NYCelt
wideclyde
bobheckler
kdp59
9 posters

Go down

Blake Griffin Empty Blake Griffin

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:54 am

Boston sports news reporting that the Celtics are still hot to trade for Blake Griffin, three way deal involving Sacromento. Rudy Gay to Clips, Jae Crowder plus picks to Sacto, Griffin to Boston. Does not sound like an even up trade to me. Would be surprised if Doc pulls the trigger on this, Gay is not enough for him.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Blake Griffin Empty Re: Blake Griffin

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:20 am

Griffin would scare me a bit, due his game still being about his athletic ability's primarily along with his advancing age. Typically NOT a good combo.

I would note that in recent years Blake's game has evolved into other aspects however.

How does he pair with Horford?

who plays SF for us then?

inquiring minds want to know....LOL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:24 am

Rosalie,

This trade sound like pure nonsense to me.

1.  If Doc wasn't going to break up his "Big 3" for Durant, do these morons think he'd do it for Rudy Gay?  Everybody except GSW and maybe Cleveland want more shooters but they are out there to be had without giving up a starter.  And who would start for Doc?  Redick or Gay?

2.  Sacto would think they died and went to heaven to get Jae Crowder plus picks for a guy who has said he wants a trade.  Jae has a very team friendly $6.3M/year contract.  Gay makes $13.3M.  So they get $7M/year worth of salary relief.

3.  I don't know which picks would go with Crowder but if we're getting Griffin they'd be some of the more valuable ones and it seems to me they'd go to LAC, not Sacto.

4.  Lastly, the ESPN Trade Machine says this trade fails.  It fails because we are adding Griffin's $20M salary while only giving up Crowder's $6M contract.  This was possible before we picked up Amir and Jonas' contracts.  That why Danny had them on hold, so that he could maintain the salary cap room to sign Durant.  He no longer has that room to move.

This reminds me of all those NY sports writer fantasy trades where they had Rondo going to the Knicks for spare parts.  This trade is lopsided, the numbers don't work and if anybody is not going to be taken by Danny it's Doc.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:02 am

I am going to forget what Sacremento and/or the LA Clippers get out of the trade because, although I know that every team in a trade has to be satisfied to agree to a trade, I really only care about the Cs.

Griffin is a fading star, in my opinion. His body is already starting to break down, his $20 M salary is only for one more year and he will not be worth a max salary one year from now if he is not worth one right now, I would always have to worry about the welfare of our equipment managers and trainers with Griffin on board, but mostly Crowder IS the glue of our team.

Yes, Stevens and Ainge were building the core and the desired mental components to our team before Jae Crowder arrived from Dallas as the anti-Rondo, but no one can even think of debating that this young, former Maverick bench warmer accelerated the culture of our team by about 100 shortly after arriving.

Yes, his play has been pretty darned good and he will continue to improve and improve because he is a dogged worker who is highly self and team motivated, but may never achieve "star" status until someone can figure a way to measure his non statistical contributions along with his points, rebounds, assists, etc.

Every good team ABSOLUTELY needs a guy like Jae Crowder! He has been a huge part of the re-build's success in adding 23 wins to our regular season record in just a year and half since arriving in Boston. We have him, and I am not giving him up if I am Ainge or Stevens.

I would not even think of trading Crowder for Griffin straight up never mind tossing in even one second round pick of the future and certainly not to add in any type of first round pick. Sorry, but if Crowder has to go in a trade it needs to be for someone like a Steph Curry level/quality player.

Crowder in totally invaluable to the CELTICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:29 am

No team in the NBA has management that would be that foolish. Not even Philly.

No way the Clips give up Griffin for any of this. It would take more; a LOT more.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 am

I still think something will happen with Philadelphia, but, which guard are we going to give up to make it work??? Because, that is what they will be looking for. I am not a Blake Griffin fan, I hope this rumor is just that, rumor.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:16 am

I don't know if this is just a rehash of the old rumors, but it is from CSN, so it's probably better sourced than the usual crap...

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-celtics-targeting-blake-griffin-major-deal-coming-soon

REPORT: CELTICS TARGETING BLAKE GRIFFIN, ‘MAJOR DEAL’ COMING SOON

By CSN REPORT

July 14, 2016 10:20 AM

A day after speculation over a Russell Westbrook-to-the-Celtics deal ran rampant, comes a report that the Celtics likely trade target is again Clippers forward Blake Griffin and that a “major deal involving Boston is coming soon.”

Sean Deveney of The Sporting News, citing “front-office sources,” reports a possibility of a three-team package with the Sacramento Kings that includes sending Rudy Gay to the Clippers.

More from Deveney’s report:

The Celtics would give up some number of their upcoming draft picks, but opposing front-office members say they don't want to give up either Brooklyn pick Boston can own in the next two years.

On Westbrook, Deveney reports that "Westbrook’s representatives have been given no word of a potential deal."

Griffin-to-the-Celtics rumors surfaced earlier this week. Click here for more on them.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:01 pm

wideclyde wrote:I am going to forget what Sacremento and/or the LA Clippers get out of the trade because, although I know that every team in a trade has to be satisfied to agree to a trade, I really only care about the Cs.

Griffin is a fading star, in my opinion.  His body is already starting to break down, his $20 M salary is only for one more year and he will not be worth a max salary one year from now if he is not worth one right now, I would always have to worry about the welfare of our equipment managers and trainers with Griffin on board, but mostly Crowder IS the glue of our team.

Yes, Stevens and Ainge were building the core and the desired mental components to our team before Jae Crowder arrived from Dallas as the anti-Rondo, but no one can even think of debating that this young, former Maverick bench warmer accelerated the culture of our team by about 100 shortly after arriving.

Yes, his play has been pretty darned good and he will continue to improve and improve because he is a dogged worker who is highly self and team motivated, but may never achieve "star" status until someone can figure a way to measure his non statistical contributions along with his points, rebounds, assists, etc.

Every good team ABSOLUTELY needs a guy like Jae Crowder!  He has been a huge part of the re-build's success in adding 23 wins to our regular season record in just a year and half since arriving in Boston. We have him, and I am not giving him up if I am Ainge or Stevens.

I would not even think of trading Crowder for Griffin straight up never mind tossing in even one second round pick of the future and certainly not to add in any type of first round pick.  Sorry, but if Crowder has to go in a trade it needs to be for someone like a Steph Curry level/quality player.

Crowder in totally invaluable to the CELTICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My name is GetYourSoxOn and I approve this message.

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:07 pm

The report on FB has a pic of Griffin wearing a certain #34. Lot's of uproar about that but they have to understand, its just a rumour
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Brian Robb
@CelticsHub about 1 hour ago
Here's something most are forgetting: Celtics really need a rebounder with Sully gone. Blake Griffin would address that issue immediately.

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:17 pm

The Clippers are also in win now mode, probably more than the Celtics are.
I can't see them trading Griffin unless it's for established talent.
Questionable draft picks over the next couple of years won't work for the Clippers.
How much established talent is Boston willing to part with to get him is the big question.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:27 pm

The only way they make a trade is if there is a pot at the end of the rainbow. I see them keeping this team together one more year, if healthy, they could make a good run. If not, they will lose Paul probably to free agency and Grifftin, if they struggle could go by February. I just do not see it happening now. The Celtics do not have enough to make Doc drool and jump at a trade.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:The only way they make a trade is if there is a pot at the end of the rainbow.  I see them keeping this team together one more year, if healthy, they could make a good run. If not, they will lose Paul probably to free agency and Grifftin, if they struggle could go by February. I just do not see it happening now. The Celtics do not have enough to make Doc drool and jump at a trade.

I agree.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports  16m16 minutes ago Los Angeles, CA
Also in regards to Blake Griffin-Celtics stuff, high-level source says "there's no truth to any of it."
71 retweets 54 likes
Reply   Retweet  71  
Like 54  
More

bob
MY NOTE:  He was reporting that the Clips have agreed in principle on a deal with Raymond Felton.  That's why this was phrased as "Also".  So, I presume it was Clips mgt (Doc?) saying this.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 pm

http://nesn.com/2016/07/nba-trade-rumors-celtics-brooklyn-picks-a-hang-up-in-blake-griffin-deal/

NBA Trade Rumors: Celtics’ Brooklyn Picks A Hang-Up In Blake Griffin Deal?

by Darren Hartwell

on Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:43AM

The NBA offseason is far from over, and the Boston Celtics are right in the thick of things.

The Celtics, who lost out to the Golden State Warriors in the Kevin Durant sweepstakes, reportedly have their eyes on some premier trade targets, most notably Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook and, per the latest reports, Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin.

Sporting News’ Sean Deveney added to the Griffin rumors Thursday, reporting via league sources that Griffin, not Westbrook, now is Boston’s likely trade target, and that “a major deal” involving the club is “coming soon.”

The trade for Griffin reportedly would be a three-team deal involving the Sacramento Kings sending Rudy Gay to the Clippers, but there could be a hang-up on the Celtics’ end.

“The Celtics would give up some number of their upcoming draft picks,” Deveney writes, “but opposing front-office members say they don’t want to give up either Brooklyn pick Boston can own in the next two years.”

The Celtics own the rights to the Brooklyn Nets’ first-round picks in both the 2017 and 2018 NBA Drafts, and given the current state of the Nets, both could be high lottery selections. The 2017 draft also is expected to be one of the strongest in recent memory, which could explain president of basketball operations Danny Ainge’s reported hesitation to part with two of his most prized assets.

That said, the C’s are in a great position to succeed after acquiring Al Horford in free agency, and adding a player like Griffin or Westbrook could make them legitimate title contenders. Deveney threw a bit of cold water on the Westbrook rumors, however, reporting that the All-Star guard’s representatives “have been given no word of a potential deal” and that a deal is “unlikely.”

Ainge and Co. clearly have some decisions to make going forward, but it appears the Celtics will be the team to watch as trade season heats up.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:19 am

Clippers roster, and salaries, so far:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/LAC.html

Salary
Player Age 2016-17 2017-18 2018-19 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22 Signed Using Guaranteed
Chris Paul 31 $22,868,828 $24,268,960 Bird Rights $22,868,828
DeAndre Jordan 27 $21,500,000 $22,500,000 $24,000,000 Bird Rights $44,000,000
Blake Griffin 27 $20,140,838 $21,373,950 Bird Rights $41,514,788
Austin Rivers 23 $11,000,000 $11,825,000 $12,650,000 Cap Space $22,825,000
J.J. Redick 32 $7,150,500 Bird Rights $7,150,500
Wesley Johnson 29 $5,628,000 $5,881,260 $6,134,000 Cap Space $11,509,260
Paul Pierce 38 $3,500,000 $3,700,000 Mini MLE $7,200,000
Luc Mbah a Moute 29 $2,203,000 $2,302,135 Bi-annual Exception $2,203,000
C.J. Wilcox 25 $1,209,680 $2,183,328 1st Round Pick $1,209,680
Branden Dawson 23 $874,636 Minimum Salary
Carlos Delfino 33 $650,000 $650,000 $650,000 $1,950,000
Miroslav Raduljica 28 $300,000 $300,000 $300,000 $900,000
Team Totals $97,025,482 $94,984,633 $43,734,000 $163,331,056

Marreese Speights signed for the veteran's minimum.  For a guy with 8 years that's $1.4M.
Austin Rivers contract has a cap hit of $10.8M.
Jamal Crawford got re-signed and has a cap hit of $13.3M
Diamond Stone got a 2 year deal with the first year guaranteed.  $543K.
Wesley Johnson re-signed for $5.6M, multiyear.
Mbah a Moute was $2.2M.

Add it all up, plus the players that are on the books but not playing because they were waived with stretch provisions (Delfino and Raduljica) and you've got a 2016-2017 salary of $97M this year and $94M next year.

The $94M salary assumes that CP3 and Griffin, with player options in a year, exercise their options.  The salary cap will still be going up then.  They will probably both be max players, or close to it (barring loss of athleticism by then 32-year old Paul or Griffin because of his leg) which means that the Clips' salary will be well north of $94M.  That puts Doc into a strategic bind.

My point?  Suppose, just suppose, that the player Doc wants to move isn't Griffin, but Redick?  Redick is in his last contract year.  He is absurdly cheap at $7.4M but is 32 years old.  Doc just re-signed his son Austin to a big contract.  There's Doc's back court shooter.  We need a shooter and Redick is a career 41% 3pt shooter who shot an absolutely sick 47.5% from 3 just last year.  Between his age, the short-term rental nature of his contract and that he has never been an All-Star (so he lacks that imprimatur) he won't be expensive for Danny.  CERTAINLY not worth a Brooklyn pick or even close.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:28 am

Before any discussions could take place with the Clippers Doc is going to want that 1st round pick back, lol

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:35 pm

Reddick could be worth giving the Clippers their draft pick back especially when that pick is never likely to fall into the lottery with Paul and company still there and Reddick only has the one year left on his contract.

Wonder what else would have to be moved with the Clip's draft pick to get Reddick? Certainly not going to give up any Nets picks for Reddick. However, might I offer James Young up as part of such a trade?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:48 pm

How much did Reddick sign for? I know it is going to be tough to get him from Doc because Doc coveted him for a few years and was extremely happy when he could finally get him for the Clippers since he was not able to get him to come here.

This is a trade I will be shocked if Doc does, but, it could be he may be forced into doing it. He may have the title but that owner is determined to try and get a winner out there.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down