Nets shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young for rest of year

+4
NYCelt
wideclyde
bobheckler
steve3344
8 posters

Go down

Nets shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young for rest of year Empty Nets shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young for rest of year

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:57 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/nets-shut-brook-lopez-thaddeus-young-rest-year-article-1.2586922

Terrific.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Nets shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young for rest of year Empty Re: Nets shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young for rest of year

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:59 pm

steve3344 wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/nets-shut-brook-lopez-thaddeus-young-rest-year-article-1.2586922

Terrific.

Unbelievable!

I cannot understand why they are doing it.  They aren't playing for the draft pick.  "Players got injured in meaningless play"?  How is that better than getting injured in meaningful play? Is he really hedging against a major injury (as opposed to just a sprain)?

I think the NBA has to do something about this.  The fans are being cheated and the league is being hurt when teams deliberately play non-competitive ball just because "there's nothing in it for them to compete".  I can see it, somewhat, with the Spurs.  They are older and Pop is only sitting Duncan and others for a game or two.  Sean Marks is benching their top players for 6 games, and it isn't to save them for the playoffs and the greater glory of the team and the league. He's benching them just in case they blow out a knee, like that is a high probability.

This is even worse than what Sam Hinkie did with the Sixers, except he did it for years.  Hinkie wanted to lose to gain high draft picks.  New Nets GM Marks wants to lose in order to gain nothing.

From our perspective, my only beef is that I wish he had done it 5-10 games ago.  More good news is that maybe he will be the GM for the next couple of years.  It can't hurt the value of our other two Net picks (we have the right to swap picks with them next year, 2017, and we own their 2018 pick outright) if this guy is running the show.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Nets shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young for rest of year Empty Re: Nets shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young for rest of year

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:46 pm

And New Orleans with all these guys resting or hurt blew out the Nets in Brooklyn today 106-87:

Ryan Anderson DNP - Coach's Decision
Norris Cole DNP - Coach's Decision
Alonzo Gee DNP - Coach's Decision
Jrue Holiday DNP - Coach's Decision
Anthony Davis DNP - Coach's Decision
Bryce Dejean-Jones DNP - Coach's Decision
Tyreke Evans DNP - Coach's Decision
Eric Gordon DNP - Coach's Decision

Now we just need Phoenix to win a game or two.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:36 pm

You can almost wonder if Ainge did something like promise the Nets a late second round pick to influence their decision on who not to play for the rest of the season.

Whatever their reason, I like it. Anything to possibly help their first round pick be better for us is just fine.
We may use it to pick some guy or use it to trade, but either way this draft pick should turn into a decent rotation player either for next year or in 2017-18 at the latest.

On another topic, Steve, how many players did NO have to play against the Nets if all those guys sat out?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:10 pm

steve3344 wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/nets-shut-brook-lopez-thaddeus-young-rest-year-article-1.2586922

Terrific.

Steve,

Terrific to be sure.

Maybe they can sit Robinson or Hollis-Jefferson too.

Love these guys. Always trying to help us out.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:28 pm

wideclyde wrote:You can almost wonder if Ainge did something like promise the Nets a late second round pick to influence their decision on who not to play for the rest of the season.

Whatever their reason, I like it.  Anything to possibly help their first round pick be better for us is just fine.
We may use it to pick some guy or use it to trade, but either way this draft pick should turn into a decent rotation player either for next year or in 2017-18 at the latest.

On another topic, Steve, how many players did NO have to play against the Nets if all those guys sat out?

Here's the box score. Not hard to find:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans-brooklyn-nets-2016040317/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:53 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/thon-maker-forgo-college-apply-213200528.html

Never heard of him, but 19 year old 7-0 Canadian power forward is skipping college basketball to enter draft. Article says he "profiles as a top-five pick."

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:32 am

I haven;t seen anyone say Maker was a top five pick in this year OR next years draft.
In fact I have seen him in the middle or late first in 2017 mocks.

looking at pictures and his size he reminds me of KG as a high schooler, I think that's probably where the comparisons end though.

but who knows, IF the NBA allows him to be drafted he'll be prodded and poked about by a lot of teams before draft day.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:54 am

kdp59 wrote:I haven;t seen anyone say Maker was a top five pick in this year OR next years draft.
In fact I have seen him in the middle or late first in 2017 mocks.

looking at pictures and his size he reminds me of KG as a high schooler, I think that's probably where the comparisons end though.

but who knows, IF the NBA allows him to be drafted he'll be prodded and poked about by a lot of teams before draft day.

If you recall we posted about Maker last year and then he seemed to fall off of the radar. And the KG comparison was also mentioned.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Works for me... in this case.. though I think it's a part a the wussefacation of peoplekind when they pull this kind of crap whoever u are... damn it if ur best 12 guys are healthy then play the s.o.b.'s...

But since we got their pick... go right ahead this time (and the next two years)..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:31 pm

People, we come to praise the Nets and not to bury them! Let Brooklyn dig their own graves. Please, let no one lodge a protest with Adam.

How wonderful a story, and how bizarre. Brooklyn, with no picks, is tanking for us! Prayers of all those Celtics fans who wanted us to tank last year are now being answered. Dick, is this one of your tricks from on high?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down