+3
arambone
wideclyde
steve3344
7 posters

Go down

Some pointed thoughts on Sullinger Empty Some pointed thoughts on Sullinger

Post by steve3344 Tue May 31, 2016 2:09 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/5/31/11817640/What-should-the-Celtics-do-with-Jared-Sullinger

Lots of good insights here. Keep him or let him go? Seeing who we get in the draft will go a long way toward answering that.

"Jared Sullinger is better than he gets credit for. But he should also be better than he actually is." Agree.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Some pointed thoughts on Sullinger Empty Re: Some pointed thoughts on Sullinger

Post by wideclyde Tue May 31, 2016 5:33 pm

steve,

That was a pretty good article. I read it this morning.

Sullinger is a difficult call because he does have some talents that the team needs, but he may also become too expensive to balance out his very shaky deficiencies. That said, a contract like Bradley has and I would have no trouble keeping him for two or even three years since if he stays healthy and plays both more and better he will be a bargain. And, if he falls apart with eating too much or is injured he will still be at least somewhat tradeable due to his low salary and short term contract.

I have to admit that I have been pretty disappointed with this guy especially regarding his care and concern for his bodily improvements. When he came into the league I really thought that he would have taken his physical development much more seriously. I know that I wrote on this forum that I thought that be even only his second year that he would have much more of a 'cut' look. Now he is finishing his fourth season and he is still not cut like most of the young NBA guys are. Even tall and skinny kid like Olynyk has developed more than Sullinger.

Yes, I know that he is (and probably always was) a "big boy", but I think with some professional attention to his body he should be cut by now. And, of course, being cut by now would have meant that his weight would no longer be an issue and neither would his game time cardio.

I was not necessarily disappointed with his back issues and the surgery that it required as I am sure that Ainge figured that the back would need assistance before too long after drafting him, but if the back surgery that cost him half of a season three years ago was weight related (which it could have been) that would not please me any too much.

But, as a professional athlete, it was very disappointing to see him only able to play at NBA game pace for about 18 minutes per game in his third season and then really only get his game pace conditioning to handle about 23 minutes this season even with 'all' the conditioning he did last summer with John Lucas and company. It was also disappointing to see him gain 25-30 pounds during this past season as well.

His weight could easily contribute to his injury situations as well in the coming year(s).

He should most likely not be a long term signing for anyone in the NBA, especially the Cs since they already know him, because it would seem like he could eat his way out of anyone's rotation at just about any time and then possibly eat his way out of the league no soon after.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue May 31, 2016 7:34 pm

A well-rounded article.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 31, 2016 8:08 pm

Sully played his way off the team with a pathetic playoff performance, time to cut ties, rather see Mickey and Jerebko and any newcomer get a shot. He had a great opportunity and its a cold world out there, any excuses don't cut it after 4 years....his performance spoke for itself.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 31, 2016 8:52 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Sully played his way off the team with a pathetic playoff performance, time to cut ties, rather see Mickey and Jerebko and any newcomer get a shot. He had a great opportunity and its a cold world out there, any excuses don't cut it after 4 years....his performance spoke for itself.

Cow,

If we can find some beef to replace him, I concur (hello AJ Hammons?). As you know I was a big drum-beater for him over his first 3 years. I loved talking about how he would "win the Mastodon Mamba" or "be the belle of the Dinosaur Dance" but now he's lost it. I know he has played out of position for the last 2 years but so has Kelly, neither of them are centers, but you have to bring something to the table anyway. In Sully's case, whatever was brought to the table, he ate it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:56 am

In Sully's case, whatever was brought to the table, he ate it.

Making me laugh again, Bob.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:26 am

I could see him returning for the right deal ( $8M or less).Depending on what else Danny can swing this off-season.

put a guy like Ibaka next to him and we may all think better of him....or not.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down