Report: Andrew Wiggins vexes Timberwolves by skipping weightlift sessions

2 posters

Go down

Report: Andrew Wiggins vexes Timberwolves by skipping weightlift sessions Empty Report: Andrew Wiggins vexes Timberwolves by skipping weightlift sessions

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Report: Andrew Wiggins vexes Timberwolves by skipping weightlift sessions Zz1kotfmn2fhndrjmzlln2y0zge4mzmwzgnhmzcxotnlzq-e1454683194101
Minnesota Timberwolves guard Andrew Wiggins, right, shoots as Los Angeles Lakers center Tarik Black defends during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2016, in Los Angeles. The Lakers won 119-115. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill

Report: Andrew Wiggins vexes Timberwolves by skipping weightlift sessions

By Dan FeldmanFeb 12, 2016, 1:39 PM EST

The Timberwolves suffered through a miserable 16-win season last year with a teenage shooting guard running point for them.

Their reward?

The teen, Zach LaVine, picked up valuable ball-handling and distributing experience that should serve him well. Andrew Wiggins, who won Rookie of the Year, spent significant time at shooting guard without having to battle more physically developed forwards. And – best of all – Minnesota lost enough to land the No. 1 pick in the draft, Karl-Anthony Towns.

This team looks primed for a bright future with LaVine at shooting guard, Wiggins at small forward and Towns at center. The Timberwolves must still determine whether they want to ride with Ricky Rubio at point guard and find a power forward, but they’re well on their way.

There is a hitch in the plan, though

Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report:

One of the keys to Minnesota’s future success is for Wiggins, 20, to be strong enough to be a full-time small forward and open up the shooting-guard position for LaVine, also 20. Team insiders, though, lament how many weightlifting sessions Wiggins skips, and the supposedly slim-fit, sleeved jerseys the Wolves love to wear show the ample room to grow in his arms.

I think this assessment underrates Wiggins strength. He certainly has more room to fill out, but it’s not as if he’s some weakling out there.

Wiggins even uses his strength to his advantage in clear ways. He ranks in the 96th percentile when defending a post-up that ends a play. His 7.2 free-attempts per game rank eighth in the NBA.

That’s not because he’s a crafty veteran with a bag of tricks. It’s because he’s reasonably strong.

That said, the Timberwolves aren’t necessarily wrong for being dismayed with Wiggins. If he’s skipping weightlifting sessions – especially in Minnesota emphasized them to increase his viability with LaVine – that’s problematic. LaVine, who’s coming off the bench, should be especially perturbed.

These are the types of issues that come up with young teams trying to make the next step. Some figure it out. Some just move past the noise.

I don’t know how the Timberwolves will handle this, but – with Wiggins, LaVine and Towns – they have potential to be special if they figure it out.

bob
MY NOTE:  Danny'll take him off your hands for you.  On another note, this is why I'm not crazy about the draft.  You cannot be sure how they will react when they are in the big-boy's league and everybody isn't kissing their butts like they were in college. When you sign a veteran free agent, you might not be getting him when he is at his most athletic, and you might be paying top dollar for him, but you know what you are getting.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Andrew Wiggins vexes Timberwolves by skipping weightlift sessions Empty Re: Report: Andrew Wiggins vexes Timberwolves by skipping weightlift sessions

Post by wideclyde Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:54 am

This article has some suggestion to it that Minnesota may be interested in moving Wiggins, BobH would like the Cs to get him (and, so would I), but I would think that he will have to do quite a bit more negative things than miss some weight lifting sessions to get moved out of Minnesota.

Yes, he is from the time of having his butt kissed as basketball player probably since he was about six years old, but teams are not going to toss high quality first round picks away for missing some weight training days.

I am sure that they will work with him to further educate this young man on the very important values of weight training and also that he will "get it" when they do. I can attest that "big" arms do not necessarily dictate that you can play in the NBA. I met John Havlicek once when I was in high school and he was with the Cs, and my arms were larger than his. No need to continue...

Wiggins would look pretty good in Celtics green, don't you think?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down