worcester
NYCelt
dboss
kdp59
bobheckler
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency Empty Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:34 am

http://nesn.com/2017/03/nba-rumors-celtics-to-go-hard-after-gordon-hayward-in-free-agency/

NBA Rumors: Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency

by Darren Hartwell

on Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:08AM

Here’s something you haven’t heard before: The Boston Celtics are interested in Gordon Hayward.

OK, maybe you have seen the countless reports linking the Utah Jazz star to Boston. But there’s a reason for all the chatter: Hayward seemingly would be a good fit with Celtics, considering his scoring ability from the wing and experience playing for C’s head coach Brad Stevens at Butler.

Hayward will become a free agent this summer, and there are rumors Boston will try to sign the 26-year-old forward. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports’ “The Vertical” stoked those rumors on his latest podcast, which included a discussion of why the Celtics are “looming as a real threat” to land Hayward.

Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency C6Z5MzBWYAQCFii

The Vertical ✔ @TheVertical New @TheVertical Pod w/ @WojVerticalNBA: @MrMichaelLee on the MVP race and @NickDePaula on sneaker deals. https://yhoo.it/2mFB3gP  7:03 AM - 8 Mar 2017 25 25 Retweets 101 101 likes

“There’s tremendous pressure on (Utah) right now because Gordon Hayward’s a free agent, and Boston has cap space — and Brad Stevens,” Wojnarowski said on the podcast.

“… This isn’t the reason Boston didn’t make a deal (at the NBA trade deadline), but it is part of their thought: ‘Why would we give up all of our assets for Paul George and Jimmy Butler when we could go out in free agency and sign Gordon Hayward?’ They’re going to go hard after him.”

Per Wojnarowski, a lot depends on how the Jazz fare in this year’s playoffs. If Utah, currently the Western Conference’s No. 4 seed, fails to make a deep playoff run, Hayward might be more inclined to sign elsewhere in free agency, seeing as guard George Hill also will be a free agent in 2017.

“They want to be able to achieve in the postseason and show Gordon, ‘Hey, we’ve got a group here for you that we’re going to win big with,'” Wojnarowski added. “But Boston is in a pretty good position. They’ve got a pretty good situation. They are going to take a shot at him, assuming they don’t do something big at the (NBA) draft.” Thumbnail photo via Jeff Swinger/USA TODAY Sports Images

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency Empty Re: Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:19 am

well, there IS that cap issue that was discussed earlier.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency Empty Re: Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency

Post by dboss Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 am

We will continue to read about Hayward going to Boston. There are pros and cons to consider.

Hayward is not a superstar but he has all the offensive tools that would fit in perfectly with Boston. He shoots the ball well from behind the arc, at the line and on 2 pt attempts. He has a solid handle. He can rebound. And he is only 26 and just entering his prime. The Celtics need to add another consistent wing scorer and hayward would certainly fit the bill. These are the positive things he would bring to the table

The cons are also there. He is a SF and the Celtics already have Crowder and backup Jalen Brown at the SF. Hayward is not a lock down defender. Crowder can swing to the PF spot but Hayward is best suited at the SF and may not be quick enough to play SG. Crowder is a tough physical defender and Jalen is also proving that he can become a factor on the defensive end. Hayward would be looking for a max level contract. The Celtics have cap friendly numbers in place for Crowder and Jalen is still under a rookie contract. The Celtics need to focus on adding a 4/5 and not a SF. The Celtics have their own free agents to deal with but there is only so much money to go around. From a pure business sense why spend big money to upgrade a position that does not need to be upgraded.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:31 am

Since the Butler and George rumors are shot, we need someone new. Hayward is now up.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:53 am

Dboss, I just don't get it. We are looking at giving a max contract to someone to play the three when that is a position where we are stacked. Jae and Jalen are truly all we need there. The 4 and 5 spots are crying out for help, and I'd like us to get a point guard who can defend, rebound, distribute, and shoot well. Marcelle Fultz please. I used to like Rozier, but now he is pissing me off. He's like a kid playing CYO ball who has to shoot whenever he gets the ball (1 for 4 last night), and he simply won't pass the ball to Jalen. Marcus is that way too. What did he shoot from the field against the W's? 1-8, and he can't see fit to pass the ball to Jalen? WTF? I love Marcus's game except for his shooting and disrespect for Jalen. We need a smarter point guard (no pun intended), one who will pass where and when appropriate. Rozier is not it. Trade him. Marcus needs a talking to by Brad, a coach who is seriously messing up by not utilizing the #3 pick in the draft properly. Here's a concept Brad - draw up plays for Jalen. Instruct your PG to pass him the ball. Brown was posting up against that 185 pound shrimp McCaw last night, a perfect chances for easy baskets, and he was ignored time after time. Brad should see that crap and call out his guards for ignoring Jalen.

Back to Hayward - is that where we want to go? Really?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:56 am

NYCelt wrote:Since the Butler and George rumors are shot, we need someone new.  Hayward is now up.

I guarantee you that one of them will be back in the mix.

I think Boston would really like to add an athletic PF that can also play SF.  Or a PF that can also play at the 5  George fits part of that  description.  But Bird will demand a King's ransom which pretty much defeats the entire outcome.

The great thing is that Boston is in the midst of fighting for playoff position.  We still need some stuff but there is no sense of urgency.  At least not yet.

The Celtics have 3 second round picks this year.  I would love to see them turn those picks into a future # 1.

The Celtics will very likely have both Yabu and Zizic on the team next year and they may retain their 1st pick.,  Then you have Nadar waiting for his opportunity.  Zeller is probably gone since his utilization this year has been pretty stagnant.  Mickey is probably gone unless the Celtics think that he can make outside shots.  He is just not big enough be be a factor in the post.  Young will be gone if Boston adds another guard.  Jonas is on then bubble and will be an unrestricted free agent that may be able to get more cash if he leaves.  KO will be retained but I think it will be just a one year deal.  Last but not least the $12 million Amir contract is up but I think he is a real important part of the team chemistry.  $6-8 mill for 3 years with the 3rd year not guaranteed seems in line.

Notice that I have not mentioned any free agents or trades.  That could also happen and is likely to happen.

We have too many assets for the number of roster spots.  Consolidation must happen so it would be wise not to fall in love with any of our players.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Liking Yabu at the 4 and 5 as a backup.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 pm

worcester wrote:Dboss, I just don't get it. We are looking at giving a max contract to someone to play the three when that is a position where we are stacked. Jae and Jalen are truly all we need there. The 4 and 5 spots are crying out for help, and I'd like us to get a point guard who can defend, rebound, distribute, and shoot well. Marcelle Fultz please. I used to like Rozier, but now he is pissing me off. He's like a kid playing CYO ball who has to shoot whenever he gets the ball (1 for 4 last night), and he simply won't pass the ball to Jalen. Marcus is that way too. What did he shoot from the field against the W's? 1-8, and he can't see fit to pass the ball to Jalen? WTF? I love Marcus's game except for his shooting and disrespect for Jalen. We need a smarter point guard (no pun intended), one who will pass where and when appropriate. Rozier is not it. Trade him. Marcus needs a talking to by Brad, a coach who is seriously messing up by not utilizing the #3 pick in the draft properly. Here's a concept Brad - draw up plays for Jalen. Instruct your PG to pass him the ball. Brown was posting up against that 185 pound shrimp McCaw last night, a perfect chances for easy baskets, and he was ignored time after time. Brad should see that crap and call out his guards for ignoring Jalen.

Back to Hayward - is that where we want to go? Really?

Worcester

A lot of the chatter comes from the pundits. They have a rather shallow understanding about the Celtics.  We as fans are looking at all the angles.  

The shot selection at times was poor but I noticed a lot of standing around as the shot clock was ticking away.  Guys were forced to take bad shots.  Rozier certainly has some great athletic skills but he does not seem to have a feel for running the offense.  He did make one good pocket pass last night.  Marcus is Marcus.  He is not going to be a good offensive player.  At this point I have accepted that fact.  On balance the Celtics need to determine if his production on the defensive end and his physical toughness and other intangibles make up for his lack of offensive production.  

One of the issues with the Celtics offense is that it does not take advantage of mismatches.  The ball does move but mostly around the perimeter.  We really do not run a low post offense where a guy like Jalen can attack the rim.  One of the issues is that IT is also a ball dominant PG but he is not a great passer that can effectively feed the post.  When Boston is able to get backdoor cuts or if KO is able to establish a favorable position the opportunity is there for easy baskets.

One of the things that I really like about Fultz is that he has high end passing skills and because he is 6' 4" with a wing span of around 6' 10" he is able to get the ball to open guys.

Sorry..  I'm rambling!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Keep talking Fultz to me Dboss. It's like music to my ears. We need that perimeter passing AND passing to the low post. Why the hell not? Because our guards are not the best passers. Not that they can't pas. They just don't have the bball IQ of a Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo when it comes to making those passes inside.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Does the thought of tying up two max contracts on Horford and Hayward bother anyone else?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:02 pm

With the chips that he has at his disposal over the next 2 years, I expect Danny to make a blockbuster of a deal - one that will put the Celts on a par with the leagues elite.Haywood is not the answer.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:24 pm

swish wrote:With the chips that he has at his disposal over the next 2 years, I expect Danny to make a blockbuster of a deal - one that will put the Celts on a par with the leagues elite.Haywood is not the answer.

swish

Danny has been looking for a blockbuster trade for about 2 years now.
Maybe he will find one, maybe he won't.
The big questions marks going forward are the potential contracts of IT and Bradley.
They are running out of time with IT, Bradley, Smart and Olynyk playing on cheap contracts.
I agree that Boston should not pay $25m+ per year to Hayward.
He's a really good player. Not a great player, and one that Boston doesn't really need.
Signing Hayward would take them out of the running for 2018 free agents, if they want to re-sign IT or Bradley.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:48 pm

tjmakz wrote:
swish wrote:With the chips that he has at his disposal over the next 2 years, I expect Danny to make a blockbuster of a deal - one that will put the Celts on a par with the leagues elite.Haywood is not the answer.

swish

The big questions marks going forward are the potential contracts of IT and Bradley.
They are running out of time with IT, Bradley, Smart and Olynyk playing on cheap contracts.
He's a really good player. Not a great player, and one that Boston doesn't really need.
Signing Hayward would take them out of the running for 2018 free agents, if they want to re-sign IT or Bradley.

tj

Always easier said than done - you must always have a willing partner. I've got my fingers crossed.
And how about your Lakers? Their rebuild is really going to start at the bottom - but like the Celts they figure to have the chips needed for a quick return to the top - unless they plan to do the makeover strictly through the draft. What course do you see management taking?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:03 pm

worcester wrote:Keep talking Fultz to me Dboss. It's like music to my ears. We need that perimeter passing AND passing to the low post. Why the hell not? Because our guards are not the best passers. Not that they can't pas. They just don't have the bball IQ of a Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo when it comes to making those passes inside.

Worcester

The key to the Celtics passing the ball is spacing and creating angles for passing into the post. vertical passing angles are difficult. Would like to see more diagonal passes along with constant movement.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:05 pm

swish wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

swish

tj

Always easier said than done - you must always have a willing partner. I've got my fingers crossed.
 And how about your Lakers?  Their rebuild is really going to start at the bottom - but like the Celts they figure to have the chips needed for a quick return to the top - unless they plan to do the makeover strictly through the draft. What course do you see management taking?

swish

As for the Lakers, keeping their pick this year is extremely important to them.

I'm definitely concerned about the Lakers.
The contracts given to Deng and Mozgov look like disasters.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers waived one of them and ate the remaining $35m or so on their contract over 5 years, in order to free up money for Cousins or Paul George in 2018.
My biggest concern is about D'Angelo Russell. He does not have a strong motor. If his shot is not falling, he's not helping his team.
Russell could be a really good player or a bust.
I'm not to worried about Ingram. Based on his body, he should not be in the NBA right now.
I don't know if he will be a star, but I think he will be at the minimum a solid NBA player.

The last 3 years, there has been an incentive to lose. To keep their draft picks.
After this year, there's no incentive to lose.

If LA keeps their pick, they could possibly draft Fultz or Ball to play PG, then they could move Russell to SG.

The Lakers organization is an embarrassing mess.
I don't blame Jeanie Buss.
She gave Mitch and Jimmy time.
Time was up. Now, Jimmy is going to extreme measures to stay involved and to disrupt Jeanie's plan.

It's been a tough 5 years from the Dwightmare, Nash, Kobe getting old, Jimmy Buss running the team, the embarrassment from free agents basically ignoring the Lakers and the constant losing.

Things are definitely looking up.
Keeping the pick this year will be huge for the Lakers.
I'm hoping for ping pong ball success...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Jeanie maintaining control is the real key to the Lakers' future success.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:23 pm

tjmakz wrote:
swish wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

swish

tj

And how about your Lakers?  Their rebuild is really going to start at the bottom - but like the Celts they figure to have the chips needed for a quick return to the top - unless they plan to do the makeover strictly through the draft. What course do you see management taking?

swish

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers waived one of them and ate the remaining $35m or so on their contract over 5 years, in order to free up money for Cousins or Paul George in 2018.
My biggest concern is about D'Angelo Russell. He does not have a strong motor. If his shot is not falling, he's not helping his team.
I'm not to worried about Ingram. Based on his body, he should not be in the NBA right now.
I don't know if he will be a star, but I think he will be at the minimum a solid NBA player.

The last 3 years, there has been an incentive to lose. To keep their draft picks.

If LA keeps their pick, they could possibly draft Fultz or Ball to play PG, then they could move Russell to SG.

Time was up. Now, Jimmy is going to extreme measures to stay involved and to disrupt Jeanie's plan.

It's been a tough 5 years from the Dwightmare, Nash, Kobe getting old, Jimmy Buss running the team, the embarrassment from free agents basically ignoring the Lakers and the constant losing.

tj

Thanks for for your thoughts on the Lakers future. Perhaps your Lakers and My Celtics will both rise to the top in the very near future and we can both carry on the rivalry via the keyboard.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:29 pm

I like Hayward, but probably he is not a good fit on the Cs for two big reasons. First, he will be too expensive for what he brings to the table, and second the Cs will have to move Crowder out.

Hayward is a better scorer than Crowder, but I am not sure that he is a better player for our team on our roster. Crowder is a great 'glue' player and has done much to re-shape the culture of our team, he is a better rebounder and a far better defender.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:48 pm

I do not think LA is at ground zero.

They have some significant young talent, a decent coach and Jeannie at the helm along with Magic.

They have mostly focused on offensive minded players like Russell and Ingram.  They have a few vets Deng and Corey Brewer but what they lack most are guys that can play both ends of the court.  There are no shut down defenders on the team.  If they remain as the 2nd worst team they get to keep the pick otherwise Philly gets it.  They also have a late first rounder and early second round pick in the draft.

Both Deng and Mozgov and Clarkston are signed long term ($44 mill per year for the 3 of them)

Magic has his work cut out as they really need a better blend of players.  I think they are 3-5 years away from making any noise.

In that regards I guess they are at the bottom.  I convinced myself.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:49 pm

tjmakz wrote:
swish wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

swish

tj

swish

"I'm hoping for ping pong ball success..."

Welcome to the club.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:23 pm

dboss wrote:I do not think LA is at ground zero.

They have some significant young talent, a decent coach and Jeannie at the helm along with Magic.

They have mostly focused on offensive minded players like Russell and Ingram.  They have a few vets Deng and Corey Brewer but what they lack most are guys that can play both ends of the court.  There are no shut down defenders on the team.  If they remain as the 2nd worst team they get to keep the pick otherwise Philly gets it.  They also have a late first rounder and early second round pick in the draft.

Both Deng and Mozgov and Clarkston are signed long term ($44 mill per year for the 3 of them)

Magic has his work cut out as they really need a better blend of players.  I think they are 3-5 years away from making any noise.

In that regards I guess they are at the bottom.  I convinced myself.

dboss

To clarify, if the Lakers keep their 1st round pick this year, their 2017 and 2018 2nd round picks go to Orlando and LA will keep their 2019 1st round pick.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Paul George has pretty much said he wants to sign with the Lakers year after next, right?

of course with all the money they threw at Mozgov and Deng, maybe they won't have the money for a REAL Free agent....ouch!!!

and also I thought last year the betting money was that DeRozen was a lock to sign with the Lakers also...so I guess you never know who is blowing smoke...or maybe the Lakers just wanted Mozgov THAT much....ouch again.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:48 pm

kdp59 wrote:Paul George has pretty much said he wants to sign with the Lakers year after next, right?

of course with all the money they threw at Mozgov and Deng, maybe they won't have the money for a REAL Free agent....ouch!!!

and also I thought last year the betting money was that DeRozen was a lock to sign with the Lakers also...so I guess you never know who is blowing smoke...or maybe the Lakers just wanted Mozgov THAT much....ouch again.

The Lakers will have more than enough cap space to be in the hunt for George should they choose to - and also assuming that George is still on the market in 18-19.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:21 pm

kdp59 wrote:Paul George has pretty much said he wants to sign with the Lakers year after next, right?

Can George get more money by resigning with Indiana?

In the case for the Lakers they already have $44 million committed to 3 players and those are bad contracts. Add a minimum of $25 million for George and then they are up to $69 mill for 4 players. It is gong take them several years just to get out from under the bad contracts and that will stymie their rebuild.

Wish I could say that I feel sorry for them but i don't

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 pm

The way Brown is progressing the Celtics may not need Hayward who would be coming to the Celtics at an expensive price.

Best advice..........wait it out unless Hayward comes at a reasonable price.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next