Evan Turner explains why he's 'hard to guard, for real, for real'

Go down

Evan Turner explains why he's 'hard to guard, for real, for real' Empty Evan Turner explains why he's 'hard to guard, for real, for real'

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:41 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/03/boston_celtics_evan_turner_exp.html

Boston Celtics' Evan Turner explains why he's 'hard to guard, for real, for real'

Evan Turner explains why he's 'hard to guard, for real, for real' 19794762-mmmain
FILE: Boston Celtics guards Evan Turner, left, and Isaiah Thomas share a laugh with each other as time runs out in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Denver Nuggets Sunday, Feb. 21, 2016, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on March 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM, updated March 11, 2016 at 7:40 PM

BOSTON -- Though Evan Turner contributes in a lot of ways on a basketball court, he has never been known as an efficient NBA scorer. But over the last two months, the versatile wing (and occasional point guard) has improved drastically in that one area.

Prior to Jan. 11, Turner averaged 9.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.9 assists on 48.0 percent true shooting (a measure of shooting efficiency that accounts for the relative value of free throws, 2-pointers and 3-pointers). Since then, he has boosted his traditional stats a bit (to 10.7 points, 5.0 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game), but the biggest change has come in true shooting where has has reached 54.4 percent. That number would smash Turner's career high.

How has he done it? Turner has cut his 3-point attempts in half while getting to the free throw line a touch more, and he has lifted his midrange shooting from 34.9 percent to 47.0 percent, according to NBA.com. While the latter uptick might be a bit unsustainable, Turner's shot profile has improved considering his 3-point shooting has been so dreadful this season. He has the size to post smaller guards up and the ball-handling ability to drive past guys his size.

"I'm hard to guard, for real, for real," he smiled.

"I don't think anyone is guarding me for a three," continued Turner. "I am coming off pick and rolls. My teammates are setting great screens where I am able to get open along with having a decent enough handle to get loose. I think I try to get in attack mode. I am aware of my spots on the court. Im going to live and die with the shot I shoot a million times. I know my spots on the court where I am successful at."

"I think I have been getting to the rim a little bit more, been trying to focus on that. Every now and then I get a foul call and I get to the line and I try and make that. Theres some crazy stuff going on right now. I am getting brought up in meetings with geniuses supposedly (at this weekend's MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference). I am hitting mid range shots, I hit a three last game, things are just getting great for me."

Celtics head coach Brad Stevens said he has not spoken with Turner about his efficiency.

"He's older," Stevens said. "He's figured out our system, where his spots are, he's always been a confident person as far as playing the game. We're asking him to do a whole heck of a lot, and last year it was a totally new system when he got here. The thing about Evan is he's always doing it with the intent of helping your team. That's the best thing I can say. And efficiency is something you gain with experience."

Added Turner: "I'm a versatile guy. I just try to get it how I live. I want to be on the court, and I try to read the game the best way I can. If there's a little dude on me I'm going to go to the post. If there's a decent-sized guy on me I'm going to try to get my shot or get to the rim. Try to make the right passes and try to keep it simple."

"Just trying to win, trying to focus on that basically. Trying to limit the most distractions, stay healthy, get ready for this playoff push. Regardless of how I play, I play how I always play. I take the shots the defense gives me. Try not to turn the ball over. Hit my free throws, play defense. Hit a three every two months."

Stingy Bradley-Sullinger duo

One stat to come out of the Sloan Conference: according to one study, Avery Bradley and Jared Sullinger allowed fewer points per possession last season than any other duo when going over pick-and-roll ball screens:

Follow

WhiteBlackFrankWhite
‏@SamPackardNBA
#Celtics AB and Sully are best in NBA when going over on ball screen

Evan Turner explains why he's 'hard to guard, for real, for real' CdSMUlPW4AA16vU

Some of the other duos on the list (like Aaron Brooks and Pau Gasol) are not the greatest defenders, and the stat's very difficult to track, which could lead to some inaccuracies in the data. Assuming the numbers are on point, Stevens did not know Bradley and Sullinger ranked so highly in that category, but explained, "Our system is to go over in most of those scenarios. They get a lot of reps at that, that's what they do, and they're both good defenders."

"Sully's very good, as far as understanding the depth at which he needs to be in the pick-and-roll, that's improved quite a bit in last couple of years," continued Stevens. "And his ability to deflect passes and those type of things, he's very smart. He's able to call things out quickly. Then Avery is, I think we all would think that Avery is one of the better players in the league into the ball and directing the ball. So it would make sense that they would be considered in that regard. But I had not seen that stat, per se."

Stevens pays plenty of attention to advanced stats and likes to gather all types of information.

"It's important to improve in the areas that we need to improve," he said. "It's important to use data that is relative to that. If somebody is killing us by going over, over and over and over, then we better adjust regardless of what the stats say."

Injury updates

Though Jared Sullinger (skin infection) will start for the Celtics, fellow big man Kelly Olynyk remains sidelined by a shoulder injury.

Stevens didn't know whether Olynyk is any closer to a return.

"He didn't do anything today," the coach said, "and hopefully he stays on the same path of progress, hopefully he gets better as we inch towards next week's games."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down