bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

POST GAME SA - AWAY Empty POST GAME SA - AWAY

Post by 112288 Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Fast Break: Celtics can’t keep pace with Kawhi Leonard, Spurs

WEEI

By Jerry Spar

Al Horford looks to pass as Danny Green attempts to defend during Wednesday's game in San Antonio. (Soobum Im/USA Today Sports)

Al Horford looks to pass as Danny Green attempts to defend during Wednesday’s game in San Antonio. (Soobum Im/USA Today Sports)

Celtics coach Brad Stevens can continue to preach patience, but his team looks as frustrated as its fans as it continues to plod along, losing to every good team it faces.

Wednesday night’s 108-101 loss to the Spurs comes as no surprise — especially with Isaiah Thomas still on the shelf. But at some point this team will need to turn a corner if it’s going to live up to preseason expectations.

On the positive side for Boston, Avery Bradley continued his strong play of late, recording 25 points, 10 rebounds, six assists and three steals.

Jae Crowder scored 15 points, Al Horford netted 13, Terry Rozier chipped in with 12 in 25 minutes off the bench, and Marcus Smart had 11 points and six assists.

Kawhi Leonard led the Spurs with 26 points, and he added six assists. Pau Gasol had 17 points, 13 rebounds and six assists. Tony Parker scored 10 of his 16 points in the fourth quarter and also had seven assists.

Manu Ginobili (12), Dewayne Dedmon (10) and Patty Mills (10) also scored in double figures for the home team.

David Lee again hurt the C’s. The onetime Celtic, starting in place of LaMarcus Aldridge (rest), finished with eight points, 10 rebounds and three assists in 30 minutes. In the teams’ previous meeting on Nov. 25, Lee had 15 points and 12 assists in the Spurs’ 109-103 win.

With 1:38 left, Lee made a big play, tapping out an offensive rebound to thwart the C’s momentum after they had cut a 15-point lead to seven in a span of three minutes.

“[Lee’s] really got a good basketball mind,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told ESPN during an interview before the fourth quarter. “He understands the game innately.”

The Celtics were playing catch-up all night. They trailed by nine at the half and by 15 five minutes into the third quarter. The San Antonio lead was 13 with 3 1/2 minutes left in the third, but Boston then embarked on a 14-2 run over the next 2 1/2 minutes, with seven of the points coming from Horford. Pau Gasol hit a corner 3 with 46 seconds left in the period to make it 77-73 heading into the final quarter.

Again San Antonio built the lead to 15 midway with 4 1/2 minutes left in the game at 100-85, as the C’s just could not contain Leonard, Gasol and Parker.

The Celtics played their fourth straight game without Thomas (strained groin). They hope to have him back for Friday’s home game vs. the Hornets.

The Spurs now have beaten the Celtics 11 straight times.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Celtics come up short in 108-101 loss to Spurs

By A. Sherrod Blakely December 14, 2016 11:54 PM

The San Antonio Spurs would pull ahead by double digits, the Celtics would come back and find themselves within striking distance. But when it came time to make the big shot to fully swing the game’s momentum in their favor, the Celtics consistently came up short.

The end result was yet another good, but-not-good-enough-to-win performance as the Spurs did just enough to hold on for a 108-101 win.

Boston (13-12) lost its 11th straight to the Spurs (20-5), winners in six of their last seven games.

For the Celtics, playing without Isaiah Thomas for the fourth straight game this season due to a right groin injury, Wednesday’s loss was yet another reminder of how the Celtics still have a ways to go before they can be among the best in the NBA.

The Celtics (13-12) are now 0-7 this season against teams with a winning percentage of 60 percent or better, a tally that includes a pair of losses to the Spurs who were playing without LaMarcus Aldridge (rest) on Wednesday.

Boston found itself down double digits in the fourth quarter, but rallied to cut San Antonio’s lead to 85-80 following a 3-point play by Marcus Smart.

But it wasn’t too long before the Spurs had pushed their lead back to double digits as the Celtics once again found themselves coming up short in the fourth quarter.

There are lots of moments during the last four games when Thomas’ presence was noticeable, but none more than the fourth quarter.

He averages 7.7 points in the fourth quarter which ranks among the top-4 in the NBA. Without him, the Celtics could never find that one guy that could carry them when they needed carrying the most.

Al Horford had good looks at the rim in the fourth, but the four-time all-star was having one of his worst shooting games since signing his $113 million deal with Boston in the summer. He finished with 13 points on 4-for-12 shooting.

The one bright spot for the Celtics was Avery Bradley who finished with his ninth double-double of the season with 25 points and 10 rebounds to go with five assists.

But the Spurs are like a well-oiled machine that just purrs along, regardless of who is behind the wheel.

No Aldridge?

No problem.

It just meant more shots for Kawhi Leonard who had 26 points and six assists, and more opportunities for veterans like ex-Celtic David Lee who had a near double-double (eight points, 10 rebounds) and Pau Gasol who was scoreless when these two played on Nov. 25.

On Wednesday, Gasol was getting buckets and boards all night, finishing with a double-double of 17 points and 13 rebounds, in addition to dishing out six assists while also tallying two steals.

Last edited by 112288 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

POST GAME SA - AWAY Empty Re: POST GAME SA - AWAY

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:12 am

Barring a major trade to receive a legit rim protecting center and a snipper in either 2 guard or small forward this team is cooked.

I am downgrading the win total for the year to 45 wins. This team is going no where and Stevens is as much to blame as Danny and the personnel he put together.

I think this kick-out 3 ball that Stevens has bought into, is a bunch of CRAP!  The Celtics came back several times in this game when they attacked the paint and occasionally kicked the ball out....but they consistently pounded the paint.  Then they go right back to kick out crap 3 point ball.  It is over kill and the percentage shots for a poor shooting team drops significantly.

I do not blame the players as I see them all doing it (KICK OUT TO 3 PT LINE) even when they had many an easy shots down low that would produce at the very least  a foul to get them to the line.

I think Stevens is off his game in a big way and is not coaching up to his grade.

How in the world do you have one of your bigs and a number of other players STANDING AND I MEAN STANDING AROUND BEYOND THE ARC waiting for a kick out when they should be rotating and having a constant flow.  GO TO AN OPEN AREA GET A PASS....JUST DON'T STAND AROUND WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW

Don't look now but Brooklyn is gaining on us and is only 5 games out!

WAITING FOR DANNY TO MAKE THE CELTICS GREAT AGAIN.............SOMEDAY SOOOOOON!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:16 am

We're a kick out jumpshooting team, we are told.  I saw a stat last night that said we are the 4th or 5th best catch-and-shoot team in the league.  Well, that might work fine if we can catch-and-shoot while open, but if we have to create our own shots we have IT and, it's looking like, Rozier, and that's it and in the playoffs when crunch time is about go-to guys, we aren't there.

It was the Bradley and Rozier show last night.  Bradley was everywhere on offense and defense.  Yeah, he lost Tony Parker a few times, and I don't know how/why at his age but that has been happening for a long time, yet he was still unreal.  Rozier is looking very cool, calm and collected.  He hit two buzzerbeaters and was a real pest on defense.  He was 5-13, which isn't great, but he attacked the rim and was just generally flying all over the place.  His box score doesn't give him full credit for the impact on the game he had.  Without these two it would have been a 20 point blow out.

Take Bradley's numbers out and the other 4 starters were 15-39, 38%.  That sucks.  Every single Spur starter was 50% or better.

Our front court should have destroyed theirs.  San Antonio might have the most defensively-challenged starting front court in the league with Pau Gasol and David Lee and yet Amir and Horford were a combined 5-15.  Amir played only 17 minutes and was replaced :38 into the 3rd quarter by Kelly.

This might have been Marcus Smart's worst game this year.  He did little well.  He ripped a rebound out of someone's hands and got a plus 1 toward the very end but otherwise he was not good.  Not good defense on Manu or Parker and not that good on offense neither.  He got back doored and give-and-got several times because he got caught watching the ball and the Spurs don't stop moving.  5-12 is better than he usually is but 0-4 from 3.  He needs to stop taking them, they are outside of his effective range.  That doesn't mean he can't hit one, Amir can hit an occasional 3 too, but his 3pt fg% is too bad for it to be an integral part of his offense and, with 4 3pt fgas out of 12, that's what they were.  Period.  If you look at his shot chart for the game all of his fgm, ALL of them, were in the paint.  Not just "not 3ptrs", but in the paint.  I'll bet if we looked at all the games he has been starting in IT's place we'll see the same story.  Take it inside, Marcus, take it inside.

All of Jaylen Browns fgas and fgm were at the rim.  That's the way, kid.  Another good, albeit short, stint for the rook.  He went end-to-end once and I saw the future.  The lightbulb is coming on for him.  We got a bit frustrated early, because he's a #3 pick and wasn't earning minutes, but when you consider we're only 1/3 of the way into his first year and he is just a little over one year out of High School, he's coming along well.  I can see why Danny and Brad fell in love with him.  Danny fell in love with him because of his athleticism and versatility and Brad fell in love with him because of his calm, unflappable demeanor.  He approaches things in an unemotional way, like Brad does.  He was asked why he was getting more minutes now and he said "because I was doing things wrong on defense that I'm not doing anymore".  Not "I'm getting my chance" or "I have more confidence", but "I was doing X, I should have been doing Y, and now that I'm not doing X anymore I'm getting minutes".  That is precisely the type of detail oriented perspective Brad loves.

We were 2-9 from 3 in the 4th quarter. 3 points are better than 2 points, but only if you hit your 3pt shots. If you don't then they are much worse, and we didn't. I don't know if this was a winnable game (San Antonio? IN San Antonio?) but it would have been a nail-biter for Pop if we could shoot. Our offense revolves around effective long-range shooting and we can't shoot and it gets even harder in the 4th quarter when legs start to go a bit.

Kawhi Leonard is really, really, really, really good.  Really.  And a #14 pick.

For the other guys, they are a machine on offense and defense.  Pop has been there since Noah built himself a boat and it shows.  Their defensive rotations and doubles were some of the fastest I have seen in a while.  Offensively, they have two excellent passing bigs in Gasol and Lee, who are effective from the high post, so you cannot just fall off them to protect the passing lanes.  We have two of them two, Horford and Kelly, but Amir is a non-factor other than as a pick-setter, out high.  Offensively, they move non-stop and they are an excellent jump shooting team.  They are also an old team.  Gasol is 36, Lee is 33, Parker is 34 and Manu is thirty-freaking-nine.  Danny Green is 28 and Patty Mills is 29.  Of their top minute-getters only Kawhi Leonard is young at 25.  So much for the value of youth over process.  Pop has process, Pop has a system and the age and athleticism of his players are not as important as their BBIQ and their specific skill sets.  Brad talks a lot about "process" but does Brad know what skill sets he needs for his process?  This is Year 4 of the rebuild, he should have most of those players now.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899825

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:50 am

bobheckler wrote:We're a kick out jumpshooting team, we are told.  I saw a stat last night that said we are the 4th or 5th best catch-and-shoot team in the league.  Well, that might work fine if we can catch-and-shoot while open, but if we have to create our own shots we have IT and, it's looking like, Rozier, and that's it and in the playoffs when crunch time is about go-to guys, we aren't there.

It was the Bradley and Rozier show last night.  Bradley was everywhere on offense and defense.  Yeah, he lost Tony Parker a few times, and I don't know how/why at his age but that has been happening for a long time, yet he was still unreal.  Rozier is looking very cool, calm and collected.  He hit two buzzerbeaters and was a real pest on defense.  He was 5-13, which isn't great, but he attacked the rim and was just generally flying all over the place.  His box score doesn't give him full credit for the impact on the game he had.  Without these two it would have been a 20 point blow out.

Take Bradley's numbers out and the other 4 starters were 15-39, 38%.  That sucks.  Every single Spur starter was 50% or better.

Our front court should have destroyed theirs.  San Antonio might have the most defensively-challenged starting front court in the league with Pau Gasol and David Lee and yet Amir and Horford were a combined 5-15.  Amir played only 17 minutes and was replaced :38 into the 3rd quarter by Kelly.

This might have been Marcus Smart's worst game this year.  He did little well.  He ripped a rebound out of someone's hands and got a plus 1 toward the very end but otherwise he was not good.  Not good defense on Manu or Parker and not that good on offense neither.  He got back doored and give-and-got several times because he got caught watching the ball and the Spurs don't stop moving.  5-12 is better than he usually is but 0-4 from 3.  He needs to stop taking them, they are outside of his effective range.  That doesn't mean he can't hit one, Amir can hit an occasional 3 too, but his 3pt fg% is too bad for it to be an integral part of his offense and, with 4 3pt fgas out of 12, that's what they were.  Period.  If you look at his shot chart for the game all of his fgm, ALL of them, were in the paint.  Not just "not 3ptrs", but in the paint.  I'll bet if we looked at all the games he has been starting in IT's place we'll see the same story.  Take it inside, Marcus, take it inside.

All of Jaylen Browns fgas and fgm were at the rim.  That's the way, kid.  Another good, albeit short, stint for the rook.  He went end-to-end once and I saw the future.  The lightbulb is coming on for him.  We got a bit frustrated early, because he's a #3 pick and wasn't earning minutes, but when you consider we're only 1/3 of the way into his first year and he is just a little over one year out of High School, he's coming along well.  I can see why Danny and Brad fell in love with him.  Danny fell in love with him because of his athleticism and versatility and Brad fell in love with him because of his calm, unflappable demeanor.  He approaches things in an unemotional way, like Brad does.  He was asked why he was getting more minutes now and he said "because I was doing things wrong on defense that I'm not doing anymore".  Not "I'm getting my chance" or "I have more confidence", but "I was doing X, I should have been doing Y, and now that I'm not doing X anymore I'm getting minutes".  That is precisely the type of detail oriented perspective Brad loves.

We were 2-9 from 3 in the 4th quarter.  3 points are better than 2 points, but only if you hit your 3pt shots.  If you don't then they are much worse, and we didn't.  I don't know if this was a winnable game (San Antonio?  IN San Antonio?) but it would have been a nail-biter for Pop if we could shoot.  Our offense revolves around effective long-range shooting and we can't shoot and it gets even harder in the 4th quarter when legs start to go a bit.

For the other guys, they are a machine on offense and defense.  Pop has been there since Noah built himself a boat and it shows.  Their defensive rotations and doubles were some of the fastest I have seen in a while.  Offensively, they have two excellent passing bigs in Gasol and Lee, who are effective from the high post, so you cannot just fall off them to protect the passing lanes.  We have two of them two, Horford and Kelly, but Amir is a non-factor other than as a pick-setter, out high.  Offensively, they move non-stop and they are an excellent jump shooting team.  They are also an old team.  Gasol is 36, Lee is 33, Parker is 34 and Manu is thirty-freaking-nine.  Danny Green is 28 and Patty Mills is 29.  Of their top minute-getters only Kawhi Leonard is young at 25.  So much for the value of youth over process.  Pop has process, Pop has a system and the age and athleticism of his players are not as important as their BBIQ and their specific skill sets.  Brad talks a lot about "process" but does Brad know what skill sets he needs for his process?  This is Year 4 of the rebuild, he should have most of those players now.

bob

Excellent commentary. I`ll just add that our bigs, Horford included , are as soft as butter.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:08 am

jrleftfoot wrote:
bobheckler wrote:We're a kick out jumpshooting team, we are told.  I saw a stat last night that said we are the 4th or 5th best catch-and-shoot team in the league.  Well, that might work fine if we can catch-and-shoot while open, but if we have to create our own shots we have IT and, it's looking like, Rozier, and that's it and in the playoffs when crunch time is about go-to guys, we aren't there.

We were 2-9 from 3 in the 4th quarter.  3 points are better than 2 points, but only if you hit your 3pt shots.  If you don't then they are much worse, and we didn't.  I don't know if this was a winnable game (San Antonio?  IN San Antonio?) but it would have been a nail-biter for Pop if we could shoot.  Our offense revolves around effective long-range shooting and we can't shoot and it gets even harder in the 4th quarter when legs start to go a bit.

bob

Excellent commentary. I`ll just add that our bigs, Horford included , are as soft as butter.

JR,

Did you watch the game?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Coach Stevens needs to make a few changes.

First he continues to allow his team to play poorly over long stretches of the game without calling a time out.  

Second his defensive system rarely provides an option for a more aggressive end to end approach that is not necessarily designed to turn the other team over but would take seconds off of the shot clock thus forcing teams away from what they want to do.

The yoyo game he is playing with Zeller is pretty stupid.    

Marcus Smart was 0-4 from behind the arc.  Enough is enough.  The kid could not shoot coming out of Okalahoma State and he cannot shoot now.  

The pace and space offense is designed to open up the lane and also get the ball to open guys but as I stated a few years ago this offense does not specifically target certain players.  In other words just because Marcus Smart is the open man does not mean the ball should go to him with the shot clock winding down.  We see very little post play on offense.  

There are always going to be open shots but launching 31.2 scud missiles every game is not a formula for success.

Team Chemistry is of vital importance.  The Celtics miss Evan Turner.  They could not keep him because of the money and no one can argue with that but he is definitely missed.

The question is do you make some moves now to improve or do you ride out the year and then upgrade.  We have several expiring contracts in the mix and the Nets are 2 games from the bottom.  Rozier and Brown may be significantly more seasoned come April.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:54 pm

I watched all but a few minutes , Bob. Bradley and Rozier were terrific. I think Brown will become a monster. Would like to see more of the energizer , Jerebko. Sadly , Horford`s presence makes Kelly O redundant  ,in my book. His skill set mimics Horfords  but , unfortunately , doesn`t mirror it. Kelly is a slightly better three point shooter, but that`s negated by his hesitancy to shoot it and all around indeciseveness. Zeller is a mystery to me. It seems like he would put up really good offensive numbers with consistent minutes. Can he be that bad defensively? Apparently so. None of them can rebound. I never thought I`d miss Sullinger but I do. ET too.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:33 pm

I think looking at this team from the starting gate, it was reasonable to expect a step back from last year.  The '15 - '16 team played over it's head with a gritty, determined, selfless brand of basketball.  The plague of injuries to start the season didn't help, and the league is ready for the surprising Celtics they saw last year.  I think if you're genuine in your evaluation of the roster, it's an expected step back this year, on the way to better things.  

There is a potential solid core, led by some young guards and a wing or two who should continue to improve.  We're weakest in the front-court, and that will take time to change.  This isn't a team with a lot of value to trade, and the non-stop flood of trade rumors are an unneeded and unrealistic distraction.

This team will be rebuilt over a good number of years, with extremely young talent that will take time to mature and gel.  Enjoy watching the likes of Brown, Thomas, Smart and Rozier develop.  Look for the future drafts and perhaps minor deals that bring us a front-court, and a shooter or two.  We're getting there, but it's not going to happen quickly.  Once it does turn around, built on youth, it will last.  That will be worth the wait.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:03 pm

NYCelt wrote:I think looking at this team from the starting gate, it was reasonable to expect a step back from last year.  The '15 - '16 team played over it's head with a gritty, determined, selfless brand of basketball.  The plague of injuries to start the season didn't help, and the league is ready for the surprising Celtics they saw last year.  I think if you're genuine in your evaluation of the roster, it's an expected step back this year, on the way to better things.  

There is a potential solid core, led by some young guards and a wing or two who should continue to improve.  We're weakest in the front-court, and that will take time to change.  This isn't a team with a lot of value to trade, and the non-stop flood of trade rumors are an unneeded and unrealistic distraction.

This team will be rebuilt over a good number of years, with extremely young talent that will take time to mature and gel.  Enjoy watching the likes of Brown, Thomas, Smart and Rozier develop.  Look for the future drafts and perhaps minor deals that bring us a front-court, and a shooter or two.  We're getting there, but it's not going to happen quickly.  Once it does turn around, built on youth, it will last.  That will be worth the w
I tend to agree with your analysis , NYC, but there is no reason not to try and improve the product in the meantime while keeping the long time goal and the core intact. Call me greedy, but I still want a banger and  a knock down shooter .I would prefer doing it through free agency though , rather than giving up somebody like AB, who I consider part of that core group, Brown or Rozier. Zizic may  fill a role too, and Yabusele and Nader are intrigueing.I`m still waiting for Smart to figure out a better wat to score than launching scud missiles.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:03 am

jrleftfoot,

This is the second reference to Smart's outside shot being similar to a scud missile. Which (sadly?) leads to this:

What is the difference between a scud missile and a Marcus Smart 3-pointer?

While both of them could be considered to be long range projectiles with no apparent target in mind, one of them is a offensive terror weapon and the other is a terrible offence weapon.

It needs work, but that is all I got. clown

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:17 am

gyso wrote:jrleftfoot,

This is the second reference to Smart's outside shot being similar to a scud missile.  Which (sadly?) leads to this:

What is the difference between a scud missile and a Marcus Smart 3-pointer?

While both of them could be considered to be long range projectiles with no apparent target in mind, one of them is a offensive terror weapon and the other is a terrible offence weapon.

It needs work, but that is all I got.   clown

gyso

bounce Laughing
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down