Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question

5 posters

Go down

Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question Empty Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:10 pm

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-west/northwest/minnesota-timberwolves/nikola-pekovics-time-minnesota-coming-end/

Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question

By:  Steve Lee

Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question 450m67_12121236888_Nuggets_at_Timberwolves
Jan. 5, 2015 - Minneapolis, MN, USA - Minnesota Timberwolves' Zach LaVine (Cool passes the ball back to teammate Anthony Bennett (24) during the first quarter on Monday, Jan. 5, 2015, at the Target Center in Minneapolis

The Minnesota Timberwolves have a logjam in the frontcourt, which is one of the reasons why the team just cut ties with 2013 No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett. The Wolves added Karl-Anthony Towns with the No. 1 pick this year, and with third-year pro Gorgui Dieng providing solid contributions, the 5 spot appears to be in good hands for the future.

Over at the 4, a full year of service from Kevin Garnett, the presence of youngster Adreian Payne and the addition of Euro star Nemanja Bjelica has that position stocked as well. With all of these players in place, the role of injured big man Nikola Pekovic is in question moving forward.

While Garnett was brought in for a number of off-court reasons, he’s also viewed as a great mentor for the young stars on the roster, showing Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine and Towns the ins-and-outs of the NBA. Flip Saunders also previously stated that Garnett will start as a result of being the team’s best power forward, and that likely won’t change even with interim head coach Sam Mitchell taking over. One has to wonder if the positives that KG brings actually have a negative effect on Pekovic’s role with the club.

The same can be said for the addition of Towns. As a highly touted No. 1 pick on a rebuilding squad, Towns will surely get plenty of minutes, and with Garnett set to start and receive around 20 minutes per game, that leaves little room for Pekovic (when he gets healthy) considering the other young players also on the roster.

The 29-year-old Pekovic has had issues remaining healthy during his five years with the Wolves, although he’s been a solid contributor when he does play. Last year aside, when he played in the least amount of games since joining the team in 2010, Pek was just hitting his stride, playing approximately 31 minutes a night and averaging 16.3 points and 8.8 rebounds in 2012-2013, and then 17.4 points and 8.7 rebounds in 2013-2014 (although he still missed 48 games combined).

However, while Pekovic has his strengths offensively and posts solid numbers across the board, his man-to-man and help-side defensive abilities as a big man are near polar opposites, something that Garnett, Towns and to a lesser extent Dieng make up for.

Currently, Pekovic is still nursing the Achilles injury that cut his 2014-15 season to only 31 games, and it’s unclear when he’ll be ready to go again:

Jerry Zgoda ✔️ @JerryZgoda
Wolves aren't saying anything but my guess is it'd be good news if Pek was back playing games by the new year
12:32 PM - 26 Sep 2015
 9 9 Retweets   3 3 favorites

Most teams will tell you that injuries don’t impact playing roles once a player returns to full health, however, that usually only rings true for the superstar level talent in the league. When you combine the lack of health with a big-money contract (Pekovic inked a five-year, $60 million contract a couple of seasons ago), it’s imperative that you provide your team with something.

With youngsters in Dieng, Payne and Bjelica around on appealing contracts, an organization dedication to Garnett and the first overall selection of Towns, playing time looks sparse for the man from Montenegro. Sure the Timberwolves just let go of a disappointing forward in Bennett, but it wouldn’t come as much of a surprise if the club looks to part ways with Pekovic at some point this season.

bob

Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question Planet-Krypton-superman-the-movie-20394661-900-719

Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question NIKOLA-PEKOVIC3

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question Empty Re: Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question

Post by kdp59 Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 pm

no thanks

but I just saw that Rose took an elbow to the eye socket and needs surgery.

man he has some bad luck or brittle bones.

$20M in salary this year  and over $21M next.

D. Lee , E. Turner and T. Rozier

for

Rose and McDermott

would work salary wise.

would he be worth the gamble with his recent injury history?

Last edited by kdp59 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed the deal to get Boston down to 15 guaranteed contracts)
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question Empty Re: Nikola Pekovic’s Future in Minnesota in Question

Post by wide clyde Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:38 am

Pekovic does not appear to be any better (if even equal?) to Zeller so I see no need to even check him (and his 12M salary?) out. Minnesota may decide to not want him, but I don't want him in Boston either.

Rose is quite the player, but his injury history (not even counting the eye socket broken bone) is pretty worrisome.
Just too many surgeries on his legs for such a young guy. This guy may well be on his way out of the league due to all of his injuries way sooner than he would like.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:11 pm

after seeing the video dboss posted in another thread...I say, never mind!

he sounded like a guy complaining about his paltry $41M he gets the next two years...I mean come on dude.

like someone else said, how about you try staying on the floor for 82 games and maybe win ONE championship first?

I agree with you Clyde, he might be surprised and how much money he ISN'T offered next time.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Bob

They must be related.

It would be nice if we could pry Dieng away from Minny. Dieng is by no means a dominant center but after 2 years in the league he can rebound and provide rim protection.

Mn has a ton of centers just like we have a ton of forwards.

da is going to make a deal with someone real soon.

If I was a betting man I think Sully is on the block and if DA is planning a 2 for 1 exchange either Jones or Young could be part of the mix. During the Tuesday scrimmage Sully was the 11th man and if that may reveal that his stock on this team has dropped.

The Celtics has too many draft picks and will need to make several trades.

The three players drafted all look to be keepers although their future value is undetermined. The Celts are now in a cycle where it will be impossible to keep adding rookies at the current rate.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:37 pm

dboss wrote:Bob

They must be related.

It would be nice if we could pry Dieng away from Minny.   Dieng is by no means a dominant center but after 2 years in the league he can rebound and provide rim protection.

Mn has a ton of centers just like we have a ton of forwards.

da is going to make a deal with someone real soon.

If I was a betting man I think Sully is on the block and if DA is planning a 2 for 1 exchange either Jones or Young could be part of the mix.  During the Tuesday scrimmage Sully was the 11th man and if that may reveal that his stock on this team has dropped.

The Celtics has too many draft picks and will need to make several trades.

The three players drafted all look to be keepers although their future value is undetermined.  The Celts are now in a cycle where it will be impossible to keep adding rookies at the current rate.

dboss

dboss,

The rumors I've been hearing is that Dieng has had trouble with the physicality down low over the course of the season.  He's not built for pounding. Not that that would necessarily disqualify him in my opinion, beggars can't be choosers, but it is a knock on him.

Danny tried to unload a bunch of picks, he just didn't get any takers.

Pekovic, Dieng, Justin Hamilton, Payne, KG, Towns.  Obviously, the last two are untouchable.  I'm sure they'd rather unload Pekovic, for his contract if nothing else.  I'm not sure I'd want him.  We need a rim protector, not just "a center".  

Trader Danny never sleeps.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:05 pm

kdp59 wrote:no thanks

for

Rose and McDermott

would work salary wise.

Rozier can be better than Rose is now, probably sooner than later, and without the poor intangibles. Rozier is probably already a better defender and 3 point shooter than Rose, and their probably about the same in decision making. Athletically, Rozier is better too at this point.

Rozier is very much in that Rose/Wall/Westbrook mode of scoring, hyper-athletic point guard, but Rozier is a better 3 point shooter than any of them, already.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 pm

rambone wrote:
kdp59 wrote:no thanks

for

Rose and McDermott

would work salary wise.

Rozier can be better than Rose is now, probably sooner than later, and without the poor intangibles. Rozier is probably already a better defender and 3 point shooter than Rose, and their probably about the same in decision making. Athletically, Rozier is better too at this point.

Rozier is very much in that Rose/Wall/Westbrook mode of scoring, hyper-athletic point guard, but Rozier is a better 3 point shooter than any of them, already.

rambone,

Rose and Westbrook, for sure, are superb shot-creators. You really think Rozier can create shots for himself as well as the premier shot-creating point guards in the league?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Bob

agree

he (Dieng) is by no means a physical low post defender. (he should fit right in) However I have not seen any recent scouting reports except for 2013 when he was entering the draft.

Pekovic is a big guy but I am not sure he fits the style that Boston wants to play plus the contract is not cheep.

I have my dvr set to record the first 2 preseason games. I can't wait to see all the new guys play.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down