worcester
NYCelt
dboss
kdp59
bobheckler
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:25 pm

swish wrote:
kdp59 wrote:Paul George has pretty much said he wants to sign with the Lakers year after next, right?

of course with all the money they threw at Mozgov and Deng, maybe they won't have the money for a REAL Free agent....ouch!!!

and also I thought last year the betting money was that DeRozen was a lock to sign with the Lakers also...so I guess you never know who is blowing smoke...or maybe the Lakers just wanted Mozgov THAT much....ouch again.

The Lakers will have more than enough cap space to be in the hunt for George should they choose to - and also assuming that George is still on the market in 18-19.

swish

I am wondering if people are taking George's comment too seriously - what if it was just an offhand remark??? I can't imagine he would actually give up A LOT more money to play with a team whose rebuilding timeline doesn't match his age. It doesn't make sense. Further, any even remotely competent agent will make sure he either gets the most money possible, or goes to a team with a shot of winning. If he just wants to sign with his hometown team, whats the point of even having an agent....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics To ‘Go Hard After’ Gordon Hayward In Free Agency

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:18 pm

112288 wrote:The way Brown is progressing the Celtics may not need Hayward who would be coming to the Celtics at an expensive price.

Best advice..........wait it out unless Hayward comes at a reasonable price.

...which he won't.  There will multiple teams willing to pay him roughly $25 million a year, unfortunately/especially because teams are always wanting a white star for their fan base.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:24 pm

steve3344 wrote:
112288 wrote:The way Brown is progressing the Celtics may not need Hayward who would be coming to the Celtics at an expensive price.

Best advice..........wait it out unless Hayward comes at a reasonable price.

...which he won't.  There will multiple teams willing to pay him roughly $25 million a year, unfortunately/especially because teams are always wanting a white star for their fan base.

steve,

And he's only 26 years old and an All-Star this year. Color of his skin aside, teams are always wanting an all-star in their prime for their fan base.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Our fan base is very solid and I believe color blind so neither being white nor being an All Star I think will cause Danny to pay full price for Hayward. He can get a cheaper sharp shooter if he wants. It boils down to win baby win!

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:26 pm

tjmakz wrote:
swish wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
swish wrote:With the chips that he has at his disposal over the next 2 years, I expect Danny to make a blockbuster of a deal - one that will put the Celts on a par with the leagues elite.Haywood is not the answer.

swish

Danny has been looking for a blockbuster trade for about 2 years now.
Maybe he will find one, maybe he won't.
The big questions marks going forward are the potential contracts of IT and Bradley.
They are running out of time with IT, Bradley, Smart and Olynyk playing on cheap contracts.
I agree that Boston should not pay $25m+ per year to Hayward.
He's a really good player. Not a great player, and one that Boston doesn't really need.
Signing Hayward would take them out of the running for 2018 free agents, if they want to re-sign IT or Bradley.

tj

Always easier said than done - you must always have a willing partner. I've got my fingers crossed.
 And how about your Lakers?  Their rebuild is really going to start at the bottom - but like the Celts they figure to have the chips needed for a quick return to the top - unless they plan to do the makeover strictly through the draft. What course do you see management taking?

swish

As for the Lakers, keeping their pick this year is extremely important to them.

I'm definitely concerned about the Lakers.
The contracts given to Deng and Mozgov look like disasters.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers waived one of them and ate the remaining $35m or so on their contract over 5 years, in order to free up money for Cousins or Paul George in 2018.
My biggest concern is about D'Angelo Russell. He does not have a strong motor. If his shot is not falling, he's not helping his team.
Russell could be a really good player or a bust.
I'm not to worried about Ingram. Based on his body, he should not be in the NBA right now.
I don't know if he will be a star, but I think he will be at the minimum a solid NBA player.

The last 3 years, there has been an incentive to lose. To keep their draft picks.
After this year, there's no incentive to lose.

If LA keeps their pick, they could possibly draft Fultz or Ball to play PG, then they could move Russell to SG.

The Lakers organization is an embarrassing mess.
I don't blame Jeanie Buss.
She gave Mitch and Jimmy time.
Time was up. Now, Jimmy is going to extreme measures to stay involved and to disrupt Jeanie's plan.

It's been a tough 5 years from the Dwightmare, Nash, Kobe getting old, Jimmy Buss running the team, the embarrassment from free agents basically ignoring the Lakers and the constant losing.

Things are definitely looking up.
Keeping the pick this year will be huge for the Lakers.
I'm hoping for ping pong ball success...

Regarding your below statement

"I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers waived one of them and ate the remaining $35m or so on their contract over 5 years, in order to free up money for Cousins or Paul George in 2018."

If it's legal to use the stretch provision on 2 players in a season - I could see them waiving both Deng and Mozgov to free up the cash needed to be in the hunt for elite players.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 am

dboss wrote:
kdp59 wrote:Paul George has pretty much said he wants to sign with the Lakers year after next, right?

of course with all the money they threw at Mozgov and Deng, maybe they won't have the money for a REAL Free agent....ouch!!!

and also I thought last year the betting money was that DeRozen was a lock to sign with the Lakers also...so I guess you never know who is blowing smoke...or maybe the Lakers just wanted Mozgov THAT much....ouch again.

Can George get more money by resigning with Indiana?

In the case for the Lakers they already have $44 million committed to 3 players and those are bad contracts.  Add a minimum of $25 million for George and then they are up to $69 mill for 4 players.  It is gong take them several years just to get out from under the bad contracts and that will stymie their rebuild.  

Wish I could say that I feel sorry for them but i don't  

dboss

dboss

If they need to create more cap space to be able to chase free agents, they can always release (waive) Deng and/or Mozgov and use the Stretch provision of the CBA to reduce their payroll. At least that's the way I read the stretch provision.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2