bobheckler
jeb
Sam
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Finley Apparently a Celtic Empty Finley Apparently a Celtic

Post by Sam Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 pm

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1237300
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Finley Apparently a Celtic Empty Re: Finley Apparently a Celtic

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:15 pm

good. a quality guy and a steady presence ... he will give us ten minutes of smart play a night.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Sam,

Definitely a "space opening" rather than a "space constricting" player, at this point in his career. Coming out of the no-frills no-nonsense San Antonio system.

I like Nate, Quis/Tony, Finley, Davis/Shelden, Sheed as a second unit. It's got outside guns, slashers, a couple of ballhandlers and inside threats.

We've got one more slot open. To bad Tony Battie wasn't released by the Nets. ???? will it be?

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:38 pm

This from realgm, reporting an "NBA source" told Yahoo Sports that Finley will sign with the C's.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65135/20100304/finley_will_sign_with_celtics/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:41 pm

I can live with the 300k.

Hopefully he can contribute something, if nothing else defense?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:01 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:I can live with the 300k.

Hopefully he can contribute something, if nothing else defense?

swede,

He's going to be a 2nd unit guy, so the player he's going to be defending will be a second unit guy.

The 2x all-star and champion will work hard to keep up with the other team's second stringer, just out of pride. If he drains some clutch 3s too, then $300k is cheap, cheap, cheap...

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Source is David Aldridge of NBA.com as of 4:13 p.m. 3/4/10

The Boston Celtics have agreed to verbal terms with free agent guard Michael Finley on a contract for the rest of the season, giving the Celtics another veteran off their bench for the stretch drive, according to Finley's agent, Henry Thomas.

Boston was the leader all along for Finley, who will turn 37 on Saturday, Thomas said. Trying to bolster their roster as Cleveland has done in recent weeks, the Celtics traded for guard Nate Robinson just before last month's trade deadline, have made an offer to free agent center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and quickly zeroed in on Finley, who asked for and was given his release by San Antonio on Monday when he fell out of the Spurs' regular rotation. By getting waived Monday, Finley could still be eligible for a postseason roster if he signed with another team.

"There were others, but they [the Celtics] were the most aggressive and they were the most serious," Thomas said. Finley "was very seriously considering them two years ago, when he re-signed with San Antonio."

Read more: http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20100304#STORY_24599#ixzz0hFafHO7I
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:36 pm

The thing about the above post that surprised me was that it says the Celts have made an offer for Ilgauskas.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:33 pm

FROM BOSTON.COM

Finley headed to Boston
E-mail|Link|Comments (10)Posted by Gary Washburn Globe Staff March 4, 2010 05:25 PM
Henry Thomas, the agent for Michael Finley, confirmed Thursday afternoon that his client is signing a contract with the Celtics for the remainder of the season and will report to practice Saturday with his new team.

Finley, who turns 37 Saturday, was released from the San Antonio Spurs on Monday at his request and the Celtics contacted Thomas this week to show their interest. Finley averaged 3.7 points this season in an injury-played final year with the Spurs.

"The opportunity to earn minutes in the rotation," Thomas said. "And the chance to seek a ring and the chance to play for Doc (Rivers) and with (Kevin Garnett) and some of the other guys. All of those things made Boston attractive."

Finley suffered a badly sprained left ankle early this season and was limited to 25 games for the Spurs. When he returned from injury, he was out of the San Antonio rotation and requested to be waived. General manager and coach Gregg Popovich reluctantly agreed.

"It was difficult in the sense that he grew very fond of the organization," Thomas said. "It was an organization where he won his first and only ring. He has nothing but respect for his time there. This was a rather sudden thing for him."

Finley has piled up more than 17,000 points since entering the league with Phoenix in 1995 out of Wisconsin. He played 9 1/2 seasons in Dallas before signing with the Spurs after the Mavericks bought out his contract. He is a career 37 percent 3-point shooter ,but that number dropped to 31.7 percent this season.

"He is very excited about playing with the guys on the team," Thomas said. "He still thinks he has the ability to contribute some things on the court and provide the things to the team that they need to get another ring."

Thomas said Finley is completely healthy and could be in action Sunday against the Washington Wizards.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:47 pm

112288 wrote:FROM BOSTON.COM

Finley headed to Boston
E-mail|Link|Comments (10)Posted by Gary Washburn Globe Staff March 4, 2010 05:25 PM
Henry Thomas, the agent for Michael Finley, confirmed Thursday afternoon that his client is signing a contract with the Celtics for the remainder of the season and will report to practice Saturday with his new team.

Finley, who turns 37 Saturday, was released from the San Antonio Spurs on Monday at his request and the Celtics contacted Thomas this week to show their interest. Finley averaged 3.7 points this season in an injury-played final year with the Spurs.

"The opportunity to earn minutes in the rotation," Thomas said. "And the chance to seek a ring and the chance to play for Doc (Rivers) and with (Kevin Garnett) and some of the other guys. All of those things made Boston attractive."

Finley suffered a badly sprained left ankle early this season and was limited to 25 games for the Spurs. When he returned from injury, he was out of the San Antonio rotation and requested to be waived. General manager and coach Gregg Popovich reluctantly agreed.

"It was difficult in the sense that he grew very fond of the organization," Thomas said. "It was an organization where he won his first and only ring. He has nothing but respect for his time there. This was a rather sudden thing for him."

Finley has piled up more than 17,000 points since entering the league with Phoenix in 1995 out of Wisconsin. He played 9 1/2 seasons in Dallas before signing with the Spurs after the Mavericks bought out his contract. He is a career 37 percent 3-point shooter ,but that number dropped to 31.7 percent this season.

"He is very excited about playing with the guys on the team," Thomas said. "He still thinks he has the ability to contribute some things on the court and provide the things to the team that they need to get another ring."

Thomas said Finley is completely healthy and could be in action Sunday against the Washington Wizards.

Ah, so it was a severe ankle sprain. I was wondering what happened.

Well, if he's completely healthy, then he might have something left. You can tell pretty quickly on if an ankle has turned to mush.

Nice that he said he wants to play for Doc. Nice that Doc gets respect from the players. Having Thib and Clifford Ray shows he gets it from coaches.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Saw Finley at a clinic for youth in San Antonio in Mid-February.........ankle seems fine...........Spurs are committed to finding time for George Hill and Blair........alas, Michael needed to move on.

Believe in spurts he will be fine.................perhaps a Ramsey like presence in veteran leadership on the second unit ( a concept I disavow, BTW, preferred the actual match up coaching and sixth men of old), who is not against a flop here and there to get a defender in foul trouble.

This scene might interest some as old as I:

video

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:32 pm

What I like about the trade is that we are renting an All Star for the rest of the season who brings scoring. Remember his minutes will be cut down so his legs will be fresh. Now the Celtics will have constant fire power from the outside and a better second team. Nate/Finley/ Baby/ Daniels/Rasheed?

If we can get a wide body as well I think things will turn our way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Good signing IMO. If his drop in 3P shooting percentage is due to the ankle problem then he should be fine. Someone to space the floor is exactly what the second unit needed with the departure of Eddie. At the very least he will demand coverage above the arc, and that will open up the lane for TA and Nate and Daniels. And we still have Davis and Williams to rebound the ball. As for Wallace..........................................................................
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 pm

pumpsie! you almost made it!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Hiya Jeb,

I like Mike as well..................while he has not played at an All-Star level in several years he states the ankle is good as ever, he is a quality bench piece.........and he will actually see his minutes INCREASE with the C's, if he's in the rotation at all. He simply has not been played by Greg this year.

Like the addition being from the Spurs, I follow them, too, and feel they and the C's are the only teams worth watching for one who values the artistry and strategy of a contest.

How have you been, jeb? Thought of you as I was watching a commercial being filmed a week or so ago.

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 pm

tark

Pretty good. On an epic work drought. Walking tall doin some carpentry.

Hangin tough and trying to breathe.

I agree about the spurs. I think Finley is the best guy that was out there and is a good player with a nice floor game. I hope we can somehow find another big out in the wind.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Tark,

I love the poll numbers you posted! Keep it going!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 pm

jeb65 wrote:pumpsie! you almost made it!

Williams continues to earn his minutes. Every time he goes out there he is productive. And he has a great attitude. Its a huge mistake not to play him more, taking some of Wallace's minutes. With him in there in the beginning of the year the team was playing very well. Now he is riding the pine...coincidence??
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:05 pm

i feel like shelden needs minutes too. I agree. He is a good rebounder and friggin tries. So I'm with ya on this one. Liked davis and sherwin out there together.

Sheed does a lot of good things out there too. GREAT hands.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 pm

jeb65 wrote:i feel like shelden needs minutes too. I agree. He is a good rebounder and friggin tries. So I'm with ya on this one. Liked davis and sherwin out there together.

Sheed keeps tossing up bricks from 3point land, fails to get in front of opponents driving to the hoop (he prefers to reach in and try to grab the ball but inevitably gets called for the foul), gets too many T's, and is reported to be uncoachable. If he would just stay on the block almost all the time and play great defense I would not be attacking his game. Right now he is hurting us more than helping us. I think he should play, but less. Maybe about 40% of what he is playing now with the rest of his minutes going to Williams-who, again, is productive in nearly every game he plays in. Huge mistake.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 pm

I see the sam things you do. But I just dont think it's quite as bad. Those threes just kill me. I CRINGE every time.

I'd say he's good for about 15 to 20 a game. But pumpsie...he's had to START a lot of games due to team health...lets see how things go with the full team and him asssuming a bench role as he was supposed to.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:47 am

Pumpsie Green wrote:
jeb65 wrote:i feel like shelden needs minutes too. I agree. He is a good rebounder and friggin tries. So I'm with ya on this one. Liked davis and sherwin out there together.

Sheed keeps tossing up bricks from 3point land, fails to get in front of opponents driving to the hoop (he prefers to reach in and try to grab the ball but inevitably gets called for the foul), gets too many T's, and is reported to be uncoachable. If he would just stay on the block almost all the time and play great defense I would not be attacking his game. Right now he is hurting us more than helping us. I think he should play, but less. Maybe about 40% of what he is playing now with the rest of his minutes going to Williams-who, again, is productive in nearly every game he plays in. Huge mistake.

pumpsie,

I posted a comment on another thread by Rasheed in which he says that he's taking threes because that's what the play calls for. If that's the case, then the problem is Doc's or Rondo's, not his. You take the shot the play calls for. Quite frankly, I was surprised when I read this. I assumed that head-strong Rasheed was the one making the decision. In the article, Rasheed says he'd RATHER play inside more.

As far as failing to get in front of opponents driving to the hoop, that is a problem the team has as a whole. Our perimeter defense is not good, in my opinion. Once the ball penetrates (or the roller gets the ball off the pick) it is very tough for the interior defenders to stop them without fouling or giving their man a free shot at an offensive rebound. They are usually starting out of position, because they're guarding their men wherever they are, and they not only need to move in front of the driver they also need to be outside the circle with both feet planted and still give him a step. If they don't, they will probably be called for a blocking foul. This is why pick-and-rolls have been a staple of basketball offenses since the peach basket days. They are tough to stop if you don't foil them before they really get going. The fault isn't Rasheed's, or KG's or any of the other interior defenders, it's the fault of the player guarding the ball and the player who's guarding the picker. To truly defend that play effectively, they are the ones who need to play defense. By the time they get to Rasheed, we're already in trouble. This is an area where Scal shines. He's the best perimeter defending big man we have not named KG. However, given Scal rarely plays, that explains why we're weak in that area.

In our last two games, both victories, Sheed has shot 6-13 (46%) from the field and is 2-5 (40%) from 3. Granted, those were wins and everybody looks better in wins, but I'll take both those numbers all day everyday from him. In fact, gimme more. 40% from 3 is NOT "tossing up bricks". It is, in fact, an effective fg% of 60%.

As far as playing Shelden in front of Rasheed, I don't see this as an option unless you want to go small with your second unit. Shelden is 6'9" and a wide-body. Rasheed is 6'11" and long. I don't think Shelden has the length to defend the players Rasheed guards when Rasheed is playing center on the 2nd unit.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:With him in there in the beginning of the year the team was playing very well. Now he is riding the pine...coincidence??

PLEASE tell me you are not trying to equate the Celtics early season success with Sheldon Williams? Smile
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:51 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
Pumpsie Green wrote:With him in there in the beginning of the year the team was playing very well. Now he is riding the pine...coincidence??

PLEASE tell me you are not trying to equate the Celtics early season success with Sheldon Williams? Smile

mrkleen,

Don't you know? Shelden is the giver of all goodness.

Actually, for a team that is last or close to it in the league in rebounding...

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Shelden needs more minutes. I like his energy and hustle. Dont understand why his minutes dropped. But Rasheed is a seriously skilled guy so I get your point on that Kleen.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next