Oddest Celtic Rumor Yet

Go down

Oddest Celtic Rumor Yet Empty Oddest Celtic Rumor Yet

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:28 pm

Tom Westerholm –  ‏@Tom_NBA

Per a report, Ray Allen has “spoken” to the Celtics about a possible comeback.

Boston Celtics rumors 2016: Ray Allen says he has 'spoken' to Celtics about possible comeback

Ray Allen
Ray Allen, per a report, has had talks with the Boston Celtics about returning to the NBA. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

on August 06, 2016 at 6:09 PM

The Boston Celtics entered the offseason in need of 3-point shooting, and aside from Stephen Curry, perhaps no other shooter in NBA history has been as proficient and efficient as former Celtic Ray Allen.

According to Allen, interviewed by the Hartford Courant, he has talked to the Celtics about a possible comeback.

The Spurs and Clippers have been mentioned, also, but Allen said he has spoken with the Celtics, with whom he won a championship in 2008, and the Bucks, his first NBA stop.

"I would love going back to those places if it worked out," Allen said, "because both teams are good, too. It doesn't necessarily have to be championship-or-bust for me to go back to the NBA.

"I want to be in a situation where I thought I could help, play a little bit and help where they have good young talent."

It's worth wondering whether Allen, who turned 41 in July, could still contribute at the professional level, particularly on the defensive end, but he was always known as the type of player who kept himself in top-notch shape to stay as healthy as possible. Much of his lateral athleticism will no doubt be gone, making defense very difficult, but as a shooter, he could certainly space the floor for brief stretches.

Allen, presumably, would get the veteran's minimum — per Real GM, that would be roughly $1.5 million — which is a significant amount of money for a player in what would presumably be his final season (although, if he's still playing at 41, who knows?). It's also noteworthy that Allen is looking simply for a competitive team, rather than a championship contender. The Celtics are not likely to contend for a championship, but they will be pretty good. If they can clear enough space on a very crowded roster to bring in an aging Allen, and if Allen can bring enough to a likely playoff team to be worthwhile, perhaps Danny Ainge would see him as a good match with Brad Stevens.

That confluence of factors is, of course, an enormous (and probably very doubtful) "if," but it could be a fun, nostalgic trip if Allen once again donned a green jersey.

bob
MY NOTE:  Well, this would bury the needle on the Weird--Shit-O-Meter.  Putting old ghosts to rest, I guess.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down