Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension

+4
steve3344
kdp59
sinus007
KennCelt
8 posters

Go down

Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension Empty Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:18 pm

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/04/thunder-russell-westbrook-contract-no-extension

Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension

BY SI WIRE

Posted: Mon Jul. 4, 2016

With one year remaining on his contract, there is "no chance" Thunder star Russell Westbrook signs an extension, TNT’s David Aldridge reports.

“It just makes no sense financially” for Westbrook to renegotiate or extend his contract, Aldridge adds. By choosing to become a free agent in the summer of 2017, Westbrook can take advantage of the NBA’s salary cap increase and sign a contract worth more than he would be able to this summer.

Westbrook, 27, has spent his entire eight-year NBA career with the Thunder. He is a five-time All-Star and averaged 23.5 points, 10.4 assists and 7.8 rebounds per game last season.

The upcoming season will be Westbrook’s first without Kevin Durant, who announced Monday that he will sign with the Warriors. Westbrook won the NBA scoring title in 2014–15, when Durant missed most of the season due to injury.

bob
MY NOTE:  No surprise here.  The question is "does OKC have a legit chance of resigning him next year to a new max contract or is he gone?"  If the answer is that he's likely gone, and that's where my money would go, then he's trade bait.  Sam Presti would probably prefer to "pull a Hinkie" and do a power dive to the bottom this year than slow, lingering death and a mediocre draft pick in 2017. Unfortunately for OKC their trading partners would/could only be teams that Westbrook wants to go to anyway, so why would they give up much when they can get him next year for nothing extra, or teams that would take him and hope they can sell him on the team/city/etc and convince him to stay after this year.

Here's a question for you:  What would you give up to get Westbrook?  Would you insist upon him promising to re-sign first, or would you roll the dice?  What/who would you give up for him?  Russell Westbrook is one of, if not the, best point guards in the league and a free agent draw, but does he fit into Brad's system?

Either way, knowing Danny, he's on the phone trying to at least be a facilitator.  Remember, he got Tyler Zeller and Marcus Thornton and a Cleveland first round pick for facilitating the LeBron signing in Cleveland (and Mark Cuban just picked up Andrew Bogut for a 2nd round pick for facilitating GSW's signing of Durant).  Thornton and that Cleveland pick got rolled forward into IT.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension Empty Re: Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi,
I'd give '17 BKN's pick as long as Westbrook guarantees to stay.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension Empty Re: Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:05 pm

I commented on this in the "plan B" thread. Would not take the risk of trading for him unless he guarantees to re-sign. We should be in the conversation for top free agents again next summer, so why risk a major asset? Also not sure his ball-dominant style fits Brad'so vision.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by KennCelt Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:00 pm

I do not want Westbrook becoming a Celtic. He is not a we baller. He is an I baller. He is not Celtic material. There will be better choices later.

KennCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi,
Here is Chris Mannix take on the subject.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Westbrook is NOT a good 3 point shooter. But he does a lot of other things of course.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/shaughnessy-not-worth-giving-picks-one-year-westbrook

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 am

Westbrook ..a selfish baller....

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:00 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/green-warriors-team-spirit-key-210854477.html

Green: Warriors team spirit key to recruitment of Durant
Omnisport

July 4, 2016 5:08 PM


Green: Warriors team spirit key to recruitment of Durant

Report: ‘No chance’ Russell Westbrook signs contract extension 783ac04b05e40bd3af7e7bcc9c2a86f8
Draymond Green sold Kevin Durant on a switch because of the "fun" the Warriors have together.

Shockwaves reverberated around the NBA on Monday when Kevin Durant chose to leave the Oklahoma City Thunder for the Golden State Warriors — the team that came back to beat them in the Western Conference finals.

Though Durant's decision was ultimately his own, Draymond Green played a large role in convincing the seven-time All-Star to come to the Bay Area.

How did he do it? He just let Durant know he'd be a part of the group.

"I mean, I was really just telling him about the fun we have together - the fun that this team has and how he would be welcome here with open arms," Green told Sports Illustrated .

"And it's not about 'I' with us on this team. It's all about 'we' and winning championships. He fits that mould perfectly because that's who he is. It doesn't take him changing his whole game or changing his personality to come join us. He's just going to be Kevin."

Green understands the magnitude of the move and the affect it will have on the league because Durant is a special player moving to an already special team.

"I'm so excited," Green said. "I think this is definitely one of the biggest moves in NBA history. And I say that because I think [Kevin] is one of the best players in NBA history.

"I'm excited, and I'm excited for KD. He has put himself in the position where he's done everything he can do. He deserves the right to make his own decision and do what makes him happiest."

At the end of the day, Green is just happy he doesn't have to worry about guarding Durant in a deciding Game 7, at least for a while.

"Well, I'll have to guard him every day in practice," he laughed. "That's a little less intense than a game though.

"I'm definitely happy. He's one of the greatest scorers to play this game and it's good to play with him and not guard him. That makes my job easier."

bob
MY NOTE:  I think Sam would read this and remark on the importance of team chemistry.  I have a friend who is in my ear now telling me the Celtics should trade IT and whomever for Russell.  I think he'd kill us.  If he promises to sign an extension then fine.  Sign him up for 4 years, then trade him for another superstar.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:05 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heres-what-steph-curry-reportedly-told-kevin-durant-after-his-warriors-meeting/

Here's what Steph Curry reportedly told Kevin Durant after his Warriors meeting

Steph Curry helped convince Durant to come to Golden State with a series of texts
   Ananth Pandian
mugshot by Ananth Pandian
@ananth_pandian

Monday, Jul 04, 2016 • 1 min read

Due to Kevin Durant's decision to leave Oklahoma City, the rich get richer as the Warriors, who are the best regular season team of all-time, added another All-Star to their star-studded roster. What Durant's role on Golden State will actually be is still up in the air, but one thing is for sure, Stephen Curry has no problem sharing the face of the franchise tag with the Warriors' newest star.

Curry is the league's first unanimous MVP and is perhaps the most popular player in the league. Yet Curry reportedly told Durant that he is more than happy to put that all aside for the All-Star forward to come to Golden State.

From ESPN's Marc Spears:
Even so, Curry apparently felt it necessary to send Durant a message hours after the meeting Friday night to reassure him about his commitment to "Strength In Numbers" and unselfishness.

According to a person who saw the text messages, Curry told Durant in a text message that he could care less about who is the face of the franchise, who gets the most recognition or who sells the most shoes (Curry is with Under Armour, Durant with Nike). The two-time NBA MVP also told Durant that if Durant won the MVP award again he would be in the front row of the press conference clapping for him. In closing, Curry's message to Durant was that all he truly cared about was winning championships and he'd like to do that as his teammate.

One reason for Curry's popularity is his humbleness, which is in full display in his reported texts with Durant. It helps shed light on why Durant decided to leave the community and stardom he created in Oklahoma City for Golden State. When the league's biggest star is literally telling you I don't care if I am the star anymore, how can you say no?

The Warriors have always been an unselfish team on the court and now thanks to Curry's selflessness, Golden State has added one of the top players in the NBA in Durant. It may seem unfair yet the Warriors literally presented Durant with a genuine offer he couldn't refuse and now Golden State looks poised to be a dynastic team.

bob
MY NOTE:  Admit it, doesn't this sound like something Bill Russell or Tommy or Cooz or any of those players would say?  I have a friend who is an interior decorator and she has done two of Steph and Ayesha Curry's houses.  She knows them and says they are two of the most normal, non-ego driven people she knows.  QUITE refreshing considering what most athletes have become.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:52 am

All he wants to do is win championships? I mean I agree that it is the most important thing but something that also resonates with me is something Barkley said when LeBron joined Miami. It would never happen back in the day because you want to beat these guys. At some point you are not winning championships anymore you are just stacking the team and although winning a championship is great it is even better to do it as part of a team and project (growing together, good drafting, good coaching) as opposed to just getting a bunch of good players and putting them on a team.

There is a certain bit of jealousy ofcourse about them getting Durant, the best player in FA and I dont blame GSW for doing it when possible, but it is also kind of weak both from Durants and GSWs side.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:31 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:All he wants to do is win championships? I mean I agree that it is the most important thing but something that also resonates with me is something Barkley said when LeBron joined Miami. It would never happen back in the day because you want to beat these guys. At some point you are not winning championships anymore you are just stacking the team and although winning a championship is great it is even better to do it as part of a team and project (growing together, good drafting, good coaching) as opposed to just getting a bunch of good players and putting them on a team.

There is a certain bit of jealousy ofcourse about them getting Durant, the best player in FA and I dont blame GSW for doing it when possible, but it is also kind of weak both from Durants and GSWs side.

I think there is also the idea that there is meaning to struggling to beat a worthy opponent. The Pistons had to get past the Celtics, the Bulls had to get past the Pistons. Larry and Magic were near equals, as were the teams they led. Hence, winning a chamionship was not a given, and it could have gone either way. Getting past that hated but respected enemy is more meaningful than romping through the league. It requires will, determination, and guts in addition to physical skill. The boxing matches we remember are the hard fought ones that go the distance (or close to it...), where the outcome is not known until the end.

For the GSW team, if they crush everyone as predicted, the champship might be remembered from a statisical perspective (most wins, biggest win margin, etc, etc), but not from a human drama perspective. If they should lose - oh boy. That would be hard to live down. They will replace the 2004 Lakers as the cautionary tale regarding winning championships in the offseason vs winning them on the court. They will be remembered as a Goliath in the truest sense of the story (if Cleveland should beat them again, then I guess Lebron would be David, imagine that...). Coupled with this year's loss, a loss next year with this roster would make the Warriors remembered for all the wrong reasons.  I'm already starting to root against them....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down