What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals

+10
gyso
sinus007
bobc33
worcester
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
dboss
wideclyde
kdp59
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals Empty What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:02 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/09/12/what-gordon-haywards-possible-return-means-for-the-boston-celtics-in-eastern-conference-finals/#6312da4638bf

What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals

Chris Grenham
Contributor
SportsMoney

What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals 960x0
LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLORIDA - AUGUST 11: Gordon Hayward #20 of the Boston Celtics shoots the ball ... [+] GETTY IMAGES

The Boston Celtics are heading to the Eastern Conference Finals following Friday’s Game 7 victory over the Toronto Raptors. After a back-and-forth second-round series, Brad Stevens and Co. now stare down a matchup with the Miami Heat, and reinforcements could be on their way.

Gordon Hayward returned to the bubble earlier this week after suffering a Grade 3 ankle sprain in round one against the Philadelphia 76ers. The forward cleared quarantine Friday afternoon, which allowed him to get shots up with the Celtics staff prior to the tip-off of Game 7. Stevens was asked about Hayward’s status following the team’s series-clinching win.

“I think he’ll be back at some point in that series (vs. Miami),” Stevens said. “But I don’t know when.”

TNT’s Rebecca Harlow reported during Friday’s broadcast that she spoke to a member of the Celtics organization who said they were happy with Hayward’s progress. That source told her they expect Hayward back “sooner rather than later.”

Yes, Boston’s bench came up big on countless occasions throughout the Eastern Conference semifinal matchup with Toronto, but Hayward’s presence would have been a huge addition thanks to his playmaking, shooting and versatility on both ends. His shot-making alone would have been a huge issue for Toronto’s zone defense, something the Heat likely will throw at Boston on occasion next round.

Hayward has faced the Heat just twice this season, with the first matchup coming on Jan. 28. On that night in Miami, he went for a game-high 29 points and nine rebounds on 10-of-14 shooting with a game-high net rating of 15.8. On Aug. 4, Hayward scored 15 points in a Miami win, Boston’s second loss of the bubble’s seeding-game schedule.

It’s not breaking news that Hayward’s talent brings the Celtics’ depth to another level, and they’ll need all the help they can get against a confident Miami team that’s firing on all cylinders coming off a commanding 4-1 series win over the No. 1 seed Milwaukee Bucks. Hayward is another offensive weapon for opponents to worry about while helping Boston minimize the minutes of non-shooters off the bench, who Miami would potentially sag off of on defense.

The Heat are a tough matchup, but their defense isn’t to the level of Toronto’s. If Boston can re-acquire Hayward’s shooting and prowess in the midrange, it could stifle some of Miami’s defensive efforts, particularly those zone sets.

Defensively, Hayward’s size would be a massive addition to help contain the Heat along the perimeter. His length and versatility causes headaches for opponents trying to determine the best point of attack, and attempting to contain Jimmy Butler becomes a bit easier if you have Hayward to rely on behind you. Stevens’ defensive system generally relies heavily on switches, and having Hayward in the fold makes that a whole lot easier against a team like the Heat.

In Boston’s seeding-game loss to Miami, Hayward guarded four separate Heat players for two or more minutes (Andre Iguodala, Duncan Robinson, Kendrick Nunn and Jae Crowder). In 35.9 possessions against that group, he allowed just eight points, per the NBA’s tracking data. That is a prime example of the versatility Hayward brings against an opponent like Miami. Iguodala and Crowder are two big, strong wings. Robinson, on the other hand, is a sharpshooter, while Nunn is a quick, shifty point guard. There aren’t many players Hayward’s size that can defend up and down a lineup like that without skipping a beat.

In Boston’s win over Miami on Jan. 28, Hayward logged 12.1 partial possessions against Butler, per NBA stats, allowing only two points in roughly three minutes of matchup time. All of the aforementioned versatility he showed against Miami in the regular season would be a huge boost for the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. Mixing and matching lineups will make it tougher for Boston to find a rhythm, but the addition of Hayward would assist in curbing that struggle.

On a very straightforward note, the Celtics are coming off a long, grueling seven-game series, while Miami has been awaiting its opponent for three days. When it comes to the bubble’s postseason schedule, an extra three days of rest is a lifetime. If Hayward can help give Boston some fresh legs and take just a bit of weight off his teammates, it’ll go a long way.

Hayward’s initial injury timeline was 4-6 weeks, and Sunday will be four weeks to the day. Time will tell if Hayward’s official return to the court falls within that fourth week, but optimism seems to be increasing around the organization. Keep in mind Hayward’s wife, Robyn, is pregnant with the couple’s fourth child. She is due later in September and Hayward will be leaving the bubble whenever she ultimately goes into labor.

Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals is set for Tuesday night on ESPN. Tip-off will either be at 6:30 p.m. or 8:30 p.m. ET, depending on the remainder of the Western Conference semifinals.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals Empty Re: What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals

Post by kdp59 Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 pm

so, when he comes back will he finally take the Havlicek role off the bench?

has always made sense that he be the sixth man on this team to me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals Empty Re: What Gordon Hayward’s Impending Return Means For The Boston Celtics In Eastern Conference Finals

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:10 pm

During the game’s broadcast, TNT sideline reporter Rebecca Haarlow reported that a person within the Celtics organization told her Hayward is expected to return “sooner rather than later.” The team had initially ruled Hayward out for at least four weeks following his Grade III ankle sprain suffered in Game 1 of Boston’s first-round series against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Sept. 15 marks the end of the four-week timetable. Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals is scheduled to tip off that evening. Game 2 is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 17, with Game 3 to follow on Saturday, Sept. 19.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:28 pm

If Hayward comes back healthy enough to play like he usually does, he will be a nice addition to the second unit and take back some of the extra minutes the rest of the rotation has had to absorb.

But, I still like the Cs in this next series even if Hayward is not 100%.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Hayward's return will complete our triad of having the best wings in the NBA.  He is likely to be eased back into things.

The Celtics defense has been flat out tremendous.  The best during these playoffs while surrendering only 100 PPG even with the 125 points given up in out DOT loss.

Wyde

I too like us even without Hayward but having him really changes our chances of getting to the title round and winning the whole thing.  

Getting to this point without him is the big story.  

I sure hope he stays in the bubble.  The baby is due the end of September and I think he will play in game #2 on Thursday.  I think Boston knows more than they are saying.  Our MVP may end up being Robyn Hayward.  I asked my wife today what she would do and she told me she would want me to play.  

The life of an NBA player goes by in a flash.  Opportunities to win in the playoffs are not always a given.  Injuries and other unforeseen circumstances derail outcomes.  

I think the ideal mix would be to keep Marcus in the staring unit which will give our team the ability to set the defensive tone immediately.  

With GH coming off the bench we would have the best rotation guy of any team still in the playoffs.  

All of the options at both ends and matchup flexibility will come into play.

I can see a scenario where GH comes off the bench and comes in for Kemba Walker. In reality he can come in and 1-4 can go out.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:58 pm

When he was injured and returned home, I am wondering if he will now NOT leave the team again, even when she is about to deliver. The statement was made when she posted on Instagram "Saying goodbye again was so hard, but when he returns he will not be the only boy" Is that her way of saying he is in for the duration? If he leaves again, he will leave his team at a vital part of the playoffs, so maybe by allowing him the time home, they have decided that Gordon will stay in the bubble for the duration with his team

It should have been very obvious to him that his absence was a missing link to this team. They had come to rely on him as a steadying influence on the floor Alot of times he is the decoy player who ends up drawing a double team and leaving Kemba open on the floor. I think his presence on the floor would have relieved Kemba of the pressure he was under. Gordon is such a good player, there were so many rebounds I could see that he would have gotten if on the floor.

I know I said in the beginning that the decision for him to leave was the right one, and under other circumstances, it still would be, but since he missed 4 weeks of playing time with a team so involved in fighting for a championship run, it may be time to put the priorities in order, he is being paid alot of money to help them to the promised land. I hope he is here for the duration, but, will not be shocked one way or the other.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:10 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:When he was injured and returned home, I am wondering if he will now NOT leave the team again, even when she is about to deliver. The statement was made when she posted on Instagram "Saying goodbye again was so hard, but when he returns he will not be the only boy"   Is that her way of saying he is in for the duration?  If he leaves again, he will leave his team at a vital part of the playoffs, so maybe by allowing him the time home, they have decided that Gordon will stay in the bubble for the duration with his team

It should have been very obvious to him that his absence was a missing link to this team. They had come to rely on him as a steadying influence on the floor   Alot of times he is the decoy player who ends up drawing a double team and leaving Kemba open on the floor.  I think his presence on the floor would have relieved Kemba of the pressure he was under.  Gordon is such a good player, there were so many rebounds I could see that he would have gotten if on the floor.  

I know I said in the beginning that the decision for him to leave was the right one, and under other circumstances, it still would be, but since he missed 4 weeks of playing time with a team so involved in fighting for a championship run, it may be time to put the priorities in order, he is being paid alot of money to help them to the promised land.  I hope he is here for the duration, but, will not be shocked one way or the other.

Rosalie

Just like she did before GH signed with Boston she is telling us what is going to happen. He will stay with the team in the bubble. I think he will be back in the starting lineup but not right away.

Rosalie are you gonna zoom with us at 4
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:17 pm

OK I will be there
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:08 pm

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/09/boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-advances-to-very-light-drills-expected-to-return-at-some-point-in-eastern-conference-finals-vs-miami-heat.html

Boston Celtics wing Gordon Hayward is progressing towards a return to the floor. On Sunday, nearly a full month since suffering a Grade 3 right ankle sprain in the first game of the playoffs, Hayward was at Celtics practice.

“He did a couple of non-contact, very light drills," Brad Stevens said Sunday afternoon. "He’s out there doing individual work right now, but none of the stuff with any groups.”

Hayward has missed 10 playoff game since the injury, which happened on August 17. Tomorrow marks the four week mark since the injury, and the Celtics originally announced an approximately four week timeline for his return. Stevens said he expect Hayward back fairly soon.

“Since I’ve seen him last, it’s good progress," Stevens said. "I know he feels better. He’s worked hard to get to where he is and I think he’ll play at some point in this series. As far as predicting a timeline, I have no idea. But I feel like he’s made good progress and will play eventually.”

The timing of the injury was unfortunate for Hayward, who was playing some of his best basketball as a Celtic in the seeding games. He knew instantly that it wasn’t just a regular sprained ankle and that it would take him some time to come back.

“It’s definitely gutting,” Hayward said of the injury last month. “It sucks. There’s nothing else to say about that. So, it’s definitely frustrating. It doesn’t feel great at the moment. Just try to get better as soon as I can.”
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:09 pm

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
3 mins ago
Gordon Hayward didn’t go through the Celtics’ practice but went through hard workouts after practice.

“But there’s a big difference between doing that and officially getting into a game,” as Brad Stevens noted.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 am

It is time, now is the time, get on the floor with these guys and let's get this thing going. His presence is really missed on the floor. If they want to do anything in this series, he needs to be out there.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 am

Seeing how little Brad could come up with anything for maximizing our talent, Kemba needs him, he can’t handle the moment by himself without GH.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 am

If I were Danny I would be looking for Gordon to save Brad's job. Somehow Brad seems oblivious.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:41 pm

worcester wrote:If I were Danny I would be looking for Gordon to save Brad's job. Somehow Brad seems oblivious.

Surprising how clueless he has been

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Yes, sadly so.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Okay, one game, we lose, relying on our superstar to come up big. I will not panic, this too shall pass, but it is a dog fight there is no doubt about that. Easy for us to armchair quarterback, but we are not on the floor. Theis should never have fouled out, There were some foolish fouls, he has to be smarter playing elite teams.

So. one game in, who has changed their opinion of the outcome??? I will be interested to see your reaction and opinion
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:35 pm

When Gordon comes back and hopefully is close to full tilt (which may take a few games) and if Kemba continues to struggle, we could go with Kemba on the bench at the end of games. I would be very comfortable with Gordon distributing the ball at the end of intense close games.

Does Brad have the sack to bench Kemba at the end of a game? I hope so. My fear is Kemba is a player who the bigger the moment the worse he plays. Some simply don’t thrive on a big stage with bright lights. I hope there is another reason Kemba has been so bad the last three games.

I give Miami credit they have a good roster, a good coach and seemingly a good culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:15 pm

I really feel, with Hayward on the floor, Kemba's game will pick up. He is another body they will be forced to guard, these teams are just daring Smart to shoot, and right now it has worked out for the Celtics for the most part. I would rather them be worried about Gordon and Tatum.
I guess Jaylen was a bit upset last night after the game. During game on I wondered a couple of times why he was not getting the ball. He said after the game that he needs to handle the ball more, between Tatum shooting and them trying to get Kemba going, they have lost track of one of the most important members of the team. Interesting. Losing brings on anger.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi,
Obviously, addition of GH will improve Celtics quite a bit, on both ends of the floor.
As for Kemba, he is in a deep funk. Look at his shooting stats: last 10 games - <29%, last 5 games - <15%(!) from 3pt. I don't know if it's physical, mental or both. I don't think that Hayward's presence will pull him out of it. Well, the only thing GH can do is eliminate Brad's hesitation to sit KW at the end of a close game like yesterday.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I really feel, with Hayward on the floor, Kemba's game will pick up.  He is another body they will be forced to guard, these teams are just daring Smart to shoot, and right now it has worked out for the Celtics for the most part.  I would rather them be worried about Gordon and Tatum.
I guess Jaylen was a bit upset last night after the game. During game on I wondered a couple of times why he was not getting the ball.  He said after the game that he needs to handle the ball more, between Tatum shooting and them trying to get Kemba going, they have lost track of one of the most important members of the team.  Interesting.  Losing brings on anger.

Rosalie and Bob33

I can understand why Jaylen was upset.  Kemba fiddled and diddled with the ball and when he drove Crowder was on him with Bam ready to help and Tyler Herro edged towards him leaving Jaylen wide open in the corner for an open shot.  Instead he gets the shot blocked by Crowder and is assessed a 24 second violation.

Jayson and Kemba played hero ball in the 4th QTR while Smart, Brown and Theis were playing basketball.  And coach Stevens playing stupid ball

You know we were up 105-100 with 1:09 on the clock.  Then an out of position Kemba Walker gets beat up top with a 3 by the rookie Herro and then shortly after that he once again is out of position when Jimmy Butler drains a 3 from the corner giving them a 1 point lead.  Brad calls a time out but they foul before the ball is inbounded and Tatum gets one free throw tying the game.  We have a full 24 second shot clock and the ball goes to Kemba who holds it then dibbles to his right up top and swings it back over with only 6.3 seconds remaining to JT who takes a deep 3 that misses.

We still had one timeout left in regulation.  We do not need a coach to run that play.  That was really horrible.  That's on Brad Stevens and his gd obsession with shooting the three ball.

I tend to agree with Bob33.  If you replace Kemba with Hayward you will have a better scorer, rebounder and willing passer.  Kemba will have hurt feelings probably but who cares.  Winning is more important.  

GH's return should help this team play with more precision and consistency.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:11 pm

100% agree Dboss. Hurt feelings? Kemba's feelings will be really hurt if he is on a bus out of Orlando next week.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:02 pm

Forget Jaylen and having a 105-100 lead with 1.09 left is a disgrace. Kemba and Stevens are responsible. I wonder how things could have been different if Wanny was in, instead of Kemba, maybe we actually could have probed collectively and got you know a good shot and gotten a better defensive rotation. How does Stevens have his team collapse in such a big game, Heat moved the ball, got an open look on their key possessions and what did we do...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 pm

Well Dboss, today on Boston tv, they said that Stevens drew up a different play than what happened for the last shot. That is why Stevens was so quiet in his interview, he was ticked off and did not want to throw his players under the bus. It did look like hero ball out there though, I kept saying all night “where’s Jaylen”????

Hopefully, after some soul searching and film watching, they will screw their heads on right and a better game will be had by all
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Well that is good news. A little bit.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 am

Hi,
I hope today the Celtics will be at least 5-7 points ahead so there's no need for the "last shot".

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next