With Al Horford, Boston Celtics aiming for Eastern Conference Finals, still 'a few pieces away,' says Jae Crowder

Go down

With Al Horford, Boston Celtics aiming for Eastern Conference Finals, still 'a few pieces away,' says Jae Crowder Empty With Al Horford, Boston Celtics aiming for Eastern Conference Finals, still 'a few pieces away,' says Jae Crowder

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:49 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/07/jae_crowder_with_al_horford_bo.html

With Al Horford, Boston Celtics aiming for Eastern Conference Finals, still 'a few pieces away,' says Jae Crowder

With Al Horford, Boston Celtics aiming for Eastern Conference Finals, still 'a few pieces away,' says Jae Crowder 20783826-mmmain
Boston Celtics forward Jae Crowder says the team is still "missing a few pieces." (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

on July 21, 2016 at 5:08 PM, updated July 21, 2016 at 5:10 PM

SPRINGFIELD — Jae Crowder knows the Boston Celtics — with newly acquired big man Al Horford in tow — are going to be much better next season, and he knows that the Cleveland Cavaliers are the biggest obstacle that stands in the team's path to through the playoffs.

He also knows that, as currently constructed, the Celtics might not quite be where they want to be yet.

"I still do think we are missing a few pieces, I'm not going to lie to you," Crowder said on Thursday, before his appearance at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's 60 Days of Summer. "I know we can win games. I'm just trying to advance, advance, advance. Looking at how the playoffs played out the last two years, I feel like we have a good chance."

Crowder knows what the Celtics need — he was, after all, one of the players chosen by Danny Ainge to help with free-agent recruiting pitches this summer. From Ainge, that was a vote of confidence — the players who were asked to help were players likely to be in Boston long-term.

"Obviously, that's a big step," Crowder said. "I can't say no to that. I took it in. I was very humbled and grateful for the opportunity to show that I'm a big part of the puzzle."

Plugged in next to players like Crowder, Isaiah Thomas and Avery Bradley, Horford's game made a lot of sense, which was why — after meeting with him — Crowder was confident (much more confident, he said, than he was after the team's meeting with Durant, although the Celtics "did have a chance").

"I told him personally: 'I want to play with you. It's not a coincidence that everywhere you go, you win,'" Crowder said. "I told him, 'You're a winner. That's what Boston's all about — winning. You'll fit right in.'"

It has been well-documented how Horford's ball-movement, basketball IQ and ability to stretch the floor will help in Brad Stevens' motion-heavy, dribble-handoff offense. Crowder pointed to Horford's defensive IQ as an added bonus.

"He's a perfect fit," Crowder said. "That's what we were telling him. He had Washington and some other teams looking at him, but we beat them four times this year. You don't want to go there. We play through our bigs, and a lot of teams don't play through their bigs — they post them up and give them the ball. Our bigs, like he did in Atlanta, he makes the play. We were explaining our basketball terminology to him, and how ours will fit right in with (his) game. It's going to mesh. Most guys have to blend in and fit in, but it's going to be automatically just there. The style he plays, that's what we reiterated to him: The way we play fits you so well. We need you. You need us. Let's make it happen."

The Celtics made it happen, and in the process, they turned themselves into one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.

"My guys were telling me that Bleacher Report says we'll win 59 games," Crowder said. "That's a lot of wins, but I want to get past the first round of the playoffs. Two seasons in a row getting swept" (Note: The Celtics lost in six games this past year) "that's my goal to be honest with you. I think our ceiling is the Eastern Conference Finals. Toronto is not a team we're worried about. I think Cleveland is the top team. That's what it comes down to."

With high win projections, All-Stars in Isaiah Thomas as well as Horford, All-Defensive First Teamer Avery Bradley, as well as Crowder, the team suddenly has something completely new after the past few seasons — expectations.

"It's a weird year. Every year, I went into the year thinking I have to prove everyone wrong personally, but as a team, I think we are starting to build expectations," Crowder said. "It wasn't like that a year or two ago when I first got here. It's a little pressure, but that makes you get up and go to work, and lock in a little more. I like it. It's what Boston is known for. It's what they deserve after the drop off after the last big three left. The city, the town, the organization, the players just want to win."

Some odds and ends from Crowder's interview.

On Jaylen Brown: "I was talking to Terry (Rozier) about 'What do you see playing with him?' Terry was like 'He's great, he just has to slow down.' That just comes with time. He's a young kid, he has a great body, a great motor. I'm going to do what I have to do to help as much as possible and be a leader. He'll fit in hopefully as soon as possible."

On Terry Rozier: "I knew what type of player Terry is. I knew he was capable of (his Summer League performance). A lot of people didn't think he was a good draft pick and whatnot, but I knew he's a great player, and he's worked really hard. It showed."

On his ankle injury last season: "I thought it was getting better, and then come like the few games before the playoffs, I didn't feel like I was right. I knew I wasn't right. I should have taken more time off than I did, but that comes with being a competitor. I don't like to take games off, so I just want to prevent those things. My weight lifting is all prevention. I'm not trying to get stronger. I'm strong enough. I'm just trying to sustain a great year like I had the whole year through."

bob
MY NOTE:  Regarding us being a few pieces away, Danny knows that, has said "he doesn't think we are done yet" and he never sleeps.  As far as his ankle injury goes,

Chris Forsberg
@ESPNForsberg yesterday
How bad was Jae Crowder’s ankle in the postseason? He said that soreness didn’t dissipate until two weeks ago — or two months after season.

Reply Retweet Like

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down