wideclyde
kdp59
sinus007
8 posters

Go down

Big Ticket Empty Big Ticket

Post by sinus007 Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:52 am

Hi,
Here is an interesting article about KG.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Big Ticket Empty Re: Big Ticket

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:46 am

I wonder if he and/ or Peirce will be on an NBA roster this year.

I was gonna say play, but to be honest neither one really played much last year even.

last I read was that both are undecided still. I even read that KG told Taylor that he would return but isn't sure his body can take it.

no one ever wins that age battle
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:45 pm

kdp,

Certainly not that I was ever even a good athlete, but you are 100% correct that no one wins the battle against Father Time. I can readily attest to the truth in that very old adage.

I think that both of these legends should call it a career. They have more than achieved whatever they originally could have dreamed of, won a championship (even together), have plenty enough money to live very well for the rest of their lives, neither of their teams will win a championship this season, are relatively healthy, and are both guaranteed locks for the Hall of Fame.

Wouldn't it be absolutely fantastic for them to have their uniforms retired to the rafters above the parquet where they won their championship together? I don't get back to New England very often, but might even try to buy a ticket to that game and make the trip. What a night it would be !!!!!

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:02 pm

I said in one of our posts a couple of weeks ago, maybe even last week, that it is sad to watch players of this caliber hang on too long. It certainly isn't the money. It sounded like Doc Rivers, in his interview last week, would not be unhappy to see Pierce retire. He is giving him the time to make the decision but Doc wishes he had made it, from the teams point of view, eight weeks ago. That conversation included "allowing" PP to sign a one day contract with the Celtics so that he could retire a Celtic. There is conversation going on regarding that, there is no doubt. I just wish, for the both of them, that they would walk away on their own terms and leave the game they love so much. Certainly, if either one wants to work for the Celtics and Minnesota, they will have a job.

There is always that little bit of wish inside me that they had both retired Celtics, heads held high. Oh well, when the games start I will be glad that Danny is a bit different from Red in that respect. Red would never have traded one of "his boys" who gave so much to the team.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:56 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I said in one of our posts a couple of weeks ago, maybe even last week, that it is sad to watch players of this caliber hang on too long. It certainly isn't the money. It sounded like Doc Rivers, in his interview last week, would not be unhappy to see Pierce retire. He is giving him the time to make the decision but Doc wishes he had made it,  from the teams point of view, eight weeks ago. That conversation included "allowing" PP to sign a one day contract with the Celtics so that he could retire a Celtic. There is conversation going on regarding that, there is no doubt.  I just wish, for the both of them, that they would walk away on their own terms and leave the game they love so much. Certainly, if either one wants to work for the Celtics and Minnesota, they will have a job.

There is always that little bit of wish inside me that they had both retired Celtics, heads held high. Oh well, when the games start I will be glad that Danny is a bit different from Red in that respect. Red would never have traded one of "his boys" who gave so much to the team.

Rosalie

I`m not sure Red was all that sentimental . He rode Cedric Maxwell out of town on a rail. I seem to remember him being rough on Jojo White too. I`m not sure what the circumstances were with Jojo, but Red  thought Max wasn`t working hard enough to rehab  a leg injury.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:12 am

Listen, I was a Max fan, even went to the retirement of his number. I won a contest here on Sam's Forum, the prize being a signed basketball by Max, Pete, remember that???? We met in a supermarket parking lot for him to give me the ball. I don't know if I was more excited about winning the contest or finally meeting one of the guys I had become friends with her on line.

BUT, Max took his rehabbing very lightly. He never thought Red would trade him, but as they say, he got a deal he couldn't refuse. Walton came here and the rest is history. However, from what I have read recently, Max has never gotten over being traded and felt betrayed. It is said that Larry was in the office when Red got the call about Walton wanting to come here, and he gave his approval to the trade, so I think there were more than one or two people who felt the way Red did.

For years, as each player got older, I am sure Red had the opportunity to trade them away. Larry and Kevin
were on their last legs when they were finishing out their careers. It is said so many times that Danny has said he would have traded them away before they retired. I am glad he was not in charge back then!! There is alot to be said about retiring with the team you earned the glory with. That is why I feel bad for Paul Pierce. KG had ten years with Minny and is glad to be back there. That is where is heart is I believe. But if they had gone out together it would have been special. Look at Russell and Sam Jones. Forever linked.

That is all I meant by what I said. It is a known fact that Red felt very strongly about keeping the guys together.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Rosalie,

I do remember that. I met your son as well!

Red also asked Max to go to rookie camp, he wouldn't go because he had to oversee his house being built. Red was pissed and said "Where do you think he got the money to build that house" That was pretty much the end of him in a Celts uniform.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:22 pm

In all the years I've followed the Celtics, there has only been one time when the C's drafted a college player I had rooted for. That was Max. I think the better word to describe Red was loyal, not sentimental. I haven't heard of this or looked into it in many years but one of the most astounding statistics I ever heard referenced was that at one point, probably in the 70s, the Celtics had more players that played their entire career with the Celtics then all other NBA teams combined.

Will this be the year?
17goingon18
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:05 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:In all the years I've followed the Celtics, there has only been one time when the C's drafted a college player I had rooted for. That was Max. I think the better word to describe Red was loyal, not sentimental. I haven't heard of this or looked into it in many years but one of the most astounding statistics I ever heard referenced was that at one point, probably in the 70s, the Celtics had more players that played their entire career with the Celtics then all other NBA teams combined.

Will this be the year?
17goingon18
That had a lot to do with their having good players, winning championships and no free agency. I wasn`t criticizing   Auerbach , nor was  I questioning his loyalty.  He`s my favorite coach of all time, in any sport. . What I am questioning is whether, given today`s completely different circumstances, he would have kept Pierce and KG until they retired ,when there was an opportunity to strengthen the team, and for them to remain together on a team that looked like a contender. I appreciate the Maxwell history lesson. Not being from Boston , I didn`t know the particulars . The fact remains that he traded a former finals MVP , and I doubt very much that he asked Max where he wanted to go. If there was one thing Red Auerbach excelled at, it was adjusting to changing circumstances.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm not upset when it comes to trading players in an effort to improve the team. For me it's - I wish you well - and with tears in my eyes (for sentimental reasons only) - thanks for the memories.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:23 pm

Different times, different players, certainly much more money flying around. I am sure Max wishes he was playing now!! Hey, he still got a job doing radio with Grande and has built himself a following. He is on all the sports talk shows at night. I do not feel sorry for him either.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down