IF LAKERS' RUSSELL MADE AVAILABLE, C'S COULD 'PIQUE INTEREST'

+4
wideclyde
Outside
tjmakz
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

IF LAKERS' RUSSELL MADE AVAILABLE, C'S COULD 'PIQUE INTEREST' Empty IF LAKERS' RUSSELL MADE AVAILABLE, C'S COULD 'PIQUE INTEREST'

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:00 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/if-lakers-russell-made-available-cs-could-pique-interest

IF LAKERS' RUSSELL MADE AVAILABLE, C'S COULD 'PIQUE INTEREST'

By Sherrod Blakely March 30, 2016 6:15 PM

All is not well in Los Angeles with the Lakers and their prized draft pick last June, D’Angelo Russell.

The team and Russell’s teammates for that matter, are not the least bit pleased about the 20-year-old taping a conversation between himself and teammate Nick Young that has gone viral.

In that video, Young talks about hooking up with a 19-year-old and not getting together with Amber Rose because “she knows my girl.”

His “girl” is Iggy Azaela who he is engaged to Young and is apparently cool with the video.

As you can imagine, the video has created shall we say, some trust issues among Rusell and the Lakers.

This is just the latest chapter in what has been a narrative full of disappointment, frustration and overall disarray between the No. 2 pick in last June’s NBA draft and the Lakers franchise.

It has been the kind of dysfunctional relationship that some team will surely try and capitalize on and try to trade for Russell.

Could the Celtics be that team?

At least one league executive thinks so.

“All those picks and young players Boston has, they could probably put a package together that would at least pique the Lakers’ interest,” a league executive told CSNNE.com via text. “But do the Lakers want to move him over something like this? I don’t think so. But hey, stranger things have happened.”

The run-ins with head coach Byron Scott and Russell have been well-documented, resulting in him going from playing a major role to not playing to back to playing again.

If the Celtics got to a point where they wanted to make a move on Russell, it would surely have to cost them Marcus Smart.

Smart has distinguished himself as a tremendous defender, but has struggled of late shooting the ball.

Meanwhile, Russell has similar size and is a better scorer but doesn’t provide defensive play anywhere close to what Smart brings to the floor.

Boston would likely have to throw in a pick or potentially swap picks of some kind in order to sweeten the deal.

Again, it remains to be seen if the Celtics will make any effort towards acquiring Russell.

But when it comes to getting deals done, taking advantage of another team’s problems are exactly the kind of deals Danny Ainge has engineered in the past.

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm not sure this is the end of the road for Russell.  He didn't have a great year, although he has had a great March, but he's the #2 pick and he's a rookie and he's just barely 20 (or 19?).

However, just to start a conversation, if the Lakers were willing to consider the deal Blakely, would you make the deal? Would you give up Smart for Russell, with or without additional picks?

Btw, Cornbread Maxwell says that Russell is "totally screwed" with the Lakers. Not management, with his co-players, because he has cost their trust and basketball is a team sport that depends upon trusting your teammates. He also said that he thought that Smart is a better player than Russell. Better defense, his offense will improve (he says). That's one man's opinion, what's yours?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

IF LAKERS' RUSSELL MADE AVAILABLE, C'S COULD 'PIQUE INTEREST' Empty Re: IF LAKERS' RUSSELL MADE AVAILABLE, C'S COULD 'PIQUE INTEREST'

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 am

There's probably writers for 20 teams who are writing similar articles about their team trading for Russell.
The Lakers might be tempted by the #4 pick and Smart for Russell, but I still don't think LA would make that trade.

This was a mistake by Russell. The video was not supposed to be made public. Russell has apologized to the team and Nick Young. This will be a big time lesson learned for Russell.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

IF LAKERS' RUSSELL MADE AVAILABLE, C'S COULD 'PIQUE INTEREST' Empty Re: IF LAKERS' RUSSELL MADE AVAILABLE, C'S COULD 'PIQUE INTEREST'

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:38 am

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/30/dangelo-russell-booed-lakers-fans-nick-young-video-iggy-azalea-lakers

Watch: L.A. fans boo D’Angelo Russell during Lakers-Heat game

BY SI WIRE

Posted: Wed Mar. 30, 2016Updated: Thu Mar. 31, 2016

Los Angeles Lakers fans booed rookie guard D’Angelo Russell on Wednesday night during their 102–100 overtime victory over the Miami Heat after he recorded what appeared to be private conversation on his phone with teammate Nick Young.

The video was leaked and shows Young discussing his relationship with other women other than fiancée and rapper Iggy Azalea.

Serena Winters ‎@SerenaWinters
Mixed reviews for D'Angelo Russell's intro in tonight's starting lineups
7:40 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 61 61 Retweets   84 84 likes

Baxter Holmes ✔ ‎@BaxterHolmes
Man, quite a few boos from the Staples Center crowd when D’Angelo Russell was introduced tonight.
7:38 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 162 162 Retweets   113 113 likes

Jason McIntyre ✔ ‎@jasonrmcintyre
Loud, 'show the video' scream as D'Angelo Russell touches he ball
7:41 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 4 4 Retweets   3 3 likes

Baxter Holmes ✔ ‎@BaxterHolmes
Boos from the crowd when D’Angelo Russell touches the ball on offense.
7:42 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 29 29 Retweets   28 28 likes

Michael Pina ‎@MichaelVPina
A fan behind press row just yelled "traitor" when D'Angelo Russell touched the ball.
7:43 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 288 288 Retweets   238 238 likes

Head coach Byron Scott told reporters before the game that he saw it as a “bump in the road,” and that he was disappointed the Lakers were unable to deal with the situation internally before the media caught wind of things.

Russell finished with 16 points on 6-of-19 shooting in 35 minutes against Miami. The video was a hot topic following the overtime win.

Mike Bresnahan ✔ ‎@Mike_Bresnahan
D'Angelo Russell: “I can’t really show my face anywhere right now without people hating me. I’ll try to end it the right way.”
10:32 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 199 199 Retweets   213 213 likes

Kobe on D'Angelo: "It's unfortunate man. It's tough." Added that maybe it would lead to growth. "I'm sure he'll be better from it."
10:48 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 55 55 Retweets   66 66 likes

Mike Trudell ✔ ‎@LakersReporter
Kobe on the off court issues: “Adversity is always tough …especially with young guys … But it all comes back to the game.”
10:46 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 245 245 Retweets   484 484 likes

Julius Randle takes diplomatic route on Russell/Young: "Both these guys have my support. That's their personal situation."
10:26 PM - 30 Mar 2016
 71 71 Retweets   109 109 likes

With the victory, L.A. improved to 16–59 and avoided its second straight 60-loss season. Miami fell to 43–31.

bob
MY NOTE:  Julius Randle is the future of the Lakers.  Russell?  Not so sure.  One thing is for sure, when YOUR home crowd boos you every time you touch the ball, that's pretty frippin' bad.  Scott's comment about how he was "disappointed the Lakers were unable to deal with the situation internally before the media caught wind of things" isn't that good neither.  He, or a member of the coaching staff, must have known about it and seen what was going on between the players.  I heard that Russell sat down at a table for lunch with another Laker player and that player got up, took his tray, and went to another table.  Scott, or one of his staff, should have stepped in and pulled Russell aside and told him he needed to fix this IMMEDIATELY.  Byron Scott is a very classy guy, who played with a bunch of very classy guys.  It must be tough for him to deal with this early high school crap.  Not a word from Kobe neither, not even a death stare.  Kobe is trying to go out like Mr. Nice Guy, which is odd since the source of his success, what has driven him and his teammates all these years, is that he isn't.

Just as the season-long Sacramento Kings soap opera takes a brief rest, someone else bubbles to the surface.

Not to seem totally harsh and cold vs LA here, thank you Lakers (especially Julius Randle) for beating the Heat last night.  That dropped them back 1/2 game.  There is now a 3 game tie between Boston, Miami and Charlotte, with Boston owning the tie-breakers against both of them.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:03 am

bob,

I have to disagree about the future of the Lakers.
There was a report out recently about some unnamed execs from other teams and they agreed that Russell is a potential star while Randle will be in a supporting role.

That was a very needed win for the Lakers last night especially after the Utah blow out and the D'Angelo mess.

This will blow over soon and it will help D'Angelo grow up quickly.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:54 am

The little that I've watched the Lakers, Randle hasn't impressed me. He seems undersized, not particularly athletic, and overwhelmed against better players. Russell has seemed hot and cold, capable of bursts of really good offense but afflicted by a lack of defensive effort and consistent play overall, which I suppose is to be expected for such a young rookie.

This video mess will taint Russell's career for a good long while, but I do think it will eventually blow over, at least to the point that he can resume his career. Nick Young will be gone, Russell will stay, and the other players will have to adapt to that reality or they'll be gone, too. What other choice do the Lakers have? They can't get decent value for him in trade, because they'd be looking for a franchise building block in return.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:34 pm

I agree that Randle has not yet looked like a franchise savior, but he is still very young and may eventually become a great player for the Lakers to build around.

Thoughts on the Cs trading anything but maybe James Young and a second round draft pick for Russell goes above my interest in this guy.

If he is not the ultimate prima donna so far in his career he is certainly off to a GREAT start to earn this trophy.

I understand that he may be able to learn to adjust his ways as (if?) he matures, but with the Cs looking to compete for banner #18 within the next few years, I do not want them to be the team that has to "teach" this guy how to be a good teammate and pro player. Marcus Smart may never be Russell's equal at the offensive end, but I will take him on my team every single day over Russell.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:52 pm

the Nets pick AND Smart?

good one

way to try to stock your team at the Celtics expense there.....LOL.

I know, you have to try!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:58 pm

kdp59 wrote:the Nets pick AND Smart?

good one

I know, you have to try!

If the Lakers traded Russell to Boston, who would be the Lakers point guard of the future?
Kris Dunn? No thanks.
Marcus Smart is not Boston's point guard of the future.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:50 pm

tjmakz wrote:
kdp59 wrote:the Nets pick AND Smart?

good one

I know, you have to try!

If the Lakers traded Russell to Boston, who would be the Lakers point guard of the future?
Kris Dunn? No thanks.
Marcus Smart is not Boston's point guard of the future.

Rondo!

Cool
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:15 pm

Laker fans booed Russell from the start of last night's game, but when he made a big bucket to help secure a win over Washington, they cheered him. Time, and playing well, will lead to forgiveness from the fans. Who knows, maybe this whole episode will accelerate his maturation process.

Whether he stays with the Lakers will be determined by his play more than anything. An offseason below the radar and a fresh start next season will do him wonders.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:28 pm

Great idea..we are in desperate need of another point guard.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:23 pm

dboss wrote:Great idea..we are in desperate need of another point guard.

Dboss

I think you forgot to use the sarcasm font there.

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:31 pm

BobH: "Scott, or one of his staff, should have stepped in and pulled Russell aside and told him he needed to fix this IMMEDIATELY."

There's no easy, or even possible fix for such a bad transgression. Total scumbag move on Russell's part. And there were already huge "trust issues" with Russell even before this. One could argue "maturity" had little to do with it, or at least that there are underlying character issues that go way beyond immaturity. Obviously not a natural leader. Like Rondo, who slept with his teammate/roommate's girlfriend in college. No wonder nobody in Kentucky had anything good to say about him.

The first huge red flag for me with Russell was when he declared himself the best player in last year's draft. Most people thought that was a sign of great confidence, but I thought it was a sign of great arrogance. He's not even really an NBA level athlete.

Then he shows up to Summer League and Training camp out of shape, thinking he's already made it and the NBA is going to be cake. No clue that his athleticism wasn't nearly up to snuff, and unfortunately for him, it probably never will be.

Russell wasn't even on the draft radar screen when his college season started. But he had a hot start against non-conference opponents, and a good season the rest of the way. But he struggled against nba level defenders, and we've seen him struggle on both ends of the court against good athletes/defenders.

Now, Ben Simmons is close friends with Russell, and they played together in high school. I have the same big questions about Simmons' intangibles as I did about Russell's. I don't think Simmons has a leadership bone in his body. Even the Australian National team doesn't like him, and he's their best player.

Simmons basically quit on his LSU team, stopped playing defense even in do-or-die games, and couldn't leave LSU fast enough.

Just about the worst thing for a team is a ball-dominant guy who is a terrible leader who teammates don't play all out for. We saw this with Rondo both before the Big 3 era and from 2012-2015, when it became "Rondo's team". The Celtics played better without Rondo in three straight seasons from 2012-2015. After Rondo's knee injury in 12-13, before Rondo's return in 13-14, and after Rondo got traded in 15-16.

Now Rondo is back to playing zero defense but putting up stats in SAC. It's like he has a deal with Karl that Karl won't ask Rondo to play defense, and Rondo will support Karl and lobby for him not to get fired.

Now, maybe Stevens can reach Ben Simmons and all would be well if we drafted him, but I've seen more than enough warning signs to make me doubt that the TEAM performance over multiple seasons would actually improve with Simmons playing a big role. Even though Simmons would put up good stats like Rondo did. Plenty of triple doubles, but how many wins? How hard would the rest of the team play on defense? How well would the ball move with Simmons on the team?

As far as Russell, I don't want him. Let him put up empty stats elsewhere. He's already shown he's an MVP level chemistry destroyer.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Bone, The Celtics won a championship and contended for a another with Rondo running the point.  Ball dominance and leader are two mutually exclusive concepts.

I do agree that Rondo plays zero defense except for averaging 2 steals per game.  I assume someone just accidentally throws him the ball a couple of time per game and the  6 rebounds he averages, 4.9 off the defensive glass is sometimes considered a defensive stat but I am sure that in his case it is him stealing rebounds from his teammates

And you can see that without him slowing down the pace the Celtics have turned into a high scoring efficient offense except for the fact that the Kings score more points per game than we do and they shoot at a higher percentage.

As far as the kid Russell is concerend, he made a mistakes.  It is not the end of the world and he still seems to have enough talent to become an outstanding PG.

Also Simmons only went to LSU because the assistant coach played ball with his father.  Besides, if not for the stupid restriction on letting high school ballers play in the NBA, he would not have gone to college in the first place.  I do not know how many LSU games you watched but that is a very poorly coached team.  Despite questions about his attitude Simmons did quite well for a freshman averaging 19.2 PPG, 11.8 Rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.0 steals.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:55 pm

SAC's offense and defense are both better with Rondo off the court vs on the court. Especially their defense.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/on-off/2016/

That's why Rondo has one of the worst +/- on the team:
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/?ls=iref:nba:gnav#!/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612758&sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=1

If your idea of good defense is gambing for the steal every time, and coming up with a couple steals a game, you probably wish Rondo was still here, putting up triple doubles while we win 33% of our games.

Simmons, like Rondo and Russell, shows no heart on defense. Surround Simmons with 3 hall of famers and he'll probably be fine. Anything less, and he'll show no heart, in all likelihood.

And while he might put up stats and triple doubles, his team's actual record will likely suck, just like his pre-season top 25 LSU Tigers.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:21 pm

arambone wrote:SAC's offense and defense are both better with Rondo off the court vs on the court. Especially their defense.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/on-off/2016/

That's why Rondo has one of the worst +/- on the team:
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/?ls=iref:nba:gnav#!/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612758&sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=1

If your idea of good defense is gambing for the steal every time, and coming up with a couple steals a game, you probably wish Rondo was still here, putting up triple doubles while we win 33% of our games.

Simmons, like Rondo and Russell, shows no heart on defense. Surround Simmons with 3 hall of famers and he'll probably be fine. Anything less, and he'll show no heart, in all likelihood.

And while he might put up stats and triple doubles, his team's actual record will likely suck, just like his pre-season top 25 LSU Tigers.

Calm down buddy..take a deep breath.  I was kidding about Rondo's defense.  But you did say he plays zero defense which is actually not factual.  Every player that tries to steal the ball is gambling.  That is not the problem with his defense.  the problem is that he refuses to put himself within 5 feet of the offensive player.    Rondo used to be a very good defensive player and I think he made the all defensive team before.  That had nothing to do with the 3 hall of famers particularly considering that 2 of them never played defense either (Pierce and Allen)

In all likelihood you have no earthly idea how Simmons will play.   And it is too early to predict how Russell will play although i suspect he will not be a great defender.  There are a lot of players in the NBA that do not play good defense.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:36 pm

my bad Embarassed

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:25 pm

bone

We both agree that rondo is a horrible defensive player.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down