This mock draft has Celtics trading picks, players for Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol

+9
NYCelt
swish
bobheckler
wideclyde
dboss
Matty
tjmakz
kdp59
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This mock draft has Celtics trading picks, players for Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol Empty This mock draft has Celtics trading picks, players for Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol

Post by steve3344 Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:34 pm

http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2016/6/7/11865458/2016-nba-mock-draft-possible-trades-lottery-picks-

This mock draft has us getting both Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol for players and picks.  Looked promising until I saw what we were giving up.

For Butler:  Avery Bradley plus our #3 and #35 picks this year.  No thanks.  Butler is better but I woudn't trade him for Bradley who I like, PLUS picks 3 & 35.  No thanks.

For Marc Gasol:  Marcus Smart plus our #16 pick this year (so forget about Thon Maker or any other good frontcourt player in the draft) and Boston's first round pick in 2017 (probably around 20-25).  Gasol is already 31, missed 30 games to injury this year (and 23 to injury in 2014) and has not averaged more than 7.8 rebounds a game in his last four seasons.  Again, no thanks.

Thoughts?

steve3344

Back to top Go down

This mock draft has Celtics trading picks, players for Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol Empty Re: This mock draft has Celtics trading picks, players for Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol

Post by steve3344 Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:55 am

That mock also has Thon Maker going at #30 to Golden State. With us passing on him with our 23rd pick.

If that happens arambone will go to California and hurl himself off the Golden Gate bridge.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

This mock draft has Celtics trading picks, players for Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol Empty Re: This mock draft has Celtics trading picks, players for Jimmy Butler and Marc Gasol

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:08 am

Totally agree Steve on both calls, rather get a Jaylon Brown or Hield with #3, and keep AB. Smart and #16 for a 31 year old injury prone center....no way, I wouldn't trade Smart even up for Gasol, the 16th pick too, NO fockin way. Smart is gonna get better and better hes only 21, he and AB are a big part of our identity. Its harder to find 2 backcourt defensive forces like them than a good aging center. Besides the draft we could go after a Joakim Noah or Mozgov and not give up any of our young talent to get a 5.....now if they'll take Sully, KO and Young for Gasol....???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:10 am

steve3344 wrote:That mock also has Thon Maker going at #30 to Golden State.   With us passing on him with our 23rd pick.

If that happens arambone will go to California and hurl himself off the Golden Gate bridge.

how do you know he's not a Warriors fan?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:32 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
steve3344 wrote:That mock also has Thon Maker going at #30 to Golden State.   With us passing on him with our 23rd pick.

how do you know he's not a Warriors fan?

A Warriors fan who's written hundreds of posts making the case for the Celts to draft Thon Maker at 16? Ok...

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:49 am

I saw that last night, thanks for posting it. Kind of a wild trade free fro all mock to me.

the Butler trade is actually LESS than what I had thought it would take ( I would note the writer has just as much inside info as I do= NONE).

I have said it would take Bradley, #3 , #31 and maybe a 2018 first rounder to get Butler.

so , obviously I would do the deal they propose. I like Bradley, but fact is Butler is a better player at least IMO.

But IF I trade Bradley I am NOT Trading Smart also. SO the second trade doesn't work for me.

I know some here think than Maker will go in the lottery and it is possible, right now it looks like he's more of a late first rounder.

and he is still just a kid who's played against high school players to date. Even IF he's all that many think, he will need a couple years before he is much help to an NBA team, again IMO.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:14 am

Agree with kdp

First trade is right on target with what I think fair value for Butler is

Second trade I would really try not do if it includes Smart. Gasol is great but is also 30, coming off an injury and owed 93.5 million over the next 4 years. Only if Danny knows Durant would come if BOTH Butler and Gasol were here, in a way similar to knowing that KG would likely come if Ray were added, would you have to pull the trigger on that one. The Nets unprotected 2017 pick is also a huge blow. I'd want them to throw in Tony Allen as well to make up for losing both our guards. Put top 7 protection on the Nets pick (they get the 2018 pick top 3 protected if they don't get it in 2017) and give them back the 2018 pick they owe us along with getting TA and the deal comes closer to my liking. 

Also agree taking Jones over Maker at #23 is foolish when you just traded for Gasol.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:19 am

Now, if you could tweak the two deals to be more in our favor that would be cool:

- Pick #3, Rozier, Young, Amir, picks #35 and #58 and our own 2018 or 2019 1st rd pick (top 3 protected) for Jimmy Butler

- Bradley, Zeller, Pick #16, 45, the Nets 2017 pick (top 7 protected, becomes 2018 pick top 3 protected or C's own 2019 or 2020 and 2021 or 2022 picks unprotected) and Memphis gets their 2018 pick back for Gasol and Tony Allen

Head into free agency with:

C - Gasol

PF - Olynyk, Mickey

SF - Crowder

SG - Butler, Hunter, TA (Butler/TA can play some SF)

PG - Thomas, Smart

That looks enticing to Durant
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:29 am

The draft trades proposed in this story seem to be pretty realistic and fair.

Chicago will be in no hurry to trade Butler.
They will probably get many significant offers from other teams.
The #3 pick this year and other pieces without Bradley or Crowder, won't get it done.

Having a lot of draft picks is great, but teams know Danny can't nearly keep them all.
If Danny offered a load of picks last year to move up 7 spots, I wonder what he would offer for a young star in Butler who in his prime under a long term contract?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:37 am

tjmakz wrote:The draft trades proposed in this story seem to be pretty realistic and fair.

Chicago will be in no hurry to trade Butler.
They will probably get many significant offers from other teams.
The #3 pick this year and other pieces without Bradley or Crowder, won't get it done.

Having a lot of draft picks is great, but teams know Danny can't nearly keep them all.
If Danny offered a load of picks last year to move up 7 spots, I wonder what he would offer for a young star in Butler who in his prime under a long term contract?

all of em...if the Bulls would take that deal ( they won't).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm with you Steve and Cow, though I would give up our #16 pick for Gasol. Only the pick. No players, but that wouldn't work cap wise, would it?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:52 pm

tjmakz wrote:The draft trades proposed in this story seem to be pretty realistic and fair.

I disagree. Our 2017 first will belong to Brooklyn so making the gasol trade scenerio nothing more than a fart.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:59 pm

worcester wrote:I'm with you Steve and Cow, though I would give up our #16 pick for Gasol. Only the pick. No players, but that wouldn't work cap wise, would it?

One thing to remember, we will be entering f/a under the cap. Until we have enuff salary on the books to actually reach the cap matching salaries is a moot point.

For example, the cap will be about 92 million. If Danny denounces all our free agents we will have about 50 million or so to play with. That being the case Danny could trade a second rounder for carmella Anthony and his 20+ million dollar contract. We would still be under the cap and it wouldn't matter..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Matty wrote:

I disagree.  Our 2017 first will belong to Brooklyn so making the gasol trade scenerio nothing more than a fart.

True.
They won't  give up their own first-round draft pick next year but they can give up 2018 or another draft pick to compensate Memphis.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:19 am

When considering trades it should be considered based on a positional weakness or skill that requires a player upgrade.

In others words a team needs to upgrade position based on weaknesses and focus their activity specifically to target those weaknesses.  I am for making trades provided it addresses a weakness on the team

I tend to be more critical if a proposed trade does not address a real weakness on the team.  I think you have to begin with needs.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:51 am

Please not Carmello Anthony. Let him stay in NY where his wife is happy.

Certainly, do not trade any of the Nets picks for him. Too old, too injured, too disrupting, etc.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:03 pm

wideclyde wrote:Please not Carmello Anthony.  Let him stay in NY where his wife is happy.

Certainly, do not trade any of the Nets picks for him.  Too old, too injured, too disrupting, etc.

Hey it was just an example...!!! Lol

Also I only suggested in the example offering a second rounder..

I don't wanna see him in green either.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Matty wrote:
wideclyde wrote:Please not Carmello Anthony.  Let him stay in NY where his wife is happy.

Certainly, do not trade any of the Nets picks for him.  Too old, too injured, too disrupting, etc.

Hey it was just an example...!!!  Lol

Also I only suggested in the example offering a second rounder..  

I don't wanna see him in green either.

Matty,

You should know better than to speak the Devil's name, lest he suddenly appear...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:31 pm

this is a good thread to put first mock with trades out for ridicule .

Pick-Team--Pos-----Player--------Hgt----Wgt--Age--School
1----Phil----PF---Ben Simmons---6-10---240--19---LSU
2----LAL----SF--Brandon Ingram--6-9---196--19---Duke
3---Chic----PG---Kris Dunn--------6-4---205---22--Providence
Celtics trade #3, 31 and A. Bradley to the Bulls for J. Butler
4---Phoe----PF---Dragan Bender---7-1---216--18---Int
5---Minn----SG---Jamal Murray----6-5---201--19---Kentucky
6---NO------SF---Jaylen Brown----6-7---222---19---California
7----Den----SG---Buddy Hield-----6-4---214---22---Oklahoma
8----Sac-----PF---Marquese Chriss--6-9---225--19---washington
9----Tor-----PF----Deyonta Davis----6-9---230--19---Michigan St
10---Mil-----C-----Jakob Poeitl------7-0----235--20----Utah
11---Orl----PF----Skal Labissiere---7-0----216--20----Kentucky
12---Phil---SF----Denzel Valentine--6-6---223---22---Michigan St
Utah trades #12 to Philly for #16 ,& 24
13---Phoe--PF----Domantas Sabonis--6-10--231--20---Gonzaga
14---Chic---C-----Cheick Diallo-------6-9----220---19---Kansas
15---Den---PF----Henry Ellenson-----6-10---231--19---Marquette
16---Utah--SG---Furkan Korkmaz-----6-7---185---19---Int
Celtics trade #16 and J. Young to Philly for rights to D. Saric
17---Mem--PG----Wade Baldwin-------6-3---194---20---Vanderbilt
18---Det---PG----Dejounte Murrey----6-5----170---19---washington
19---Bos---SG----Malik Beasley-------6-4----185---19---Florida St
Den trades #19 to Boston for #23 ,45 & 51
20---Ind----PF----Brice Johnson-------6-9----230---21---N. Carolina
21---Atl----PG----Demetrius Jackson--6-1---194----21---Notre Dame
Note: Philly trades N. Noel to Atl for J. Teague
22---Char--SG----Malachi Richardson--6-6---205---20---Syracuse
23---Den---C------Ante Zizic-----------6-11---240---19---Int
24---Utah---SF---Taurean Prince------6-7----215---21----Baylor
25---LAC----C----Damian Jones-------6-10---248---20---Vanderbilt
26---Phil----SG---Timothe Luwawu----6-7----205---21----Int
27---Tor-----SF---DeAndre Bembry----6-6----210---21---St Josephs
28---Phoe---SG---Patrick McCaw------6-7----185---20----UNLV
29---SA------C-----Ivica Zubac--------7-0-----240---19----Int
30---GS-----PF-----Thon Maker--------7-0----218----19---None

Pick--Team--Pos-------Player----------Hgt---Wgt---Age----School
31---Chic----PF------Ben Bentil-------6-9----235---21---Providence
32---LAL-----C------Diamond Stone--6-10---250---19---Maryland
33---LAC-----PG------Tyler Ulis-------5-9----160---20---Kentucky
34---Phoe----C-------Zhou Qi---------7-2----209---20----Int
35---Bos------C----Chinanu Okuaku---6-10--245---19---Louisville

if that would happen I would sign P. Gasol ( 2yr. $20M per year) and resign Turner ( 3yr/ $10M first year).

roster:
Starters
Gasol
Amir
Crowder
Butler
Thomas

Rotation player (most minutes first)
Smart
Turner
Kelly O.
Jerebko
Rozier

Deep Bench ( youth)
Saric
Beasley
Hunter
Mickey
Okuoku

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:26 pm

For the most part I actually enjoy this time of year because its the the miracle season when hopes spring eternal and optimism runs wild. But I do get turned off by the constant barrage of speculation as to the relative talent of the expected draftees. I've tried to brush it aside as just fans having a little fun playing general manager - but day after day -  oh well - less than 2 weeks to go to find out what the general managers have on their minds.

swish

Last edited by swish on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:41 pm

WELL PUT SWISH! YOU ARE RIGHT...HOPES SPRING ETERNAL.....HEY COUPLE OF MORE MONTHS AND WE'LL BE TALKING TRAINING CAMP!

HOPE ALL IS WELL.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:28 am

well, I did ask for ridicule.

I never knew that mock drafting and off-season GM ideas was so off putting to some ( perhaps many).

I do them for fun in the off-season myself and find it enjoyable to think/work out possible options, especially during the off-season.

I certainly never meant to offend.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:10 am

kdp59 wrote:well, I did ask for ridicule.

I never knew that mock drafting and off-season GM ideas was so off putting to some ( perhaps many).

I do them for fun in the off-season myself and find it enjoyable to think/work out possible options, especially during the off-season.

kdp59

At my age I should have Known that I was going to offend someone by my comments. Shame on me. My opinion about draft guru's is not important and certainly is not aimed at those that treat it as a sort of an off season hobby - its when its offered as the gospel that I get a little annoyed. I apology to you kdp59.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:38 pm

kdp59 wrote:well, I did ask for ridicule.

kdp,

I sincerely apologize if anything I said in my earlier post came across as picking on you or anything you said.  My intention was to be critical of the general pile of made-up, complete wild guess information that comes out this time of year.  The stuff with no basis in fact that hasn't had any credible evidence, backing or legitimate team theory attributed to it.  I took your "ridicule" remark as meaning ridicule of the source you were writing about, not ridicule of you. I'll echo Swish's comments about it getting annoying when being offered up as gospel; he always says things more clearly than me!

I've gone back and deleted my original post in this thread to eliminate any possibility of confusion or thought I would be critical of your comments.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Ram, I for one find Dboss's posts to be quite interesting. In the future, please refrain from ad hominem attacks. Sure, dispute the opinions of others, but do not attack the poster.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next