Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite

3 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite Empty Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:53 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/12/boston_celtics_notes_jae_crowd_3.html

Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite

Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite 19397163-mmmain
Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James scoops the ball away from Boston Celtics' Jae Crowder during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game in Boston Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2015. (AP Photo/Winslow Townson)

Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on December 21, 2015 at 6:30 AM, updated December 21, 2015 at 7:53 AM

WALTHAM -- Over the weekend, Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens compared Jae Crowder to Kevin Garnett.

Stevens wasn't calling Crowder a future Hall of Famer or suggesting the forward spends an inordinate amount of time pounding his chest. But in the Celtics organization, people still tell tales of Garnett's work ethic. Based on everything Stevens has heard, the former MVP wasted very little time in the gym. Crowder's the same way.

Upon hearing about the comparison, Crowder smiled sheepishly and told reporters he is "far from that." But he wants to be like Garnett. He has heard plenty of stories about the man, because Garnett is the type of person people tell plenty of stories about.

"Very big brotherish," said Jared Sullinger, one of the two players left in Boston who once called Garnett a teammate. "You make a mistake, he's there supporting you. You make a hell-of-a play, I think he's more excited for you. That's been his style over the years, from what I heard. And the one year I had with him he was like that with me."

Now in his 21st NBA season, Garnett could play at the TD Garden for the final time Monday night, though he is under contract through the 2016-17 campaign. He should hear cheers that get the arena "rocking" like he always used to want it.

"That's a guy I look up to," Crowder said after practice Sunday. "And I heard a lot of stories about him and that's what I try to mold myself into being. I try to become a guy like him and approach practices like games."

"That's an honor for him to say that, but I'm far from that," the forward continued. "That's a goal of mine to become a guy like him. That's my approach is to try to become the most vocal leader at practice and when the cameras and stuff aren't around."

Garnett and Stevens, AAU buddies (sort of)

At 39, Garnett's one of the few NBA players older than Stevens (by five months and three days). They are close enough in age that they brushed against each other at a basketball tournament during their youths.

"I was playing an AAU tournament with him on the court next to me," Stevens recalled before marveling at Garnett's ongoing career. "I don't think I could be playing right now, physically, let alone as well as he does. But it's pretty impressive what he's done."

With all that experience, Garnett has morphed into a player-coach of sorts for budding star Karl Towns, the No. 1 overall pick in June's draft.

Sullinger remembers what it was like as a rookie soaking up so much knowledge.

"It's everything that he learned from his years of playing in the NBA," said the Celtics big man. "He helped me out. Every little minor mistake and every little good thing I did in my rookie year, he would point it out and try to help me become better, and understand the game even better."

With a surprising shout out to former Ohio State guard Aaron Craft, "a close second," Sullinger called Garnett the smartest defender with whom he's ever played.

"Scouting reports," Sullinger said. "He knew everything about everybody when it came to bigs. Knew what their favorite shot was to go over, knew if they made a certain move, the next move that was going to happen. Little things like that that gave me the advantage, especially me being a rookie."

Prince's impact

Garnett isn't Minnesota's only veteran presence. The Timberwolves made sure to add plenty of experience to help their young stars.

One of the leaders, Tayshaun Prince, spent a month with the Celtics last season. He must have left a big impact during that month; Stevens will never stop praising the lefty.

"Tayshaun is one of the favorite people that we've had through the door because of what he meant to younger players and how he helped lead by example," the coach said. "I thought it was unusual, his whole approach. Maybe not unusual, but completely professional.

"He came in and we had a walkthrough the day before he got here and I said, 'Hey, you may not play a whole lot, blah, blah, blah.' I put him in the game just to see and I couldn't take him out. He didn't know any of our plays, he didn't know what we were doing, but he just made every right little play that made up for things.

"You talk about basketball instincts, experience, and understanding what to do, I don't think it's a surprise that they are starting him because i think he just brings teams together and he makes everybody play a little bit better around him. He played great the month he was here. So, I'm happy for him. I'm a fan. You guys know that."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite Empty Re: Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite

Post by wideclyde Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:28 pm

There is certainly nothing wrong with Crowder trying to lead along the lines of what Garnett did when with the Cs. Every team needs various kinds of leadership, and Crowder seemed to take some of the leadership role even last season when he first arrived from Dallas.

I just hope that he doesn't make a teammate cry any time soon.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite Empty Re: Boston Celtics notes: Jae Crowder wants to be like Kevin Garnett; Tayshaun Prince a Brad Stevens favorite

Post by beat Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:43 am

How had the deflection of a ball in his hands late in the game yesterday, as the shot clock was about to expire and the Hornets had cut the lead down.

Crowder

And with little hesitation drained a 15-18 foot jumper as the shot clock expired, and that pretty much sealed the win.

He might be our most important piece considering all he can do.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down