+5
NYCelt
dboss
kdp59
Ram
tjmakz
9 posters

Go down

Sources: Celtics rebuffed in bid to swap No. 3 pick for established vet  Empty Sources: Celtics rebuffed in bid to swap No. 3 pick for established vet

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:53 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2016/story/_/id/16407161/boston-celtics-rebuffed-bid-swap-no-3-draft

Report: C’s stymied in attempt to deal No. 3 overall pick for established vet
06.22.16 at 9:37 am ET
By WEEI

The Celtics’ attempts to deal the No. 3 overall pick as part of a trade that would include bringing an established veteran to Boston has apparently been rebuffed, according to ESPN.

Per Marc Stein, the C’s have been offering the third pick in the draft to a variety of teams, with the Bulls (Jimmy Butler), Jazz (Gordon Hayward) and Bucks (Jabari Parker or Khris Middleton) being he four primary targets. But to this point in the process, no one has expressed an interest in making that deal with Boston.

According to the same story, the Sixers have been working on the C’s to agree to a deal that would see Boston give up the No. 3 pick in a trade that would have Jahlil Okafor or Nerlens Noel come to the Celtics. For more Celtics news, check out weei.com/celtics.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Sources: Celtics rebuffed in bid to swap No. 3 pick for established vet  Empty Re: Sources: Celtics rebuffed in bid to swap No. 3 pick for established vet

Post by Ram Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:10 am

That sucks
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Sources: Celtics rebuffed in bid to swap No. 3 pick for established vet  Empty Re: Sources: Celtics rebuffed in bid to swap No. 3 pick for established vet

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:58 am

you gotta have a dance partner, as they say.

Danny needs to play it smart here and not overpay for a lesser talent, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:41 am

This is good news.

Keep the pick, take the shot, turn on the light, the day is bright.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:43 am

kdp and dboss,

Agree and Agree; with both of you.

Disagree, with the draft analyst in the video who says the #3 will be a solid NBA player but not help the team much in the next two years. That is, at least, if it's a shooter we pick up. That could help big time, in a relatively short span.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 am

if this news is correct, the best deal I can come up with would be Noel and the rights to Saric for #3 and 31 picks.

Saric said before he was drafted that the Celtics was one of the few teams he would come over and play for immediately back then. There have also been rumors he will stay in Europe again rather than play with Philly.

Noel alone isn't worth the #3 pick and while I personally am not sold that any of the picks at 3-8 are much better players than Noel, we would control them on rookie deals for a while instead of Noels' one year left.

Saric might move the needle IF Danny/Brad like him I suppose.

If Danny can't find any trade partners he's going to have to draft a bunch of draft and stash types this year.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:47 am

kdp59 wrote:if this news is correct, the best deal I can come up with would be Noel and the rights to Saric for #3 and 31 picks.

Saric said before he was drafted that the Celtics was one of the few teams he would come over and play for immediately back then. There have also been rumors he will stay in Europe again rather than play with Philly.

Noel alone isn't worth the #3 pick and while I personally am not sold that any of the picks at 3-8 are much better players than Noel, we would control  them on rookie deals for a while instead of Noels' one year left.

If Danny can't find any trade partners he's going to have to draft a bunch of draft and stash types this year.

Philly won't give up Saric and Noel for those draft picks.

Saric might stay in Europe 1 more year because he will make millions more per year by doing so.
If Saric comes over this year, he will be paid based on the rookie salary scale.
If he comes over next year, he will no longer be under the rookie salary scale.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:50 am

dboss wrote:This is good news.

Dboss

I am not sure Boston feels it is good news.
If Boston was hoping for fireworks last year, I'm pretty sure they were really hoping for fireworks this year.
It still could happen for Boston.
I really don't think Boston envisioned starting the draft at 8PM tomorrow with 8 draft picks.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 am

I prefer to keep our #3 and then package a bunch of other picks to move that # 16 up to a higher spot. Build through the draft and then be patient.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:08 am

"It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi Berra

And in this case it is a never-ending roll forward.

When will you people learn that Danny never sleeps?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 am

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:This is good news.

Dboss

I am not sure Boston feels it is good news.
If Boston was hoping for fireworks last year, I'm pretty sure they were really hoping for fireworks this year.
It still could happen for Boston.
I really don't think Boston envisioned starting the draft at 8PM tomorrow with 8 draft picks.

TJ

There is no singular thought about this.

I would bet that if a poll was done for Celtics fans the majority would prefer to keep the pick. Of course I could be wrong but I think there is as much value in keeping the pick as it is in trading for a veteran.

The Celtics are still set up nicely to set off some fireworks. And I think that we need to understand that the structure of this team in terms of how they play and what they are able to accomplish is the most important element. It is not about us needing to add a veteran or a superstar. It is about moving the needle on a few specific key metrics. Like improving our shooting efficiency and becoming a better post defensive unit. Those variables can and will be impacted by adding and subtracting players.

I think we should not look at 2007-08 as a template for building a championship.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:37 am

I hope this is all Bluff...Bluff...Bluff and a deal can be had for a vet.  If not the Celtics are at a turning point regarding a direction as a team.  Do they let Sully and who ever walk and bring in a new crop of kids to groom and extend their rebuilding?

Do they draft Euro's and stash them in Europe for a year or two so they are not forced into putting them on the roster and having a very young/rookie weighted team/bench?

Or does Danny choke on all his picks and go down in flames by having to draft all his picks?

Is the answer to go back to Brooklyn and trade back some of their picks and get one of their more established players while helping Brooklyn jump start their draft depleted rebuilding?

Or do they trade their draft picks for future picks.....kind of like kicking the can down the road?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:12 am

kdp59 wrote:if this news is correct, the best deal I can come up with would be Noel and the rights to Saric for #3 and 31 picks.

Noel alone isn't worth the #3 pick and while I personally am not sold that any of the picks at 3-8 are much better players than Noel, we would control  them on rookie deals for a while instead of Noels' one year left.

Yeah I've said from day 1 that I don't like Okafor and Noel alone isn't worth pick #3, if only b/c he is already going to be a RFA next summer. But that Noel AND Saric would do it for me. Send them Young and Jerebko as well if they need a little more added in to make such a deal happen.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:46 am

just saw a story that the Suns had offered #4 and #13 to the Jazz for Hayward and were turned down.

if true, so much for all these draft picks being real assets.

Danny may end up being forced to sell or trade into the future on some of those second rounders.

also, apparently we Celtic fans have WAY TO HIGH a value on the players we have under contract now. Perhaps there really isn't much value to our "average" players.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:49 am

worcester wrote:I prefer to keep our #3 and then package a bunch of other picks to move that # 16 up to a higher spot. Build through the draft and then be patient.

Works for me.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:53 am

kdp59 wrote:just saw a story that the Suns had offered #4 and #13 to the Jazz for Hayward and were turned down.

if true, so much for all these draft picks being real assets.

Danny may end up being forced to sell or trade into the future on some of those second rounders.

also,  apparently we Celtic fans have WAY TO HIGH a value on the players we have under contract now. Perhaps there really isn't much value to our "average" players.

Hayward can opt out after this season (unlike say Butler or Middleton) and in order to stay in Utah would likely require that 5 year max deal in the 20-25 million per season range. 

He must have been told by the Jazz they will give him that and he must have told them that if they do he will sign it.

No way they turn down 4 and 13 if Hayward is not discussing his impending free agency with them behind closed doors or even worse, suggesting he wants to test the market and hear pitches from other teams. You know like the most decorated franchise in NBA history, the one with his college coach at the helm in a city that would love him and in the eastern conference where it should remain easier to win in over the next 2-3 years.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 am

Ram,

Hayward would be fine with me, but if that story is correct #3 and 16 won't touch him then. even IF he is a possible one year rental...wow.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Haywood is a very good offensive player.  Not great but damn good. he would be an excellent fit in the Celtics offense.

He however is pretty average defensively so therefore I am very happy that UTAH said NO. For big money a guy has to be great at something. No good but great and then if he is weak in a -particular area his other great skill probably balances things off.

For example Whiteside is a great rebounder and rim protector but he offense is pretty average. In his case the offense can be overlooked.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
Celts trying very hard to make major deals, apparently well prepared. Source says they have quick comebacks when different scenarios raised.
7:53 AM - 22 Jun 2016
 168 168 Retweets   166 166 likes

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
Celts trying very hard to make major deals, apparently well prepared. Source says they have quick comebacks when different scenarios raised.
7:53 AM - 22 Jun 2016
 168 168 Retweets   166 166 likes

bob

Ainge has quick comebacks when different scenarios raised. He must have a rapist's wit.

(that's another dumb and dumber quote I didn't get until I learned that "rapier wit" was a common phrase."

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down