Random Thoughts on Pingpong Balls

4 posters

Go down

Random Thoughts on Pingpong Balls Empty Random Thoughts on Pingpong Balls

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:04 pm

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/03/random-thoughts-on-last-nights-win-and.html

Random Thoughts on Pingpong Balls Heat+Celtics+Humphries
Hump landing like a ton of green bricks on Bosh. There's always something to like about every game. In addition to winning, we got to see Bosh turned into a crepe.

I know that there will be a lot of Celtics fans today wringing their hands and complaining about last night's win but I'm definitely not one of them. These guys play so hard that they need to be rewarded with a win sometimes and if it's a win over the Heat, all the better. I really dislike the Heat and with or without LeBron, a win over them is always good.

As for the ping pong balls, the win last night dropped the Celtics from the 4th worst record to 6th worst, leap frogging over both the Jazz and the Lakers, both of whom lost last night. I've posted this before, but the team with the worst record or second worst record doesn't always get the top pick. In fact, in the past, the team with the worst record hasn't gotten the top pick since Orlando did it in 2004. Since that 2004 draft when the worst team got the top pick, here are the teams that have won the lottery:

2013: Cleveland Cavaliers 3rd worst record
2012: New Orleans Hornets 3rd worst record
2011: LA Clippers 8th worst record (But the Cavs made the pick)
2010: Washington Wizards 5th worst record
2009: Los Angeles Clippers 2nd worst record
2008: Chicago Bulls 9th worst record
2007: Portland Trail Blazers 6th worst record
2006: Toronto Raptors 5th worst record
2005: Milwaukee Bucks 6th worst record

It would appear by the lottery history that the team with the 6th worst record has as much chance to win the lottery as the 1st or second worst record. The Magic have even won the lottery with the 11th worst record. The season when the Celtics really did tank for Tim Duncan, they ended up with the 3rd pick. And in 2007, they had the second worst record and ended up with the 5th pick. It's a lottery and just because you have the worst record won't guarantee you the top pick. I'm all for winning and playing the game the right way and letting the ping pong balls fall where they may. Maybe karma will reward the Celtics for doing it right.

Last night we was some of what can be in the future. I love the way Avery and Rondo play together when they are both healthy. I'm hoping that Danny keeps both for the future. I'm always seeing fans on other boards coveting both players and never will understand why some Celtics fans want to trade either player. I can't think of a point guard or 2 guard I'd rather have. These two are only going to get better.

I also believe that Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger also have a lot of upside and I really like Kris Humphries and Brandon Bass. All 4 contributed to this win and all 4 have been playing well. I also know that something has to give with 4 players who are power forwards. I couldn't pick any one of them to trade but I'll be happy with whichever players Danny keeps. All are good character and good team guys. When I first heard that Danny traded for Kris Humphries, I thought I'd hate the guy but he has won me over and I'd really like to see Danny re-sign him if the price is right.

I'm going to cheer for the Celtics to win every single game and let the ping pong balls take care of themselves. I see how happy the players are after a win and how down they are after the losses and I can't help but want them to win.  Watch the video below and just see how the win has lifted the spirits of both players and coach.   The players are not tanking and they have pride and they very much want to win.    And, winning the series over the Miami Heat is always a good thing. And as for LeBron being out in this one, Rajon Rondo didn't play in the first win, so we are pretty much even in that regard. Celtic Pride is alive and well and I'm fine with that.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts on Pingpong Balls Empty Re: Random Thoughts on Pingpong Balls

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Hopefully the ping-pong balls bounce our way for once, AND, our first round pick doesn't include another...

J.R. Giddens (2008)
Fab Melo (2012)
Lucas Nogueira (2013)*

*...although he did magically turn into Kelly Olynyk, who might turn out OK.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:12 pm

I'd be happy with Dante Exum and AJ Hammons.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:14 am

No matter how the ping pong balls land the C's will be picking a lot higher than in the years they took Giddens or Fab or even Olynyk.

Of course they could make comparable choices even with the higher pick. I doubt that DA will but anything is possible.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down