swish
NYCelt
jrleftfoot
wideclyde
9 posters

Go down

Keeping Marcus Smart Empty Keeping Marcus Smart

Post by wideclyde Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Any thoughts of trading Marcus Smart for anything except a completely proven and young NBA "star player" (and, I am not really sure
who that could be-any suggestions for guys who might be available?) would be a complete mistake for the Boston Celtics. I love the job
Ainge has done, but I fire him the second a trade of Smart is official.

Yes, I am reacting somewhat to his game last night in Portland, but such a performance is not either out of the ordinary this year nor will
they be in the future. This guy is improving his total game right before our eyes this season (and also last season as well). Every part of his
game is better than it was last year, even his shooting although he still needs more work in this area, and all of his game is far better than
what he showed us in his rookie year. Not sure the Cs or any of us can ask for any more right at this time from this guy.

If Ainge and Stevens gave Horford at nearly 30 years old a max level contract last summer, I will be very disappointed if Smart is still not in a Cs
uniform long enough to get his own max contract from Boston at an even earlier age. Horford may or not be worth a max deal, and I am sure that
the topic has been raised or will be raised. So, don't get me wrong, the Cs can give all the money they want to anyone they want, but if Horford as a
center/forward is worth max money Smart will be more than worth max money as a two way guard who can also defend guys much bigger
when called upon, brings guts, tenacity and quality leadership to a team.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Keeping Marcus Smart Empty Re: Keeping Marcus Smart

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Marcus has improved dramatically , especially in his ball handling and court vision. Needless to say, his tenacity is over the top. Plus , he`s the king of the flop.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:22 am

More quality games from Mr. Smart in the last week. He is a keeper!

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Wide,

No argument from me.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:49 pm

His shooting woes stamp him as a failure thus far in his career - miserable numbers for a # 6 pick - I'll be very surprised to see him reach respectability as a shooter - #3rd man in back court rotation. Will probably be moved in a trade.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 pm

swish wrote:His shooting woes stamp him as a failure thus far in his career - miserable numbers for a # 6 pick - I'll be very surprised to see him reach respectability as a shooter - #3rd man in back court rotation. Will probably be moved in a trade.

swish

theres very few perfect players out there and you still need talented hardnosed players around your superstars. Hes a great force to go at other teams stars and he compliments the teams smallish superstar offensive PG and helps the frontline and team overall, gives us abundance of toughness and offensive versatility even though hes not a good shooter % wise. swish I think your in the minority around here on his worth and value to the team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 am

swish wrote:His shooting woes stamp him as a failure thus far in his career - miserable numbers for a # 6 pick - I'll be very surprised to see him reach respectability as a shooter - #3rd man in back court rotation. Will probably be moved in a trade.

swish

Swish are you saying is shooting woes stamp him as a failure overall as a player, or stamp him as a failure as a shooter?

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:19 am

Smart is part of our defensive DNA.

He can still contribute on offense by playing the point, developing his midrange game and making free throws.

Marcus is a keeper.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 am

Nobody has been more down, consistently, on Marcus Smart because of his shooting than me.  Having said that, however, I agree with dboss 100%, he is part of our defensive DNA.  Our defense has backslid this year but it sure isn't because of our 6'4" meth-crazed wolverine with concertina-wire teeth, Marcus Smart.

If he takes his shots from the low post, where he is VERY effective and maybe only 1-2 3pt fgas to help keep the defenses honest, I'd be very happy because what he brings to the table defensively and with his physical, aggressive mindset, is QUITE valuable. He has also turned into a pretty decent

His shooting, though, ugh!  The worst...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 am

I would also add the fact that Marcus is a big time physical player on a team with several small guards.  He will play defense against 1-3.  That versatility provides Stevens with more options.

This year his most notable improvement has been his point guard skills.  He seems more comfortable in that role.  Game after game he is winning those 50/50 Plays.  He is a winner.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 am

bobc33 wrote:

swish

Swish are you saying is shooting woes stamp him as a failure overall as a player, or stamp him as a failure as a shooter?

bobc33

Stamp him as a failure as a shooter for a number 6 PICK who is currently the number 3 guard on the squad.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:39 am

After watching Smart for almost three years now, he is far from a failure even as a shooting at this time in his career.

I am very confident that if the other 29 teams in the league had a chance to get him that they would be beating each other up to get him. Smart is a guy that EVERY team would love to have.

Smart is not a great shooter, and may never be, but he will continue to improve as a shooter. I have watched him improve so much in the years he has been with us, and I fully believe that he will continue to improve in many areas (including his shooting) for at least three more years.

No one can disagree with dboss's thoughts that he is the defensive DNA on our team right now (in only his third year, by the way), and that is a pretty nice complement that has been well earned. To go even further, he is a leader and always seems to play in crunch time even as a non starter.

Again, I fire Ainge if he trades Smart for anything less than a proven, young NBA star.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:35 pm

It ain't who starts what is important, it is who finishes. Smart gets plenty of fourth quarter time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down