+3
wide clyde
rambone
Matty
7 posters

Go down

Ainge on Young Empty Ainge on Young

Post by Matty Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:39 pm

http://nesn.com/2015/09/danny-ainge-very-excited-about-james-young-he-has-terrific-upside/

looks like he is here to stay folks...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Ainge on Young Empty Re: Ainge on Young

Post by rambone Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:41 pm

All he has to do is shoot the same ball from the same distance into the same hoop that he did in Maine last year.

It would be great if he some day surpassed Rodney Hood, a similar player who was 2-3 years older and looks like a good pick for Utah.

Young should grow to be stronger than Hood eventually, but it might take another 2-3 years.

And Young might not ever be as good as Hood will be.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Considering we have a big need for a star scoring SF who can shoot the 3, it would be great if Young showed some flashes, or more, at some point soon.

I'm pretty sure a Ritalin prescription would solve half of his problems.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:18 pm

rambone wrote:All he has to do is shoot the same ball from the same distance into the same hoop that he did in Maine last year.

It would be great if he some day surpassed Rodney Hood, a similar player who was 2-3 years older and looks like a good pick for Utah.

Young should grow to be stronger than Hood eventually, but it might take another 2-3 years.

And Young might not ever be as good as Hood will be.

it seems he has a lot of growing up as a player to do in many area's. I expect in another 2-3 years he might will be a regular part of a rotation somewhere. The problem with bringing in kids like him though is that time period is on a completely different contract than his rookie one.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:29 pm

Ainge knows that he will have to reduce his roster by one man before the season officially starts. He may have a love for James Young's talents and potential that perhaps the fans have not yet seen, but should we expect Ainge to dump all over any of his players at this time? Practices have just started and he will be looking for the most return on whomever he decides to cut (trade?) from the team before the first game.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:37 pm

wide clyde wrote:Ainge knows that he will have to reduce his roster by one man before the season officially starts.  He may have a love for James Young's talents and potential that perhaps the fans have not yet seen, but should we expect Ainge to dump all over any of his players at this time?  Practices have just started and he will be looking for the most return on whomever he decides to cut (trade?) from the team before the first game.

He's as good as gone now, Danny's talking him up.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:50 pm

bobheckler wrote:
wide clyde wrote:Ainge knows that he will have to reduce his roster by one man before the season officially starts.  He may have a love for James Young's talents and potential that perhaps the fans have not yet seen, but should we expect Ainge to dump all over any of his players at this time?  Practices have just started and he will be looking for the most return on whomever he decides to cut (trade?) from the team before the first game.

bob

jocolor
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:23 pm

bob,

I was kind of thinking the same thing. As Matty mentioned above in this thread and also mentioned by others many times on many other James Young threads in the last year, he may just have too many holes in his game to fill at this time. If that is true it still does not mean that he will never make it down the road, but he may not make it in Boston now.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:30 pm

bobheckler wrote:

bob

that is exactly what I thought, when I read the piece too.

talk him up, so Ainge can get a future draft pick for him or bundle him in a bigger deal.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Danny's pattern of behavior:

Rondo is a part of our rebuild - he's traded to Dallas.
Jeff Green has talent that few others possess - he's traded to Memphis.
Brandon Bass could be with us for a long gone time - now he's a Laker because Danny chose Jerebko.
Brad loves Prince and publicly begs to keep him at trade deadline - traded to Detroit.

IT wants to start - no comment from Danny.  Think IT will be traded?  I sure don't.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:13 pm

It is pretty natural for all NBA players to want to start. I would bet that 99.9% of them have started on whatever teams they played for before entering the NBA. Only natural that they would want to continue to start.

So far, Thomas has clearly stated that he would like to start but has also said that it will not be the end of the world if he does not start. Sounds good to me and will continue to sound good until/if he causes any internal trouble about not starting.

His role of being the offensive catalyst coming off the bench fits his total skills sets better than starting, in my opinion, because his defensive weaknesses are not as exposed against the opponents' second stringers as much as they might be against a first string bunch of guys. He was justly finishing games last season so his role is very important while at the same time his contract is very team friendly. I see no trade that sends him away this year.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Seems a lot of Young's problems are confidence related. The kid clearly dominated in the D-league. Yes, the difference in talent between the NBA and the D-league is substantial, but I would argue that the difference in Young's performance in the NBA vs th NBDL cannot solely be explained by the talent differential in the two leagues. Something is going on here with the kids confidence. It may take him a couple of more years before he develops enough confidence to be an NBA player. Whether Ainge wants to wait for something that may never happen, well thats another question???

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:05 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:Seems a lot of Young's problems are confidence related. The kid clearly dominated in the D-league. Yes, the difference in talent between the NBA and the D-league is substantial, but I would argue that the difference in Young's performance in the NBA vs th NBDL cannot solely be explained by the talent differential in the two leagues. Something is going on here with the kids confidence. It may take him a couple of more years before he develops enough confidence to be an NBA player. Whether Ainge wants to wait for something that may never happen, well thats another question???

His biggest problem is skill related.

he is a left handed player and never developed the ability to effectively dribble with his right hand. That reduces he offensive abilities because he can be shaded to the left on defense. I do believe that he can shoot the basketball. He has not been consistent with that so far. Even if he starts to make more shots until he has a NBA level handle for a wing player he will be limited. Dribbling the rock is a skill that is learned early on. If you have not mastered that skill by the time you get to this level it is problematic.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:18 pm

dboss,

This is yet another hole in Young's game. Can he fill in enough of the holes fast enough to become an NBA player?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down