo! Sports reported Tony Battie is a candidate to be bought out by the Nets before Monday’s deadline.

WEEI.com has learned the Celtics are one of the teams Battie would be interested in signing with if he is bought out. According to a source familiar with the situation, Battie would eye the top three or four teams in each conference, which makes sense for a veteran player who is trying to maximize the years he has left in the NBA.

According to the source, Battie, 34, considers himself to be the in twilight of his career and a serviceable big man who could rebound, play tough defense, and give timely fouls.

He has not, however, had any conversations with the Celtics organization.

Battie has played in just 15 games for the Nets this season but spent many years with the Celtics. He played in Boston from 1998 through part of the 2004 season. Prior to being traded to the Nets as part of the Vince Carter deal, he averaged 4.8 points and 3.6 rebounds off the bench for the Magic.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Tony Battie has interest in playing for Boston... Empty Re: Tony Battie has interest in playing for Boston...

Post by NYCelt Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I would file this under "why not?".

We've got the roster room, another big would be welcome, and he could probably be helpful on the boards.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Tony Battie has interest in playing for Boston... Empty Battie

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Why not, someone has to rebound! Maybe he would add an extra big under the basket. We certainly wouldn't be relying on him for points, but the way they have been rebounding, help is accepted. I don't know...you hear about Battie and then you hear about Finley. They are not going to sign two, so who?????? If any.

Watching that game Saturday just irritated me to no end. In the second half, Rondo was bringing the ball up the court, and Davis was walking like it was a day in the park. I wanted to shake him. Blame the old guys all you want, but if the younger guys think they are that good, then why is the second team playing like crap???
I have my thoughts on this subject but I know I would bump into alot of rebuttal here on this site. My 89 year old Mom picked up on the same thing while she was watching the games this past week. Ball movement starts with
the point guard. He is a terrific little ball player, but somehow lately holds onto the ball looking for a shot for himself instead of moving the ball to the open man. The only two people who really get the ball from him are KG and Perk. This is a team game. Let's see what happens when Pierce comes back. I think he is going to take over more so than before. Just my own thoughts!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Tony Battie has interest in playing for Boston... Empty Re: Tony Battie has interest in playing for Boston...

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:11 am

Battie has never been a board eater,we can't find room for SW,now were gonna expect to find PT for Battie?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:19 am

cow

Just need to fill out the roster with good guys. Not much left. Battie seems like a good guy.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:41 am

Okay, there are 2 bigs available, Battie (6-11) and Blount (7-0).

Past history aside, who can help us the most?

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:51 am

Blount is a total stiff. Battie is an injury prone guy, but why not?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:53 pm

No way Danny would sign Blount.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 pm

gyso wrote:Okay, there are 2 bigs available, Battie (6-11) and Blount (7-0).

Past history aside, who can help us the most?

gyso,

"Past history aside"? Past history as in "with the Celtics" or past history as in "Battie has had knee issues this season and Blount hasn't played at all this season"?

Tony Battie was an undersized center (long, but not enough beef to handle the Ilgauskas-class battlecruisers), but he had heart and did his best. Blount proved to be a on-off sometime performer after he got his big contract. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with Battie. I mean, for Pete's sake, Blount hasn't played yet this year for the T-Wolves and I can't find any stories of him being injured. What does it say say when they're cutting a 7'0" player even though they've had Jefferson out with injury and now the DWI?

At a time when the Celtics need to find some ganas, I'd rather sign a player that has it but may be a bit short on physical talent than a player with talent and no ganas. Battie could be this year's PJ. A pro, who knows the game and what is expected, and has nothing to hold him back from giving 110% because he knows he's approaching the end of his road anyway.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:01 pm

bobheck

Very well said sir! Good post!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Agreed! Remember how Blount just laid down after he got his big contract?
No thanks for him!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Unfortunately, Battie was NOT waived by the Nets.

He cannot play in the playoffs for any team except the Nets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down