wideclyde
arambone
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Ben Simmons Breaks Fifth Metatarsal In Foot Empty Ben Simmons Breaks Fifth Metatarsal In Foot

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:33 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/ben-simmons-fractured-foot-2016-9

Philadelphia 76ers top pick Ben Simmons has a fracture in his foot

Emmett Knowlton 7h 2,629

Philadelphia 76ers rookie Ben Simmons suffered a fracture in his right foot during a practice on Friday, the team announced in a statement.

"Ben Simmons rolled his right ankle during the final scrimmage of the team's 2016 Training Camp at Stockton University earlier today," the statement read. "It was determined that Simmons suffered a fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone of his right foot."

Simmons, who is Australian and played one year of NCAA basketball at LSU, was the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft. At 6-foot-10, he is a gifted passer and has been called the best NBA prospect since Kevin Durant.

Simmons and the Sixers will be hoping that the fracture is not a Jones fracture - a specific fracture of the fifth metatarsal that takes a long time to heal. Durant suffered a Jones fracture and missed the bulk of the 2014-15 season.

Simmons also becomes the latest in a long and recent list of Sixers lottery picks to suffer an injury early in his career, as Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated noted:

No timetable has been given for Simmons' return.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ben Simmons Breaks Fifth Metatarsal In Foot Empty Re: Ben Simmons Breaks Fifth Metatarsal In Foot

Post by gyso Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:46 am

https://samcelt.forumotion.net/t11632-ben-simmons-breaks-fifth-metatarsal-in-foot

All across the Philadelphia 76ers basketball operations staff late on Friday afternoon, an internal email landed like a meteor hitting the side of a mountain: No. 1 overall pick Ben Simmons, fractured foot.

From the front office to the coaches to the scouting staff, the news delivered such an unmistakable sense of dread.
Not him.

Not us.

Not again.

There isn’t a franchise that wouldn’t feel the burden of losing its most promising young player before he’s even played a preseason game, but this is different. These are the Sixers, a franchise that has spent far too much time waiting on the broken bones of prodigies. Hello, Joel Embiid; goodbye, Ben Simmons. Once, the Portland Trail Blazers had this kind of awful run over several years, and now, it seems, it happens over and over to the 76ers.

As Embiid prepares to finally make his professional debut in his third season, Simmons goes down with a fracture in the fifth metatarsal of his right foot – which likely means he’s out for months, not weeks.

Ben Simmons Breaks Fifth Metatarsal In Foot Ben_si10

Simmons is a unique talent, 6-foot-10 and perhaps suited to play point guard. For now, he can do everything with a basketball but shoot it. The passing, the rebounding, finishing at the rim. In summer league, there was an electricity in the gym when Simmons had the ball. He could see things – and make plays – like only the remarkable ones do.

His gifts are so immense, that general manager Bryan Colangelo flatly told the The Vertical recently: Ben Simmons could be one of the greats.
“Hopefully, over the next five to 10 years, we’ll all be part of that same growth and that same process of him becoming a great basketball player, and becoming a Hall of Fame-type of player,” Colangelo told The Vertical.

“Does he have it in him?

“I think he does.”

There isn’t a young star in the league who wants to walk into the opening night of his NBA career on crutches, but Simmons truly needed to be on the floor. He needed to be with his teammates and coaches, needed to be practicing, playing, learning the professional game and life.

At times, he has drifted in his amateur career. At times, people wondered: How important is the game to him? Colangelo even suggested to The Vertical that Simmons could’ve been “bored” in his college season.

On and off the record, the Sixers’ staff has gushed over Simmons so far. He had come to camp with a serious-minded approach, had seemed to come to chase greatness. Now, there could be surgery. There could be months lost. There’s no timetable on a recovery yet, but make no mistake: Simmons needed this Sixers season, the way the franchise assuredly needs him.

“He’s in the gym whenever guys are in the gym playing basketball,” Colangelo told The Vertical. “He’s getting shots up. He’s working with the shooting coach. He’s been terrific. He gets along with everybody. He gets along with the people on staff, he gets along with the players that he’s been playing with, both in summer league and now that he’s been training in the gym. So far everything is spot on …”

Until Friday, when Ben Simmons, the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, was lost to a fractured right foot. They are far too used to this routine in Philadelphia, far too accustomed to the dull ache of a prodigy on crutches and on the mend.

All around that franchise, it hit hard today.

Not him.

Not us.

Not again.

Back to top Go down

Ben Simmons Breaks Fifth Metatarsal In Foot Empty Re: Ben Simmons Breaks Fifth Metatarsal In Foot

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:03 pm

The Philadelphia Jinx continues. God, how much more is this team going to have to deal with??
Too bad for the kid, he is special.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:41 pm

WOW what a nighmare !!!

remember in preseason when Jaylon Brown was aggressively pressing on Simmons and Simmons got hurt during that game?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:28 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:WOW what a nighmare !!!

remember in preseason when Jaylon Brown was aggressively pressing on Simmons and Simmons got hurt during that game?

Simmons cramped up like 5 minutes into that first summer league game, which shows he was completely out of shape. I'm guessing his basketball related activities were subdued all summer, but that's just a hunch.

I don't think he's a very hard worker, and I don't think he put tons of time in in the gym getting his wind up and strengthening his legs. I think he was mostly focused on gaining weight for the nba rigors, and took the lower body and cardiovascular stuff for granted.

Bet he wouldn't have broke his foot if he was hungrier all summer, and if his reputation for greatness didn't precede him.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:20 pm

I am not a believer in jinxes or karma, but perhaps the 'ers are being hit with the curse of Sam Hinke.

Tanking for all of these so many passed years was just not right on any level.

Last edited by wideclyde on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:38 pm

This was what was said about Simmons. I have to wonder about his immaturity. The fact that he went to LSU and when they did not make the big dance, refused to be involved in the NIT and quit school. Waste of a scholarship, someone who really needed it could have used it. I know that is not hot it works, but something should change in college.

This kid was handled with kid gloves, supposedly was mentored by LeBron and his people, made him feel like he was above the rest. So...I am supposed to feel sorry for him? Hard work, that is what this kid needs to learn.

You are right, he cramped up early in the summer game and they treated him with kid gloves throughout the summer. How will he ever learn what hard work is??

It is still a shame, I certainly don't wish anyone bad luck, but if I would ever have my choice, and I played ball, Phillie is not where I would want to end up!!! HaHa. Do we believe in jinxes????????

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:26 pm

arambone wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:WOW what a nighmare !!!

Simmons cramped up like 5 minutes into that first summer league game, which shows he was completely out of shape. I'm guessing his basketball related activities were subdued all summer, but that's just a hunch.

I don't think he's a very hard worker, and I don't think he put tons of time in in the gym getting his wind up and strengthening his legs. I think he was mostly focused on gaining weight for the nba rigors, and took the lower body and cardiovascular stuff for granted.

Bet he wouldn't have broke his foot if he was hungrier all summer, and if his reputation for greatness didn't precede him.

I was really impressed that game how hard Brown wanted to go at the #1 draft choice, he was up for that moment and wanted that assignment and Simmons is a talent, but agreed something wasn't right, he was not prepared to play/scrimmage, not good, he should know if your the #1 pick players are gonna want to test you, go after you and whatever he was doing up to that point, at SL he wasn't ready.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:10 am

My biggest issue with this that it may make Brooklyn less of a lock for the #1 pick.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:02 pm

I wonder if the Sixers have considered hiring an exorcist?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Breaking the fifth metatarsal is not a serious injury. I broke mine in 1982 and ran 6 miles on it 3 weeks later. It usually takes 6 weeks to heal stronger than ever. Still, he shows no hunger, discipline, work ethic, or maturity. Glad we got Jalen.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:24 pm

worcester wrote:Breaking the fifth metatarsal is not a serious injury. I broke mine in 1982 and ran 6 miles on it 3 weeks later. It usually takes 6 weeks to heal stronger than ever.  Still, he shows no hunger, discipline, work ethic, or maturity. Glad we got Jalen.

How do you claim he shows no hunger, discipline, work ethic or maturity?

Right after the LSU regular season ended, he left the school and has worked out and worked on his game like a mad man.
He was working out with trainers and nutritionists while other players were finishing out their last semester in school.

To the contrary, he has shown an incredible amount of focus to work on his body and his game.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:41 pm

dream on, tj.

While every other prospect was busting their butts zigzagging around the country doing 5-20 different team workouts, and then repeat workouts, Simmons was chilling out. His game showed no improvements in summer league, and he cramped up 5 minutes into his first summer league game. Then after a few games in summer league his coaches had to tell him to stop taking so many plays off.

The guy is a circus act, perfect for Los Angeles, but he's no blue collar worker. Your Lakers got the better prospect in Ingram, and maybe even in Zubac as well.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:48 pm

arambone wrote:dream on, tj.

While every other prospect was busting their butts zigzagging around the country doing 5-20 different team workouts, and then repeat workouts, Simmons was chilling out. His game showed no improvements in summer league, and he cramped up 5 minutes into his first summer league game. Then after a few games in summer league his coaches had to tell him to stop taking so many plays off.

The guy is a circus act, perfect for Los Angeles, but he's no blue collar worker. Your Lakers got the better prospect in Ingram, and maybe even in Zubac as well.

Wrong as usual...

Simmons didn't have to spend time working out for various teams.
He was a lock for the #1 or #2 pick.
Simmons shot looked much better in summer league compared to LSU.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17645220/philadelphia-76ers-rookie-ben-simmons-gained-33-pounds-leaving-lsu
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:00 pm

When Simmons says he gained 33 lbs, keep in mind he was too lazy to ever go to class, so his basic math skills are about as good as his jump shooting.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:03 pm

TJ, I was basing my comments about Simmons' deficiencies on what I'd read on this site. From reading your link, I recognize that I may be poorly informed and too hasty to cast aspersions. I wish the young man well and hope he makes the Sixers a better team than the Nets this season.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:30 pm

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/03/rumor-agent-rich-paul-wont-let-injured-ben-simmons-play-for-76ers-this-year/

"Rumor: Agent Rich Paul won’t let injured Ben Simmons play for 76ers this year"

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:49 am

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/03/rumor-agent-rich-paul-wont-let-injured-ben-simmons-play-for-76ers-this-year/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo&ref=yfp

Rumor: Agent Rich Paul won’t let injured Ben Simmons play for 76ers this year

By Dan Feldman

Oct 3, 2016, 6:01 PM EDT

Ben Simmons reportedly wanted the Lakers to draft him. The 76ers selected him with the No. 1 pick anyway – the right move, because they were positioned to force his hand.

But what if Simmons balks at playing this season? How much pressure will Philadelphia apply this time?

Simmons is expected to miss three months after breaking his foot, and 76ers say they’ll be patient. Perhaps, Simmons and his agent (Rich Paul) will test the line of that patience.

Bob Cooney of the Philadelphia Daily News on 97.5 The Fanatic:

I just got off the phone with somebody who I really trust in the NBA, and he’s like there’s no way his agent is going to let him play this year. That’s an injury that you don’t mess around with, and he thinks he’s going to keep him off his feet all year.

On one hand, the 76ers can withstand losing Simmons for the year, because they’ll stink regardless. This would at least improve their lottery position.

On the other hand, Simmons is the preeminent source of optimism as the team tries to shake its losing reputation. Philadelphia wants its fans to see him on the court.

The long-term concerns are much greater. There were already major questions about Simmons’ attitude after he dogged it at LSU. Yes, Simmons was stuck playing for a mediocre team at a below-market rate. But that also applies to him on the 76ers.

Paul’s job is to look out for Simmons’ best interests, and that might be the case here. There’s no sense risking repeated injury until Simmons foot is completely healed. But Simmons also needs the proper mental approach going forward, and sitting out once healthy could stifle that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:40 am

6 weeks to heal...that's it...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down