Great Bill Walton/Red Auerbach story

3 posters

Go down

Great Bill Walton/Red Auerbach story Empty Great Bill Walton/Red Auerbach story

Post by steve3344 Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:06 am

http://nesn.com/2016/03/bill-walton-tells-amazing-red-auerbach-story-about-his-celtics-physical-before-1985-86-season/

I especially liked the last line and wholeheartedly agree:

"The Celtics went on to win the NBA Finals in a six-game triumph over the Houston Rockets, cementing their place as the best team in league history."

No one today or any other year could compete with a top six of Bird, Parish, McHale, DJ, Ainge and Walton. Five out of six Hall of Famers. Plus solid reserves like Scott Wedman, Sichting, etc. What a thrill to watch that team night after night. I only wish we had played the Lakers that year (we were 2-0 against them in the regular season) instead of Houston. No matter though. 50-1 at home including the playoffs was pretty remarkable. Let's see if Golden State or San Antonio can break that record this year.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Great Bill Walton/Red Auerbach story Empty Re: Great Bill Walton/Red Auerbach story

Post by bobc33 Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:07 am

Steve certainly my favorite team of all time!

Have to give some props to the Rockets they actually won two games somehow in the finals, I believe with a young Hakeem and a healthy Ralph, veterans Robert Reid and John Lucas, and some other good players obviously.

Back to top Go down

Great Bill Walton/Red Auerbach story Empty Re: Great Bill Walton/Red Auerbach story

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 am

steve3344 wrote:http://nesn.com/2016/03/bill-walton-tells-amazing-red-auerbach-story-about-his-celtics-physical-before-1985-86-season/

I especially liked the last line and wholeheartedly agree:

"The Celtics went on to win the NBA Finals in a six-game triumph over the Houston Rockets, cementing their place as the best team in league history."

No one today or any other year could compete with a top six of Bird, Parish, McHale, DJ, Ainge and Walton.  Five out of six Hall of Famers.  Plus solid reserves like Scott Wedman, Sichting, etc.  What a thrill to watch that team night after night.  I only wish we had played the Lakers that year (we were 2-0 against them in the regular season) instead of Houston.  No matter though.  50-1 at home including the playoffs was pretty remarkable.  Let's see if Golden State or San Antonio can break that record this year.

I'm in agreement, just wish you would have brought that up a few years ago when Sam would take on all comers on why his 60's Celtics were the best.....miss going at him in a convenial way. That team had too much size, too much skill, too much depth, they could beat most eras all star teams. Larry Bird at his peak is a bad man, no one could handle the great McHale either, now add in Parrish and Walton, these guys just killed you on defense. They ran off of steals and blocks and rebounds constantly. DJ was the best defensive guard in the business able to cover points or SG's. How many wide open looks did Schiting and Ainge constantly get?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down