Draft Pick #23

4 posters

Go down

Draft Pick #23 Empty Draft Pick #23

Post by bobheckler Fri May 06, 2016 1:59 pm

This is our own pick.

21.  Taurean Prince - 6'7 3/4" (NOT 6'8"), 220# (NOT 217#), 6'11 1/2" wingspan, 8'6" (NOT 8'10 1/2") standing reach,  34 1/2" max vertical.  21 years old (22 in August)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Taurean-Prince-65231/

22.  Diamond Stone - 6'10 1/4" (NOT 7'0"), 255#, 7'2 3/4" (NOT 7'3 1/2") wingspan, 9'0 1/2" (NOT 9'1") standing reach.  19 years old.  12.9% body fat.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Diamond-Stone-7177/

23.  Ivic Zubac - 7'1", 265#.  19 years old (just turned).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ivica-Zubac-73314/

24.  Ante Zizic - 6'11", 240#.  19 years old.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ante-Zizic-68722/

25.  Stephen Zimmerman - 7'0", 235#, 7'3" wingspan, 9'1" standing reach.  19 years old (20 in September).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Stephen-Zimmerman-7099/

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Thu May 12, 2016 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Draft Pick #23 Empty Re: Draft Pick #23

Post by kdp59 Fri May 06, 2016 4:15 pm

on my current top 100 21-25 are:

21. Tyler Ulis
22. Zimmerman
23. Wade Baldwin
24. Damian Jones
25. Dejounte Murray

Prince is at #19 on mine
Stone at #26
Zubic at #28
Zizic at #34

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri May 06, 2016 8:44 pm

I like Stone here, if available, and would even take him at 16 if Valentine is gone.

Would also consider Damian Jones if Stone was gone.

In my Perfect Little Draft World Bubble, we go Hield with our #3 - #5 pick (Ingram if our lucky higher top pick turn finally arrives), Valentine #16 and Stone #23.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 06, 2016 8:58 pm

NYCelt wrote:I like Stone here, if available, and would even take him at 16 if Valentine is gone.

In my Perfect Little Draft World Bubble, we go Hield with our #3 - #5 pick (Ingram if our lucky higher top pick turn finally arrives), Valentine #16 and Stone #23.

NYCelt,

Why do you like Stone better than either Maker or Hammons, even at #23?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat May 07, 2016 12:28 am

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:I like Stone here, if available, and would even take him at 16 if Valentine is gone.

NYCelt,

Why do you like Stone better than either Maker or Hammons, even at #23?

Bob,

Stone is a big, nasty, bulldog in the paint.  Really an old school type of center who can also shoot, which has become a coveted talent for new-school bigs.  Great footwork, a nice long reach, and built solid.  The comparison I make every time I see him play is Kendrick Perkins, IF Perk had speed, agility and hands.  Watch him play and despite his center size, you think this is a shortstop with a basketball.  Diamond Stone is like some combo platter of old-school and new-school center.  Some draft reports I've seen underestimate his defensive skills, which I think would be a big step up for us.  I think he fits well with multiple schemes at both ends, and would be flexible enough to adapt to ongoing changes our roster is likely to see the next few seasons.

I'm one of those who doesn't agree that the draft is a crapshoot; at least not for teams with good scouting who use their heads and save their reach selections for the second round.  To me, Maker does define "crap-shoot."  Built slightly and inexperienced (no experience) against elite level NCAA players.  He put up decent numbers against prep school competition, but from what I've seen of the limited material available, didn't always put on an overwhelming display.  So at best, so far, he's a good prep level talent.  This is the kind of guy I would rather take if he's on the board in the second round.  Not a solid enough or experienced enough talent in a draft where we need to make the most of three first rounders.  One video mix of selected clips posted online goes viral and he's the next big thing.  I keep seeing comparisons of him to KG, but other than physical appearance and hitting the draft from high school, I don't see it.  Maker appears to need to add strength, it looks like when someone puts a body on him he's done.  KG was all lean muscle and strong for his weight when he hit the NBA from school.  I'd rather see Maker at least take on ACC, Big 10 or Big 12 level talent before risking a valuable pick.  Adding to my hesitant thinking, Maker, like another recent draft pick at center, was a soccer player until a short time ago, and is a shot blocker in a zone defense.

Hammond is a guy I might take before Maker, but there are a couple of things that make me hesitate on using a first round pick on him.  His offense improved last year, starting to get a bit of a jump-shot, but he's still pretty much under-the-basket bound on offense.  Footwork sometimes looks almost uncoordinated.  All the red warning flares about him being on task one game, and unfocused the next, and I saw a few where he was asleep, along with off-court problems, give me pause.  I think he'll drop into the 2nd.  Maybe then.  Maybe.

So on the quick, that's why I'd go Stone over the other two at #23.  My concern is that Stone will be gone well before that, which is why I'd take him as high as 16, if we couldn't get Valentine there.  My opinion is that Stone comes in and contributes at center right away, and keeps us from having to spend too big to get a Festus Ezeli (whom I like a lot, but will take a lot to get).  My observation has been he's still got upside; he appears coachable and developed well as a player this past year.  I'm not as certain about Hammons or Maker.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 12, 2016 7:05 pm

As a result of measurements draftexpress has dropped Diamond Stone out of the first round, down to #33. Zimmerman, although unmeasured, is down to #35.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu May 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Stone could wind up weighing 20 stone if he's not careful.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 pm

worcester wrote:Stone could wind up weighing 20 stone if he's not careful.

worcester,

Bloody right!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down