Random Thoughts on Jae, Gerald, Al and Continuity

Go down

Random Thoughts on Jae, Gerald, Al and Continuity  Empty Random Thoughts on Jae, Gerald, Al and Continuity

Post by gyso Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:54 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2016/09/random-thoughts-on-jae-gerald-al-and.html

Jae Crowder has quickly become my favorite Celtic on this team.  He the kind of player that I just love.  He plays intense defense, backs down from no one and works hard to improve with every game.  It's amazing that he wasn't used more in Dallas but I'm not complaining.  He is taking on the role of leader on the team this year and the best part of that is he leads by example.  He recently gave Jaylen Brown some good advice and Jaylen would be very wise to follow it.

[Use link above to watch video]

I really like Jae's motor. He goes hard every minute he is on the court. I love players who play hard, especially on defense. And Jae's value increases when you figure he can play 3 or 4 positions and can guard them as well. I think Gerald Green's problem when he first came into the league was his motor. He was so laid back and loved dunking but didn't put much effort into much else, especially not on the defensive end. But he has grown up a lot and I am excited to see the Gerald with more of a full game who plays hard on both ends. In one of his interviews he said that he and Isaiah go together like Koolaid and sugar.  Sweet!!! Smile 

Speaking of Gerald, he is sitting out a few games with a hip flexor. It's not supposed to be anything serious and mostly sitting him now is more of a precaution. He's expected to be back on the court early next week. Speaking of next week, We get to see honest to goodness Celtics basketball! The first preseason game will be against the Sixers on October 4 at 7:00 PM ET. I can't wait! Of course, preseason basketball is a breed of its own and can be unpredictable with coaches looking at the end of the roster and fringe ;players who may or may not make the team. But it's basketball nonetheless. Tonight at 7 and again at 9 PM ET, CSNNE will be televising the Celtics annual Green and White scrimmage.

Al Horford has fit into this team like a glove, just as I thought he would. He has build fast chemistry with Amir Johnson and their games have meshed quickly. Isaiah Thomas has said that Al makes it easier on everyone. For his part, Al has been trying to find how he can help each player and and said that he has everyone's back. He is a very unselfish player and he was the one player I had hoped the Celtics had a chance to get. I'm very glad he's here.

One of the things the Celtics have going in their favor this year is continuity. Yes, they have lost a couple of players and added a couple new players, but the core of the team is still here and has played together for a couple of years now. Here is a quote from Brad Stevens back in March of 2014.

“I think, when you look at some of the better teams in the league, certainly talent is a huge part of it,” Stevens said Friday on 98.5 The Sports Hub. “Everyone being on the same page is a huge part of it, too. You also look at the continuity that was built over time. Every moment guys have a chance to be together, it’s very important for guys to be productive.”

I've read a lot about the history of the Celtics. The teams that won championship after championship had stars and many have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. But what made the Celtics teams of old so good was each of those players' willingness to play a role. One of Red's more famous quotes was "Do what you do best." Red never focused on the individual players on his teams. He looked at the team as a whole. The Celtics were the first organization to embrace the concept of the role player.  Here's some wisdom from the Celtics patriarch, Red Auerbach on role players and the team concept:

“That’s a player who willingly undertakes the thankless job that has to be done in order to make the whole package fly,”
“Individual honors are nice, but no Celtic has ever gone out of his way to achieve them.  We have never had the league’s top scorer. In fact, we won seven league championships without placing even one among the league’s top 10 scorers. Our pride was never rooted in statistics.”

The players with character that Red sought out in building his teams were players who wouldn't complain about stats, playing time or touches. They were players who put the team first and I think that Danny and Brad have filled this team with that same kind of players.  Al Horford is the perfect example of that type of player.   And this group has shown that they play for each other and for the team.  I don't believe that any of them play for personal stats.  Jae's motto that the team adopted last season is a sign of that.  "We are One Superstar."  I love it!!!!  

Back to top Go down