+3
arambone
wideclyde
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Boston’s brewing problem Empty Boston’s brewing problem

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:34 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-heats-rebuild-is-anything-but-clear-cut-185141943.html

Boston’s brewing problem

The Celtics have one of the NBA’s better backcourts, a nice blend of offense (Isaiah Thomas), defense (Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier) and a burgeoning star capable of both (Avery Bradley). It’s also one of the league’s most affordable, with Bradley ($8.3 million) and Thomas ($6.6 million) making well below market value, and Smart and Rozier on rookie deals.

That will change soon. Smart is eligible for an extension in 2017. A $10 million-plus offer will be the starting point of negotiations. Thomas and Bradley will be free agents in 2018, eligible for max salaries of $32.4 million per season. Neither will likely come near that, but understand: This is the ballpark Boston is playing in.

The Celtics won’t pay all of them. They can’t pay all of them, not if they want to continue to pursue another impact player. If the Celtics make a significant trade, it will undoubtedly include one or more of their star guards.

Who has the most value? A survey of a half-dozen general managers, team executives and pro personnel scouts yielded some interesting responses.

Bradley: By far the most popular. Bradley’s two-way game is oft cited, as is his ability to seamlessly assimilate into a new situation. “There wouldn’t be much adjustment bringing Bradley in,” said a team executive. “You don’t have to change the way you play. I love [Isaiah Thomas], but he is a ball-dominant guy. You bring him in, you change your offense to fit him.”

Thomas: Execs who loved Bradley were quick to add that they would jump on a deal for Thomas, too. “So dynamic,” said an exec. One concern: Thomas’ ability to assume a lesser role on a different team. “Boston plays through him, and it works,” said a scout. “But would he be happy scoring 12 points a night and winning, or does he need to put up All-Star numbers? I just don’t know.”

Smart: Uncertainty over what exactly Smart is limits his value, execs say. “He’s not a point guard and he’s not a good enough scorer to be a two guard,” said an exec. Still, several Western Conference officials chimed in with a theory: If Smart can develop into a competent point guard, his defense would be invaluable in a conference headlined by Stephen Curry, Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook and James Harden. “I’d sacrifice scoring for what he can bring defensively,” said a scout.

A wrinkle to watch: Boston can renegotiate Thomas’ and Bradley’s contracts in July. But would GM Danny Ainge sacrifice future cap space to lock in his starting backcourt?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston’s brewing problem Empty Re: Boston’s brewing problem

Post by wideclyde Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Bob,

I do not feel that Ainge and the Cs want any part of the luxury tax penalties. At least until they are much closer to having a much better overall chance to win #18. With that said, I also do not believe that either Thomas or Bradley will sign back up without testing free agency.

It just does not look like both guys will be around together going into the season that follows their free agent summer. In fact, I think that Bradley will be traded this year or next summer as Ainge knows that he is not getting a true star for his bottom of the roster guys like Mickey, Young, etc even if he is to lead a trade with one of the Nets picks.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:18 am

The Celtics are actually playing losing basketball in Bradley's 35 minutes per game: http://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/#!?sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738&CF=GP*GE*12

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:43 am

hey Rambone good to see you back.

some were wondering where the heck you've been. I figured you were in the witness protection program or something...... Cool
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:12 am

Hi,
I'm of the opinion that for Celtics $$$ is secondary to #18. Danny is under a tremendous pressure to bring the team to the contending level and I don't think he'll be stingy. Same applies to Wyk and Co. Therefore, contract decisions will be mostly based on "construction" not cost.
OTOH, when IT, AB, Smart reach their FA and if the team is at the level they'll stick around to have a shot at the ring, even it means getting underpaid.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:09 am

Question:  length of years that Boston can extend Bradley and IT?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Oh man, what a relief.

I saw the title of this thread and thought the city of Boston was shutting down it's breweries!

Then I saw it was only speculation about contracts at some future point.

I thought it was something important. Glad it's not.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:28 pm

NYCelt wrote:Oh man, what a relief.

I saw the title of this thread and thought the city of Boston was shutting down it's breweries!

I thought it was something important.  Glad it's not.

As long as Sam Adams is safe the world will continue to spin in its nicely greased grooves...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Oh man, what a relief.

I thought it was something important.  Glad it's not.

As long as Sam Adams is safe the world will continue to spin in its nicely greased grooves...

bob

Thanks for reassuring me Bob. You know how I worry about these things!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:09 pm

kdp59 wrote:hey Rambone good to see you back.

some were wondering where the heck you've been. I figured you were in the witness protection program or something...... Cool

Thanks kdp, good to see you too

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down