Dave Cowens Epitomizes What A Great Basketball Player Is, Bill Walton Says

2 posters

Go down

Dave Cowens Epitomizes What A Great Basketball Player Is, Bill Walton Says Empty Dave Cowens Epitomizes What A Great Basketball Player Is, Bill Walton Says

Post by steve3344 Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 pm

http://nesn.com/2016/04/dave-cowens-epitmozes-what-a-great-basketball-player-is-says-bill-walton/

BOSTON — Bill Walton and Dave Cowens never played together. Walton joined the Celtics shortly before the 1985-86 season, a few years after Cowens retired. But they certainly had memorable battles as opponents during the 1970s, and Walton grew to appreciate No. 18 quite a bit.

“Here was Wilt (Chamberlain), just so dominant. Here was Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar), the best player I ever played against. And Dave Cowens, he would just come into town and torch them both, and they had no chance whatsoever,” Walton said Tuesday at the Liberty Hotel in Boston, where the Celtics were celebrating the 1966, 1976 and 1986 championship teams.

“He ran, he executed, Dave Cowens epitomizes what it means to be a great basketball player and a great leader, a great human being and someone who was a shining star.

“And when you look at Dave Cowens, talk to him, when you witness his brilliance and excellence, you just say, wow, we are so lucky to have Dave in our life. What he did on and off the basketball court is absolutely spectacular. I love that guy.”

Cowens wasn’t a flashy player. He had great fundamentals, did the dirty work in the paint, rebounded, ran the floor as well as any center and dove on the parquet for loose balls. He was a team-first guy with an all-around game, making him a perfect fit for the Celtic culture Red Auerbach created.

But make no mistake, Cowens also was incredibly skilled. He averaged 16.6 points per game in 10 seasons with Boston, a span that included a league MVP award in 1973. Cowens also averaged 18.9 points and 14.4 rebounds per game in his playoff career, and he played a pivotal role in the C’s winning titles in 1974 and 1976.

Cowens isn’t often among the first five or even seven players mentioned when people list the greatest Celtics of all time. While it’s true that naming the best players from a franchise with 60 years of winning is difficult, it’s time to give Cowens more credit.

Walton is absolutely right in his analysis: Cowens was a great player and leader.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Dave Cowens Epitomizes What A Great Basketball Player Is, Bill Walton Says Empty Re: Dave Cowens Epitomizes What A Great Basketball Player Is, Bill Walton Says

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Last night a large group of Celtic Legends from 1966-1976-1986 got together for a celebration.Along with Wyc and Steve Pagliuca, there were so many players in that room that it sent a chilll down my back. They had a huge dinner, and then, Celtics.Com streamed them all talking about their era's, their fellow players, and talked lovingly about Red Auerbach. It was absolutely great to see so many former players together, each from their respective eras, all basically saying the same thing. I wish it would have lasted all night. From the '66 team they had Sanders and Havlicek (although Bill Russell and Sam Jones were in the audience), '76 again had Havlicek, Cowens, Heinsohn, Silas, (with Glenn McDonald, Charley Scott, Steve Kuberski,and of course, JoJo White in the audience), and the '86 team was represented by Ainge, McHale and Walton (with players in the audience). There were many players whose names were never mentioned that I am sure were there.

The common thread throughout was Red, how loyal he was, how smart he was, what a great leader he was. Throughout the room, you could feel Celtic Pride oozing out of their pores. I wish it could have gone on forever, as I realized that I had been around for all these decades, devoted to the Celtics as much then as I am now.

What a great way to kick off the playoffs!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down